PDA

View Full Version : Out of Pocket Q

luvdiznee
01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
What restaurants are worth paying OOP for? Still deciding on where to go. We need a few more. Who hasn't disappointed you that you would pay for yourself. :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
01-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Most of the buffets, (obviously) - our favorite is 1900 Park Fair for breakfast, and Cape May at the Beach Club for dinner.

Akershaus was NOT worth the price, IMHO, and Biergarten wasn't as good as we remembered.

The most "expensive" OOP prices were on burgers and fries type of stuff - we could have eaten at Mexico CS or Chinese CS for that price.

The signature top of the line places like France, Italy, and Canada???? If you love what you get, you won't mind paying. Le Cellier is AWESOME to us

We've never been on a dining plan, and OOP is expensive in Disney. This last trip, for the two of us for eight days, it was almost $800, but we ate well.:cloud9:

luvdiznee
01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Thank you for the ideas. We have Cape May scheduled but have been thinking about changing that to 1900 Pk, since we plan to go to Beaches & Cream, for some expensive tasty burgers. :DAnd so to spread ourselves around more, that will be enough for seeing BW area, too. We do also plan on France at Epcot for lunch. May look into LeCellier. :cool:But yes, just want to eat well. ALMOST no matter what the cost. ;)

SBETigg
01-21-2009, 05:45 PM
The signature top of the line places like France, Italy, and Canada???? If you love what you get, you won't mind paying. Le Cellier is AWESOME to us.

France, Italy, Canada all have good restaurants, but they're not considered Signature Dining by Disney standards. They're only one credit on the dining plan, which is a pretty good deal for all you get at these places. Le Cellier is probably the best of the three, but it still can't compare to Disney's true Signature dining restaurants (Flying Fish Cafe, California Grill, Narcoossee's, Artist Point, etc). The one Signature restaurant you are probably better off paying OOP is Hollywood Brown Derby, and it was worth it-- really good.

Otherwise, like Marilyn said, a lot of the buffet dining is a better bargain OOP, especially at breakfast time. Breakfast, in general, is a good bet OOP. Sci-Fi Dine In is definitely an OOP choice if you venture there. Great atmosphere, good snacks, shakes, burgers, not great dinner food. Lunch can also be very affordable at most places and some of the WS restaurants have inclusive specials that are really a bargain comparatively.

luvdiznee
01-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Otherwise, like Marilyn said, a lot of the buffet dining is a better bargain OOP, especially at breakfast time. Breakfast, in general, is a good bet OOP. Sci-Fi Dine In is definitely an OOP choice if you venture there. Great atmosphere, good snacks, shakes, burgers, not great dinner food. Lunch can also be very affordable at most places and some of the WS restaurants have inclusive specials that are really a bargain comparatively.

Good to hear breakfast buffet can be a good deal, we got Donald's for one morning. I've thought about Narcoossee's too, but decided to go w/Fulton's for the seafood experience. Also going to do Hollywood Rolls for some grapefruit cake. I guess we got some good choices, just like to do some double checking when paying w/cash. :DThanks :mickey:

Natazu
01-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Jym’s Top-7 WDW Restaurants for Value*:
7. Boma
6. Yak and Yeti
5. Brown Derby
4. Marrakesh
3. California Grill
2. Grand Floridian Café
1. 'Ohana

*Value ratings are based on an average of food quality, service level, and cost. Basically, do you get what you pay for?

DizneyRox
01-21-2009, 08:51 PM
I've found OOP is a better value everywhere vs the dining plans. I order what I want and tend to not overeat becuase I've afraid I will waste a credit.

If you're looking for good value, Trails End is arguably the best value on property. I've found the buffets are for the most part overpriced, but the food is generally pretty good (Hollywood and Vine being an exception).

But, I also don't feel that the prices are so far out of whack at Disney for food. Considering the locations, convenience, quality, etc. I said food, not drink!

Polynesian Dweller
01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
People have already mentioned some good ones, but one that is not on the DDP and you have to pay OOP that is very good is Portabello in DTD. We go most years and have yet to be disappointed. Its now Tuscan based Italian food. The food and service are great and we even enjoyed our evening this year during its refurb construction. Worth a try!

Marilyn Michetti
01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
These questions are always hard to answer because what we like to eat is so different from person to person.

You can actually view menu's and prices online by "googling" in the name of the restaurant. If you like the food you get will be the definitive test.

Let me know what you think of Fulton's - I've always wanted to go there.:chef:

Goofy Coach
01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Without a doubt my favorite is O'hana. When we went last year (DW & I), we carried breakfast food to eat in the room and shared a combo meal at a counter service then had a sit down meal. This gave us more freedom in my opinion. We were on the DP before and you felt obligated to eat so much food. We spent probably half the money of the dining plan and didn't go hungry by any means.

luvdiznee
01-22-2009, 05:51 PM
May think about adding Boma to our list, since we can't seem to get into 1900 Pk Fare. Thought about Ohana' but I just remember the last time we went, there were 5 of us and that seems a better number than 2 for there, at least. Got GF Cafe' for breakfast. And I agree with the post about not having to worry about wasting credits. I looked at the menu at Portabello, will definitely keep them in mind, the menu looked very good, but I think Fulton's will be our big splurge at DTD this time. Thanks again, everyone. :mickey:

bkfree
01-23-2009, 11:31 AM
We always do the DDP but also end up paying a few OOP.
We always pay CP breakfast OOP as well as 50's Prime Time and Sci Fi.
I would pay Boma also OOP if needed.
We LOVE Tutto Italia, CHefs De France,La Cellier and Kona but DDP makes those meals much cheaper so not sure I would pay OOP for those.

lockedoutlogic
01-23-2009, 12:04 PM
The original question is somewhat enigmatic.....

what is the difference between something being "worth out of pocket" and not?

They've gutted those dining plans to the point where you are not really "saving" anything....so seriously.......what gives?