PDA

View Full Version : My In-Depth Table Service Reviews

AmBo
01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Hey all! On my last trip, me and my GF were on the Basic Dining Plan and boy did we get the most out of it. I'm going to break down my personal reviews on the places we dined at in order from my least to most favorite. I hope you enjoy them! I looove comments :cool:

5. Tutto Italia (Italy) - 8/10
We at here our 2nd day in the world. Even though I only gave it an 8 and it's the least favorite of the trip, don't be fooled! It was delicious and just had some tough competition. Hahaha

We had a 5:30 dining reservation and arrived 10 minutes early to be seated promptly. The host was VERY helpful and friendly.

We both ordered a Moretti beer with our dinner. You are given a nice bread basket with an assortment of breads. They were good but nothing extraordinary. For dinner I ordered spaghetti with veal meatballs which was cooked WONDERFULLY. The veal meatballs were so tender and delicious and my GF ordered the Cannelloni al Forno. She enjoyed hers too (but I think my meatballs were a bit better ).

For dessert we shared the Mocha Tiramisu and the Puff Pastries (suggested by the waiter). The Tiramisu was absolutely delicious. The puff pastries did nothing for either of us.

Pros: Food, Service, Friendly staff
Cons: Small portion (more meatballs!), dessert, loud!

4. Mama Melrose - 8.5/10
On our last day we ate at Mama Melrose at Hollywood Studios. We both greatly enjoyed this meal. I've eaten here several times before and never had a bad experience. It seems to be the opposite for most reviews on the web I see though. I can't imagine why!

We got there for a 5:30 reservation about 5 minutes early and were promptly seated despite there being a lot of people in the waiting area. Very happy about that!

Our servers name was Michael and he was an absolute pleasure. He was so friendly and went out of his way to accommodate us.

Our food took a while to come out but we were there during peak dinner times and we both were fine with that (we weren't very hungry when we got there). I ordered the Wood-grilled Chicken and GF ordered the Penne Alla Vodka. My dish was absolutely perfect. It was a HUGE portion and it was DELICIOUS. I finished the entire bowl! GF enjoyed her dish but it wasn't the best Penne Vodka either of us have ever had. It was mediocre at best.

For dessert I ordered the Tiramisu and GF ordered the Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake. Hers was so much better! The Tiramisu was a disgrace! It had WAY too much cream and not enough lady fingers. After having it the right way at Tutto, this was just upsetting (but the only down side to the dinner).

Pros: Big and delicious entrees, wait staff, atmosphere
Cons: Tiramisu!, waiting for entree

3. Wolfgang Puck Cafe - 9/10
It was a tough battle for the #2. WGPC came in a VERY close 3rd though. We ate here our 4th day. We were a bit early as usual for a ADR but we were seated promptly. I was skeptical about this one because of reviews. Thankfully, I was proven otherwise!

Our server was friendly and very nice. We ordered an appetizer (outside of the dining plan). We got the spinach dip. It was ASTOUNDING. Highly recommended

For entrees we both ordered the Macadamian Nut Crusted Chicken dish. It was VERY good. The chicken was SO tender and moist. It was on top of a bed of garlic mashed potatoes. I kind of wish I ordered the flat iron, but I can't complain about the entree I got

For dessert I ordered the carrot cake and GF ordered a very rich chocolate dish. My carrot cake was TO DIE for! If you go here, GET THE CARROT CAKE!! My gosh, so good. GF's dessert was too rich for our liking though.

Pros: Food, servers, quick service
Cons: Kind of noisy

2. Teppan Edo - 9/10
Let me just start by saying I absolutely LOVE Hibachi and was VERY excited for this one. I've eaten here before but didn't recall the quality of the food. Okay, well here we go.

We got at the restaurant about 20 minutes early and had a 12:15 lunch ADR. At 12:00 the entire staff (waiters, hosts, chefs, etc) all came out and did a welcome ceremony in the lobby. It was very nice and welcoming. After the ceremony, we all started to get seated at our tables.

We were sat with 6 strangers whom were all very nice. We all kept to ourselves though. Me and my GF ordered a Crispy Suklyaki Beef Roll for an appetizer. Omg, this was absolutely amaziing. It's cooked right in front of you on the grill too! It was crispy and so good! My GF even gave compliments to the chef and he was very happy about that.

For dinner I ordered the Filet Mignon and GF ordered the Shrimp and Chicken. The Filet was cooked medium rare and cooked to absolute perfection. It was a lot of meat and was possibly the tastiest filet hibachi I've ever had. I couldn't get enough of it! GF's shrimp she said was good but her chicken was quite dry (that's why I avoid chicken @ hibachi). Overall though, our entrees came with a TON of food and was delicious!

For dessert I got an Apple Fruit Tart and GF got the Green Tea Pudding. Mine was good and she said hers was as well.

This meal was just so much fun and the food was so delicious. It's definitely going to be on my "go back" list next time we go. Loved it!

Pros: Lots of (delicious!) food! Staff is VERY friendly! Atmosphere and cook show
Cons: None!

1. O'Hana - 10/10
This was by far both mine and my GF's favorite meal of the trip. We ate here our first day and this couldn't have been a better first dining experience to kickstart the trip. We are led in by one of the wait staff and told about the tradition of coconut bread to guests. He pulls a fresh, warm loaf and gives it to us at our table.

Promptly after being seated, one of the waiters brings over a plate of 'Ohana Welcome Bread
Mixed greens with a honey-lime dressing. Both were absolutely amazing. The salad was crisp with an amazing dressing.

After we finished the starters, we were given some Pork Dumplings in Sweet n Sour Sauce and Honey-coriander chicken wings. The dumplings were sooo good! The wings were also good but I was too obsessed with the dumplings! hahaha

After that, we are then greeted with waiters holding skewers of Asian Barbecue Pork Loin, Spicy Grilled Peel - n - Eat Shrimp, Marinated Sirloin Steak and Mesquite Grilled Turkey. All of which you can eat as MUCh as you'd like! I loved it ALL! I don't like shrimp but my GF said it was VERY good.

Now if by now your mouth isn't watering, this will do it for you. For dessert you are given a plate of 'Ohana bread pudding a la mode with Bananas Foster Sauce. All I can say is "oh. my. god.". This was absolutely astounding. The best dessert and possibly the best dish we both got all trip. We were STUFFED from all the food already but this was so good that we just pounded it all in! I would go back JUST for this dish.

Pros: FOOD!!! Staff! Shows (cocunut rolls, live entertainment (singing)), THE DESSERT!
Cons: NONE. If you don't go here to eat, you're loco.

mouseketeer mom
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi Eric! Loved the reviews, and the pros and cons at the end. Agreed completely about Ohanas and Wolfgang Pucks, have never tried the two italian places listed, and we didn't have such a great time at Teppan Edo. Terrific info and thanks for reporting!!:mickey:

AmBo
01-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Eric! Loved the reviews, and the pros and cons at the end. Agreed completely about Ohanas and Wolfgang Pucks, have never tried the two italian places listed, and we didn't have such a great time at Teppan Edo. Terrific info and thanks for reporting!!:mickey:

Glad you enjoyed it!

We did Teppan Edo 3 times and I've never had a single bad experience. Maybe give it another shot another time ;) lol

SBETigg
01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
The 'Ohana dessert is so good. You've done it-- my mouth is watering. I've never read a bad review for Wolfgang Puck Cafe. It sounds great. The others all sound really good, too. You had some fantastic meals-- thanks for sharing.

the other micki
01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Great reviews! You made me so hungry! Can't wait to eat at Ohana on our April trip!!! We enjoyed Mama Melrose's on our last trip - very good :cloud9:

Aggie97
01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Thank you for your reviews! My mouth is watering after reading your 'Ohana write-up. Isn't 'Ohana a fantastic first-night-at-WDW dinner? :mickey:

Pocahontas
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the reveiws.

I also love 'Ohanas! It's my family's favorite place to eat at Disney. We love it so much we made two separate ADR's to eat there on our trip in February.

goofy for pluto
01-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the reveiws.

I also love 'Ohanas! It's my family's favorite place to eat at Disney.

Ours Too!!! :mickey:

AmBo
01-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Thank you for your reviews! My mouth is watering after reading your 'Ohana write-up. Isn't 'Ohana a fantastic first-night-at-WDW dinner? :mickey:

YES! And to top it off we had a seat at the window overlooking the castle. It was perfect! It's our first ADR for our trip in October as well. Can't wait!!

Glad I could make your mouth water ;)

Great reviews! You made me so hungry! Can't wait to eat at Ohana on our April trip!!! We enjoyed Mama Melrose's on our last trip - very good :cloud9:

We always love our Mama Melrose's :number1:

The 'Ohana dessert is so good. You've done it-- my mouth is watering. I've never read a bad review for Wolfgang Puck Cafe. It sounds great. The others all sound really good, too. You had some fantastic meals-- thanks for sharing.

Really? All I read about WGPC before going was that it was very snobbish and the food was mediocre at best. Which we found out ourselves it was far from just that. :cloud9:

MOJoe
01-21-2009, 11:40 AM
We love O'Hana's too. And i'm thinking about trying Teppan Edo this year, so thanks for the post. :mickey:

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
01-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the reviews! I have eaten all of these places expect Wolfgang's (have done the CS version which is fantastic). I would have to say you are pretty spot on with my reviews of the other 4 places.

Granny Jill A
01-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Great Reviews and so helpful.

We ate at Wolfgang Puck Cafe and agree that it was awfully noisy. Food was very good though.

I agree with you on your #1 choice - Ohana!
I needed to rent another stomach because mine filled up way too fast. :D

Kairi_7378
01-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for sharing your detailed dining reviews :)

Ropachs
01-21-2009, 06:48 PM
We finally made it to Ohana last year and loved it! I guess we were a little loco for a while :blush:

jszczur5
01-21-2009, 07:27 PM
We did 'Ohana for the first time last year. It was amazing. That's all my husband talks about - going back this year - at least twice.

Dawneeeey
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Oh we had a tough time deciding between Ohana and Kona Cafe, we chose Kona - next time though, I think we'll try Ohana based on your wonderful, glowing review. :)

tinksmom02
01-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for your reviews! Ohana's is one of our must-do's each trip (DD6 calls it "the steak on a stick place"). We enjoyed Tutto Italia on our last trip. I wouldn't mind going back someday.

Do you mind me asking--we do hibachi a LOT around here (actually going Saturday night!)...some of our local places put on a really good show. Is Teppan Edo different from any places you've been to? (Anyone else, feel free to answer, as well!)