PDA

View Full Version : POP or free off-site

NODUDE
01-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Going last week of February and have Marriott points to stay off-site at the Spring Hill Suits. However, to stay on-site at POP with the 7 for 4 deal will only cost about $300.00 more after food etc. is accounted for. Several things seem to be a plus for staying on-site, especially the extra magic hours that time of year. Also planning on trying the quick service meal plan this time (regular meal plan was simply too much food). Some concern having never stayed at value resort. Any opinions on the off-site vs. on-site at pop.

adoptionislove
01-21-2009, 03:10 PM
I vote for on site at the POP.

You wont have to deal with the transportation and if it is only $300 I say go for it!!!

JerseyDad
01-21-2009, 03:14 PM
...definitely go for POP. The convenience of transportation....plus the immersion in the "magic"...makes it an easy choice.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-21-2009, 03:14 PM
If it is only $300 more total....Go for POP on-site. Park your car and not move it once you are there. Let someone else drive you back to your room. The "magic" of being on-site....morning and evening EMH....

Save the points for another destination.

nanapop
01-21-2009, 06:35 PM
A big advantage to staying inside is that you won't have to pay to park. The last I knew it was $12 a day.
If you have small children the morning EMH really pay off at MK. Fantasy Land can be done before the crowds come in. It's fun to see MK without a lot of people.
Plus you get more of the magic when you stay on property.

Daisy712
01-21-2009, 09:01 PM
We had the same dilemma. We had a free place to stay, but we chose to use the 7 for 4 and booked 2 rooms at Pop. Staying on site is part of the Disney experience. We think it is well worth the money. Have fun.:mickey:

DakotaDisney
01-21-2009, 09:59 PM
On site !!!

For the same reasons as what has been said all ready.

Have a great trip!!!!:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
01-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Absolutely Pop!

TheRustyScupper
01-22-2009, 09:14 AM
1) Stay off-site.
2) Even with parking, $300 is a lot of souvenirs.

MOJoe
01-22-2009, 09:45 AM
For some people $300 is a lot of money. For others, not so much. So ask yourself, if you haven't already, is $300 too much to pay for the added conveniences you get being onsite. Most of the folks on this board i think will say that it is not.

That said, you have to consider all other things are equal. In other words, if you don't think the accomodations at POP will meet your needs, you have to count that as a cost.
Everyone's situation is different, but for me and mine, it's hard to beat being on site.

tinkerbelle75
01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
I rarely disagree with Rusty...however, I have never and would never stay off site. It is definitely worth the 300 extra to not have to deal with parking, getting there, etc. Just wait till you want to go somewhere less "Magical" to use your points!

NODUDE
01-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the replies. We've booked the POP. Actually hadn't accounted for Parking and the discount at the Kennels for on-site, so more like a $200.00 difference. We're squeezing two vacations out of the price of what would normally be one, Disney and a week in the Smokies, so can't complain about the prices at all and look forward to staying at POP.

#1donaldfan
01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm glad you made up your mind that way, 'cause I was gonna put in my vote for onsite too !! You just can't compare with staying on property !!:mickey:

Nascfan
01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
A lot of people forget about parking $ when comparing offsite vs onsite. I'm glad someone pointed that out above.

And I think you'll like Pop. :thumbsup:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies. We've booked the POP. Actually hadn't accounted for Parking and the discount at the Kennels for on-site, so more like a $200.00 difference. We're squeezing two vacations out of the price of what would normally be one, Disney and a week in the Smokies, so can't complain about the prices at all and look forward to staying at POP.

Disney AND the Smokie Mtns. Sounds like a great Win/Win! My family LOVES the Smokie Mtns. and we get to visit everytime we go across state to pick up our oldest son at his college.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I think you made a good decision...the convenience and perks of staying on site are worth it....

princessgirls
01-22-2009, 02:38 PM
My March 2007 staying off-site at a friends time-share for "free" was my most expensive Disney trip ever.

Enough said...

Tink#64
01-23-2009, 12:05 AM
I vote for Pop! Last year we made a spur of the moment trip to WDW, we planned 1 week before arriving! WDW had nothing at all available for our first couple of days so we stayed off site for the first time ever! We got such a great price at that hotel that I :blush: actaully asked DH if we should just stay there all week & luckily he said no way! It really didn't feel like our vacation actually began until we checked in at Pop, parked our van & were totally emmersed in the whole Disney experience! It's just such a different "Feel" - the WDW atmosphere!

Another plus that I'd never given any thought to, our youngest DS got sick one evening just in time for Fantasmic. Luckily we were already at Pop and using Disney transpo. We were able to let DH & older DS stay & enjoy Fantasmic while I took sick guy back to the room. Now granted, it wouldn't have been the end of the world if we'd all have had to leave, but having that option in just such situations is so nice. I find it so much nicer to just be surrounded by all things Disney & let them do the driving - way more relaxing to me! :thumbsup:

Yvette
01-23-2009, 06:33 AM
I agree that POP is the way to go.

Similar to the last post: Back in '02 we stayed at Doubletree Suites at DTD for a few days before moving to Beach Club. I remember thinking that the Suites were a great value, nice and cool that it was by DTD.

I even considered just staying there the rest of the week instead of switching. Boy, did my attitude change! There was no comparison to staying onsite. As another poster said, it changed the trip from being a "day trip" to a magical trip. :D Now we wouldn't consider staying offsite. (BTW I have a sister who lives near WDW where we could stay for free).