PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do the horseback riding at Fort Wilderness?

mouseketeer mom
01-21-2009, 04:02 PM
I made a reservation for our family for our March trip. It seemed expensive to me for a 45 minute ride. The only other time we have done this was at Garden of the Gods in Colorado and it was a highlight of our trip. Whats it like at Fort Wilderness? I'd love to hear all about it!

FaithTrustPixieDust
01-21-2009, 04:08 PM
I looked into it one time and was deterred because of this statement:

Riders must be at least 9 years old and 48 inches tall and can weigh no more than 250 pounds.

It does not say if kids younger than 9 can ride with an adult . . . .

mouseketeer mom
01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Same with me, but finally we are all 9 and older, so thought we might pull it off!

PrettyMinnie
01-23-2009, 12:18 PM
The horseback riding is a really nice experiece but probably nothing like when you went in Colorodo. When my family did it, we all had tons of fun if you can get past the prices!

Nascfan
01-23-2009, 01:23 PM
We did it in June and it was great! Let me preface this by saying that my family are NOT accomplished riders by any means. I've ridden a few times and it was only the 2nd time for my wife and daughter. There is no galloping or even trotting, so if you are used to being on horses and looking to do that, you may be a little disappointed.

That said, we really enjoyed the experience. The trail goes through some really old stands of pine and such so that you could easily forget you are in Florida. While out, we saw about 4 deer grazing off to the right side. I heard a noise to the left, turned, and saw a buck bounding through the forest. The guides were very friendly and the "chaser" rode up and down the line, taking some time with each guest and talking to all a little about their trip and such, and answering any questions thrown at them about the horses, any at all.

The price can seem prohibitive, and truth be told, we may not have done it, but was something special we wanted to do for our anniversary. We really enjoyed it. Hope this helps, and if not, or if you want more info, feel free to pm me.

DonaldsBFF
01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
This is my first ever post on Intercot and I thought what better way than to reply about one of my favorite things to do while in WDW. We have done this twice and really enjoyed it both times. Though it is definately not for a seasoned horseback rider who is looking to go galloping throught the woods. In my opinion it is a very relaxing activity in a beautiful setting. On our most recent trip over the Christmas holiday we too saw 4 deer on the trail ride. I was very suprised at how calm they were and how close they came to the horses. Being from Pennsylvania I have never seen such a thing, but I guess they are used to people and get fed pretty often by campers. I would think it is safe to say that they have probably never been shot at either. Anyway I would say that if you are looking for something different and enjoyable, this is worth it.
One thing I would advise is to keep an eye on your horse the whole time and don't let it think you are daydreaming. My wife's horse kept trying to stop for a bite to eat and one time went off the trail and started chowing down and would not move. One of the guides had to come and get it back on the trail. It was kind of funny to watch, she was so scared but never in any danger. It is one memory that I will always remember from our trip.

faline
01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I haven't done this in years and am by no means an accomplished rider but I wasn't overly impressed by the Disney ride. If what you want is a guided walk, this will work.

mouseketeer mom
01-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone! I did book the horseback riding on my daughters birthday, and we are going to follow thru. Believe me, we are not accomplished at riding AT ALL!! As a matter of fact, on our Colorado trip I had an evil horse:thedolls: named Daisy who seemed really annoyed I was on her back. She kept kicking the horse behind her, ventured off the trails, stopped and ate everything in her path, trotted when she wasn't supposed to, and kept her ears back which scared me to death most of the ride. Apparently, the guides knew Daisy's temperment and helped me thru it. I'm hoping the Disney horses are a little more chill!! I'm hoping for a relaxing ride this time. Thanks everyone. Loved to hear your opinions on this adventure!:mickey: