PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on going to DL w/ 9 mo

robnadina
01-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi All
I have been to DL many, many times, but never as the parent of a 9 month old. I am a little nervous because visions of cranky babies and irritated parents are filling my head. Not to mention getting bumped in the shins by countless strollers.
Does anyone who has gone with young children have any tips?
We are going down Feb 6-8 and usually stay on site, but this year its too exensive. And I am saving my DVC points for WDW next year. We are staying at the HoJo's. Oh yeah, and we are going Fri-Sun. I know, not ideal but couldn't be avoided. My B-day falls on a Saturday.
Thats the background, any advice to make this easier on DD & myself, would be great.
Thanks so much

BrerGnat
01-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey there. I have gone to Disneyland MANY MANY MANY times with babies. We live about 15 min away and have been taking our boys (2 and 4 y/o) practically every week since they were each only a couple months old.

My first advice to you is to be prepared for crowds. Big ones. The 2fer offer for So. Cal residents has made weekends at DLR this year MAD BUSY. Just so you are prepared. I'm talking like WDW Holiday type crowds, especially at DL park on Saturdays. DCA is less affected by crowds, as a rule, and is a good place to go when DL feels too congested (if you have park hopping priviledges).

Use the baby care facilities! There is one on Main Street. It is located on the right hand side of Main Street, facing the castle, on the last corner. It is sort of hidden away, so you may have to ask someone where it is. You will see a Red Corn Dog Wagon, as well as the First Aid Station. The Baby Care Center is right in there, next to the Photo Center Shop.

In there are highchairs, padded changing tables, rooms to nurse (if you need that), a microwave for heating bottles, a sink, etc. It's very quiet in there, and a great place to get away. I used to feed my boys in there because I loved the highchairs (real wooden ones with tops) and I could actually take my time and not feel grossed out by the ones at the CS restaurants. And, I could wash the utensils in the sink when I was done (they have dish soap and stuff for you to use).

There is a similar baby center in DCA, in the Pacific Wharf area.

Bring a changing pad with you for diaper changes when the baby center isn't nearby. The changing areas in the bathrooms at DLR are NOT padded, and most are metal or a formica-type counter surface...cold and hard. Not ideal for a little baby.

Don't worry about your stroller. Just make sure it's easily identifiable, and mark it with your name. We wrote our last name and cell phone number on an index card, put it inside a ziploc bag, and used duct tape to secure that to a leg of the stroller. This way, it's pretty clear that it's OUR stroller. Don't leave "stuff" in the stroller basket when you go on rides. You don't want it to get stolen (not that it happens often, but I've seen people actually leave camcorders, purses, etc. in abandoned strollers...).

Try to get to DL EARLY on Sunday morning. This is your best opportunity to ride the Fantasyland stuff with minimal waits. For some reason, Sunday mornings are VERY peaceful at DL until about 11am.

Plan your meals to happen at "off" hours. Plan lunch for 11-11:30, or after 2pm. Plan dinner for 5-5:30, no later! This way, you will avoid the LOOOOONG lines at CS restaurants and the ensuing meltdown of a cranky baby who is overtired. Leave the park if your baby gets too fussy. If you don't necessarily want to go back to your hotel, try going over to the Grand Californian lobby (entrance via Downtown Disney) which is usually very quiet and fairly abandoned on a weekend afternoon. It's a nice place to relax, baby can maybe nap or it could be a good place for a quiet feeding, etc. The CS place at the Grand is also an excellent choice to eat when the parks are just TOO crowded. NO ONE goes there during the day and the food is great. :secret: