PDA

View Full Version : Help - Planning 1st trip

vannaval
01-19-2009, 12:26 PM
We are planning a family trip sometime this year. I need advice about traveling with an infant. My son is 5 months old right now. He will be some where between 6 - 9 months old when we go.

I was reading some other threads.

What is "baby swap"?

I will also have my 4 year old daughter. Any advice on her age would be great too! Thanks!

dolphinmickey9170
01-19-2009, 12:38 PM
First of all, :welcome: to Intercot!!

"Baby Swap" is something you can do so you and the 4 yo can go on a ride while one parent waits with the baby. You must approach the CM as you enter and let them know you need a baby swap pass. You will be given a pass that the other parent and the 4yo can then go on the ride together while the first parent waits with the baby. It works very well so everyone has an opportunity to ride the rides.

As for some other info, we have take our DGD at 7 months, and several times since, she is now 2. I would bring the baby's stroller instead of renting one as they would be more comfortable in their own cushy stroller. The rented ones are just hard plastic. For food/beverage, we packed dry formula in the bottle and then brought bottled water that we had not refrigerated. We also brought baby food jars and dispoable infant spoons from walmart, this way if you lost one, it's no big deal. We bought the small 4 oz plastic juice bottles and brought just nipples to screw on, then you disposed of the bottle, only leaving the nipple to carry. I packed things in gallon size ziploc bags making going through the security checks easier. A spare outfit or two in one bag, baby food and spoons in another, diapers in another, toys in another. You see where I am going with this? Security was thankful each time we entered. We never left the parks for nap time. We just layed her seat back and she would sleep right there. No need to leave the park. We brought motrin and benadryl as well, you just never know.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

Have a fun trip.

faline
01-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

You might want to check out the section in Info Central about traveling with children (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/default.asp).

With young children, you'll probably spend a fair amount of time in the Magic Kingdom. Are you staying on-site? It's greatly convenient to do so and allows you to get back to your resort mid-day for naps and rest. Even more convienient is a resort on the monorail line.

Take advantage of the baby care centers. One is located in each park.

Your daughter will probably be very interested i the princesses. If finances allow, you might want to look into a session at Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique for her. If not, you might want to have a princess outfit for her to wear - perhaps to a character meal. Most girls her age enjoy Cinderella's Royal Table or the princess meal at Epcot. If you're planning to go next month, it might be rather difficult to get a reservation at one of those venues.

princessesmom
01-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Depending on how easily scared your 4 year old is, be very careful about what rides you go on with her. On a trip many years ago when my oldest DD was 4 (she is now 13) she was afraid of things I never dreamed she would be afraid of. She was in tears at the end of Peter Pan's Flight. Of course, not all 4 year olds are like this. If she does get scared easily do a lot of research on the rides and shows and avoid anything that might be a problem for her. There are many things that will be fine for any 4 year old, though.

And I personally think 4/5 is a perfect age to go. My youngest is 4 and we will be in WDW next month. We will be having breakfast with the princesses in Norway and at CRT. She is so looking forward to it. My older two daughters (13 and 11) are pretty excited about it, also. I would recommend getting a planning book and checking out all the rides/shows and restaurants.

WDW is a great place to go no matter what age your children. Have fun!