PDA

View Full Version : How to label luggage??

Minnie's Northern Friend
01-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Can someone advise how to label the luggage??

Should name and address of where we are going be on it?? WHat happens if the airline loses the luggage??

Luv Eeyore
01-18-2009, 12:05 PM
I would label the luggage with your home address. If the luggage gets lost and you have to file a claim with the airline, they will take your local contact information and be able to forward it accordingly.

VWL Mom
01-18-2009, 12:21 PM
IMO it is a good idea to use a business card or put your work address and a cell phone number. This way they can get hold of you by phone and none of the bad guys see from your tag that you are not going to be home.

Bringonthemouse!
01-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I put mninimal contact info on the outside of the bag itself, just a name and phone number. I also indicate on the luggage tag that more definitive info. can be found immidiately inside the bags. On a large sheet of paper I print out our names, address and all contact info. for both home as well as our vacation destination and the dates of our travel. I lay this sheet flat in a see throughpocket I have on the inside of the luggage. I just don't feel comfortable having all kinds of personal infomation on display for all to see as they are handling our bags.

Polynesian Dweller
01-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Your information should be on both the outside luggage tag and on a sheet on the inside. It should be your home contact information, not your destination.

Reasons:

1. You put it on the outside so that it can be quickly identified and they don't have to break into your luggage to find out who owns it. Why would you want them to go through your luggage if they don't have to.

2. You put it on the inside in case the luggage tag is broken off your luggage. Basically its an emergency backup identification.

3. You put your home info because it can be several days to get it back and so they can send it there. As well, when you report it missing at the destination airport you will be asked to give them contact information should they find it in a couple of days anyway. The info on the luggage is more about identifying it and your home address is your best and least personal identifier as the owner of the luggage. Destination address does not prove that, and, name alone most certainly does not. Just think of how many people have the same name as you and are travelling. Without the additional info of address how do they know which John Smith the bag belongs to. And if your bag gets lost and goes Iceland, how do they know in Reykjavik who it belongs to. That's why they need name and address identifier.

4. You do not need to put your phone number on the tag or inside. This is the one piece of info not needed to identify the bag. Don't put more than needed is always the rule.

TheRustyScupper
01-19-2009, 08:54 AM
1) I do national and international travel.
2) For luggage labels,
. . . one on outside
. . . one on inside
3) The inside label (actually a sheet of paper) has
. . . name
. . . cell phone number
. . . address for date xx/xx/xx thru xx/xx/xx
. . . home address for other dates

NOTE: The dates for address on the inside lists the hotel during the vacation. After those dates, they should direct the luggage home.