PDA

View Full Version : Beach Lessons

BananaAnna838
01-18-2009, 05:34 PM
For one of my classes this semester (Science in Elementary Education), we need to hand in an entire unit at the end of the semester. This will include about 5-7 lesson plans, and everything that includes. It's going to be a lot of work!! But I am kind of excited about it.

I am going to do my unit on the beach. The problem is that I can't make up my mind about which grade to aim my unit towards (1-5). I was wondering if anyone was taught about "The Beach" in their classes when they were younger? I never was, which is why I'm having trouble deciding where to put it.

I have a lot of great ideas that can be adapted to any grade, but also if you have ideas for anything having to do with a Beach unit, I'd love to hear them! :thumbsup:

goofiecrazy
01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
i have done a jello activity before with the theme of beach. Get some blue jello and buy some gummie fish and worms and place them in jello and let it set and put some whip cream on the top as the foam from the waves. my kids loved that.

tinksmom02
01-18-2009, 10:52 PM
I think there's a lot you could do with "the beach." You could do lessons on animals that make the beach/ocean their home, how their needs are different from other animals, the dangers they face (the sea turtles that lay their eggs on land and then the babies must make their way back to land come to mind.)

You could also do something about beach erosion, the effects of pollution, etc.

Differences between beaches at the ocean and beaches near lakes?

Plant life, or lack thereof.

How sea glass is created?

The effects of weather on the ocean, and ocean on the weather--hurricanes, tsunamis, etc.

I think you could easily get 5-7 lessons out of the beach. Does it have to be a unit--all related--or separate lessons? Do you have to teach the lessons, or just create them?

The Magic School bus series might have a book about the beach. I know they have an ocean one and a water cycle one.

These are just a few ideas that immediately popped into my head. I taught K and pre-K, but did my college experiences in first grades and kindergarten, but I think you could do more if you gear it towards older kids.

Anyway, hope these help.

luvmyboys4ever
01-19-2009, 02:23 AM
My oldest is in 4th grade and they just started with science as a major subject this year. He loves it and I believe they did something about the beach at the begining of the year. My youngest is in 3rd and they have lessons on rocks :ack:

BananaAnna838
01-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas so far! I'm starting to think that maybe older grades might be better (3-4). That way, they still will enjoy and be "in awe" of the fun things but also be able to actually understand it better.

I am not sure if I am teaching the lessons... We haven't really gone into too much yet but because I have so many end of the semester projects, I wanted to start on this one. We may be teaching our class one or two.

Also, has anyone or anyone's child used "Science Notebooks" in their class? This is apparently getting to be a really big thing in classes, and I was wondering if I should include that into my unit. Thanks for all your help! :)