PDA

View Full Version : Help !! Waitlisting Question ...

ramftbl
01-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Hello All !!
A Quick question... We're looking to get a 2 bedroom at Boardwalk Villas in October. If we call at our 7 month window, and get waitlisted, what would be our next move ? Can we then make reservations at our home resort for the time frame, and hope that we get Boardwalk eventually ? Does waitlisted mean everything is booked and we're hoping for cancellations ?
Thanks to all who respond !!!

lockedoutlogic
01-20-2009, 05:06 PM
You would book at one of the other locations (not Beach or Boardwalk) FIRST.....you want to get something for sure....

then you waitlist.....but it is not a very good probability of coming through...at least judging by the last few years.....which will undoubtedly be worse as they continue to sell new memberships and flood the pool.

Maleficent's Dad
01-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Can we then make reservations at our home resort for the time frame, and hope that we get Boardwalk eventually ? Does waitlisted mean everything is booked and we're hoping for cancellations ?
You could/should book your HOME resort well before the 7 month window (11 months if you already have firm dates).

At the exact 7 month day, go on the waitlist for BWV. Be sure to call as early as MS allows.

You get on the waitlist when a property is "sold out" to DVC points. There may be rooms available in the villas through CRO, but these are not rooms allotted for points.

And while waitlisting can work and often does work, October is a very difficult time to get into the BWV due to the F&W Festival.

Good luck! :mickey:

ramftbl
01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the good info !!

DizneyRox
01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I'll second... err... third... err.. fourth what everyone else said. Home resort at 11 months, waitlist at 7 month. I'm going to guess that you're a SSR member in which case you probably can get your home resort at 7 months and sooner even, but trading out will be harder.

The good news is, your point cost will probably be more for the BW, so you won't lose things. But you might need to decide on banking your excess points before the waitlist comes through, and in that case you might be up a proverbial creek without a paddle.

DVC2004
01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Ditto. Make a ressie at your home, then call at 7 months to get BW or waitlist if needed . BW is tougher at that time of year because of FW Fest but waitlists often come through. Just be aware that it may not come through until almost the last minute. I have waitlisted at that time for BW and it came through just a few weeks before our trip. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
...when a property is "sold out" to DVC points. There may be rooms available in the villas through CRO, but these are not rooms allotted for points...

Does this really happen, that is, can a room in the villas be "sold out" to DVC points but available to anyone paying "retail" through CRO?

Doesn't this mean the Disney company can adjust availability of rooms available for points as cash demand goes up?

Aurora
01-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Does this really happen, that is, can a room in the villas be "sold out" to DVC points but available to anyone paying "retail" through CRO?

Doesn't this mean the Disney company can adjust availability of rooms available for points as cash demand goes up?

The short answer to the first part of your question is "yes." The long answer is that all DVC resorts are required by law to have a certain percentage of rooms held for cash reservations only. Also if rooms remain empty Disney can rent them for cash, but I'm not sure when they determine this.

However, cash demand does not increase the percentage of rooms moved to cash -- only the availability of rooms. In other words, Disney does not move rooms to cash just because people are calling for them. But if enough rooms aren't being taken by DVC members, Disney makes these available for cash rental.

iadarolas
01-21-2009, 07:02 PM

Yes, this happens. We have a reservation in a two bedroom at BCV for May which was booked at the 11 month window. We tried a month ago (5 months ahead) to get a studio at BCV for my parents to join us on our vacation. I was told that some of the dates were availabe, but that 3 days (non consecutive) were only available for cash ressie. It wasn't worth it. We ended up booking them a room at the Beach Club Hotel with the 4/3 deal.

DVC Mike
01-23-2009, 07:32 PM
The long answer is that all DVC resorts are required by law to have a certain percentage of rooms held for cash reservations only.

I've seen a few people say this, yet nowhere have I seen it documented. Please point me to this law, as I doubt it exists.

Disney does maintain ownership of ~2% of the rooms, not so they can rent them out, but so they can perform maintenance and refurbs.

DizneyRox
01-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I'm not so sure it's a law, but it is what they do, for whatever reason. I've heard refubs, I've heard to help offset dues, etc. Whatever is it, I know there are a number of people calling CRO and getting villas.

DVC Mike
01-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I'm not so sure it's a law, but it is what they do, for whatever reason. I've heard refubs, I've heard to help offset dues, etc. Whatever is it, I know there are a number of people calling CRO and getting villas.

Actually, the number one source of cash rooms is actually from the Member inventory. This occurs when members exchange/trade outside of the DVC resorts. This includes using your points to book the Disney Collection (hotels at the Disney theme parks and the Disney Cruise Line), Concierge Collection, and the Adventurer Collection (but not trading via RCI).

Other sources are "breakage" and points owned by the developer due to undeclared units or unsold/ROFR points.

lockedoutlogic
01-24-2009, 03:32 PM
I've seen a few people say this, yet nowhere have I seen it documented. Please point me to this law, as I doubt it exists.

Disney does maintain ownership of ~2% of the rooms, not so they can rent them out, but so they can perform maintenance and refurbs.

That is a florida state statute that Disney observes that has been in place since the 1970s...I believe....

IT does exist. The idea in the state legislature being that if they were going to allow third party entities to build timeshare communities all over the state....that some of the rooms would be reserved for the public....a virtual peace offering to the locals who would bear the brunt of the flood of new tourist in their towns....so they could use them for family, friends, themselves, etc in places where there may not be 400 hotels - as there are in Orlando.

It is still there....i could probably find the code if you were really curious....

but no.....it is not a myth