PDA

View Full Version : Is this doable, more importantly, enjoyable?

Jen C.
01-21-2009, 01:36 PM
We have taken annual trips to WDW as a family for many years, the most recent being this past Sept.
My children (8, 7, and nearly 3), have a week off of school the 3rd wk. in Feb. My DH is unable to get any time off of work. I am considering taking the kids by myself. Even though we've gone many times, we've never utilized Magic Express, which in this case I would need to use. We would take a non-stop flight from Detroit, and stay at either the BC or Poly. What I'm concerned with is that I will be unable to take my older 2 on the "big" rides, because I will have my little one.(At what age are youngsters allowed to board rides unattended?. I thought it was 7 or 8 for SM?) Also, how "smoothly" does ME work. Is this just a crazy idea?
We're thinking 4 or 5 nights tops. What are your thoughts? I appreciate the help. Thanks!

LoriSan
01-21-2009, 01:56 PM
I can't answer your question about your kids riding without you, but I can tell you that Magical Express makes things soooo easy. You just grab your carry ons from the plane and catch the bus, and get dropped off at your hotel. Easy-peasy!

DisneyCrazed580
01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Hey Jen,
I'm doing the exact same thing in March. My husband can't join us, so I'm taking my 9 & 12 year old by myself. We've always taken the Magical Express and it's great. Hope you have a great time:mickey:

jonahbear2006
01-21-2009, 02:03 PM
If you get them fast passes, I don't see why at 8 and 7 you cant stand near the exit and wait for them. If you have an extra cell phone or you can add an extra line for 9.99, why not do that. you can even get one at walmart and put minutes on it if you dont want to use your cell account to add on. This way you will always be in touch. At 7, my parents let me wander around a store to shop and I have talked to a couple who even stood by grand floridian's stop and let their kids ride the monorail at young ages and then then they got off when they came back around. I think us parents nowadays are very careful but at times we are very overly paranoid. My rules would be, you dont back out of the line,always stick together, and one doesn't go without the other. If you are right by the exit, there is only one way to find them. Just make sure you have a way to communicate. Text would be even better.

mouseketeer mom
01-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I think it is doable and enjoyable. I would keep the trip short, 4 or 5 nights tops. ME will be such an asset. One less thing to juggle. Off the plane, onto the bus, luggage appears later, as easy as that. I've never travelled by plane alone with the kids, but I have been at the parks alone with them for days at a time while my DH worked or conferenced at WDW. Its much easier then it seems. We have always stayed at the Poly when we did this and traveling from this resort to the parks is easy. I have put my kids alone on the rides and waited for them at the end, and also, my 2 older girls have rode the monorail by themselves as well, although your kids are too young to do this still. I would keep packing to a minimum, remember, its you in charge of it all. I would also plan some sit down meals, not just counter service, because thats alot of juggling food and finding a table, and that kind of thing by yourself. A sit down meal would be helpful for you. I wouldn't park hop either. I would just keep it simple for this first trip without your DH..

MOJoe
01-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Magical Express is a no-brainer. It is so easy, and helps so much. But at the theme parks. Well, that is different.
I can imagine two scenarios that might occur.
First, when you tell your 7 & 8 yr olds that it's OK to walk through this dark area and get on a big ride by themselves, and that you will be waiting on them when they get out; their eyes will grow large with fear, and they will cling to you as if you just told them you may never see them again. Never mind it's their favorite. They won't go without you.

Second, when they get to that favorite ride and you tell them that you will be right here waiting, they run off and your eyes grow large with fear as you count the seconds that pass, contemplating if you will ever see them again.

Seriously, this "crazy idea" may indeed be just that - or not, depending on how well your children follow instruction, how much you trust each other, and how familiar you all are with the parks. The cell phone idea is a must. That way you can stay in touch. But without that, i think i would tell them as we pass that favorite ride, if we all can't go together, it will have to wait till next year.

bucky at disney
01-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Would it be possible for you to stand in line with the olders ones - by telling the CMs exactly what you are doing - and that you are not riding with the little ones? Then when you get up to the ride - you duck out the "chicken" exit?

tyandskyesmom
01-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Our last two trips were like this. Ty had just turned 9 on one of them and was almost 10 on the other. Skye is 4 but is tiny (39 inches) so she was unable to make that next ride height. While Tyler does not like (or won't allow himself to like) most of the big rides, he loves BTMRR and M:S. So we would all get FPs for BTMRR on the first trip, Skye and I would wait over by the rafts to TSI for him and he will only ride the easy side on M:S so we just waited for him in the dump area. The next time around, we woudl do the same thing but Skye and I would do our own thing. Tyler always had his cell phone and which ever of us got done doing what we wanted first woudl call the other and we'd meet. Now, Tyler is a little older than your kids and has been to the workd about 12 times since the age of 2 so I was confident that he could handle it. All worked out perfectly.

So, if your kids are resposnible and know their way around and/or can use a map, I don't think you have a problem at all. If not, or you are just not comfortable, then just go into it telling them that they will not be able to ride anything that the little one won't. There is so much to do and see in the World that I'll bet they still have a great time. And being that there will be only you, maybe they will enjoy a different kind of trip where they get to be more responsible and help mom a little more than usual.

I was a bit worried the first time but i just kept telling myself that there were moms and dads that had no other choice but to take their kids themselves because there was not other parent and they live...so so could I.

You can do it. Go...and have fun with your kids!

blondeinbrandon
01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a little experience with this. I have two sons 8 & 9. The 9 year old loves all the big rides and goes on them with Dad. I have a bad back and stay with the 8 year old. Last month we were able to go over the WDW without Dad. I just told the 9 year old he could ride whatever I could and fast rides could wait for another trip.
If you go to Disney often your kids shouldn't mind. If they are brave enough to go on their own I think that's okay. But I have been trapped on stopped rides at Disney and I know my kids would have freaked out if Dad and I weren't with them.
Go have fun!!!!
:mickey: