PDA

View Full Version : Kids missing 2 weeks of school-- project ideas

Minnie's Northern Friend
01-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Our kids are missing 2 full weeks of school---

anyone have any project ideas??

Also, when would be the best time for them to do the work??

g8rgirl29
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
I sent a PM with a site that has some journal and homework pages that are Disney specific.

SBETigg
01-19-2009, 01:50 PM
My kids kept journals detailing what they saw and did, emphasizing what they learned. It's still fun to look back on the journals. You could also collect something inexpensive that might be different in each World Showcase country, or have them write reports on things they found were different and were the same around the world. Mary Ellen's link will probably be more specific and helpful.

luvmyboys4ever
01-19-2009, 01:51 PM
My kids had to keep journals and make entries every day. They had to make observations about the weather and the number of people on certain rides...etc.
They did their make-up work at the end of the week on the way home, so it would be fresh in their minds when they went back to school :thumbsup:

Minnie's Northern Friend
01-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I forgot to post ages-- grades---

Oldest is in 8th grade--

The twins are in 5th grade--

Thanks for the link-- I will take more time to look it over when I can...

stitchaholic
01-19-2009, 02:52 PM
we just made our own autograph books out of those hilroy books that are lined at the bottom only,but leave the rest of the page for a picture,so the character can sign where the picture should be,but my kids will have to write about where they met the character and some other observations on the lined part,(we can also add the picture to that page after they are devellopped.
we had a great time making these books,we covered them with brightly covered poster board and used foam stick on letters to write their names and the title of our trip and decorated them with stickers from the dollar store

alilprincessmom99
01-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Could you also send me a PM with that link, our daughter will be missing a week of school in May, and I want to have some projects for her as well. Thanks in advance!

Luv Eeyore
01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
We had ours do a journal from a character's point of view. DS (7) did his as if he was Captain Jack Sparrow.

PirateLover
01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Have you talked to the teachers? I teach 6th-8th grade Social Studies. As much as I love Disney, the only class I would accept Disney specific homework for would be 6th because they do World Geography, and you can learn a lot at World Showcase. But I had kids in 7th and 8th grade go earlier in the year, and I sent them with the work they would be missing-reading chapters, completing worksheets. I am totally all for family bonding and don't mind kids being taken out from school, but remember they have about 7 hours of instruction each day that they will be missing. 2 weeks is a lot and you need to make sure they don't fall too far behind.
(I hope I don't sound chastising or preachy, I just don't think that you can substitute missing 2 weeks of school with a "project," no matter how fun or stimulating, unless of course it is teacher approved).

mickeys_princess_mom
01-21-2009, 10:48 PM
We had ours do a journal from a character's point of view. DS (7) did his as if he was Captain Jack Sparrow.

This Reading teacher loves this idea!!:pirate:

tinkerbelle75
01-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Have you talked to the teachers? I teach 6th-8th grade Social Studies. As much as I love Disney, the only class I would accept Disney specific homework for would be 6th because they do World Geography, and you can learn a lot at World Showcase. But I had kids in 7th and 8th grade go earlier in the year, and I sent them with the work they would be missing-reading chapters, completing worksheets. I am totally all for family bonding and don't mind kids being taken out from school, but remember they have about 7 hours of instruction each day that they will be missing. 2 weeks is a lot and you need to make sure they don't fall too far behind.
(I hope I don't sound chastising or preachy, I just don't think that you can substitute missing 2 weeks of school with a "project," no matter how fun or stimulating, unless of course it is teacher approved).

You must be a great teacher! I recently read that kids only get about 2 real hours of instruction in school by the time all the admin stuff , lunch, and discipline problems are taken care of. My degree is in Elementary Education, and I can't imagine any of my days being so chock full of instruction....

Anyway,I think two weeks of Disney would present a lot of learning opportunities! You have everything from Science to History to Geography and more. Have fun and try to remember that it IS a vacation, so while they do need some projects, don't make it all about work! Have fun!:mickey:

beksy
01-22-2009, 06:21 PM
My parents took me out a few times over the years to do family vacations--a couple to Disney and once to New England, especially Maine, in the fall. Of course, I was a straight-A student who didn't need to study much so they weren't too worried. Then my sister came along who is the exact opposite of me when it came to scool and those trips stopped :( (Mom and Dad wouldn't agree to just leave her at home :secret:). When we did go, I was in elementary school through middle school with a short trip in 9th grade. Mom would talk to my teachers and they would give me the assignments for the week or a substitute assignment for classwork I was missing. I did this on the two day drive to WDW to get it out of the way and finished up any special projects on the drive home. The teachers didn't mind since it didn't affect my grades and I was already doing well. I don't think it would work as well in high school or with kids like my sister who weren't motivated and couldn't get back into the swing of things.