PDA

View Full Version : Help for lost voice?

SandmanGStefani24
01-18-2009, 10:53 AM
I have been ill for a few days, and last night my voice went away. :( You never notice how much you use it until you can't. I have heard about the lemon and honey cure, but does anyone have any other sure-fire ways to get it back? Thanks guys, I know I can always count on you.

Tink2002
01-18-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm a speech-language pathology student, so I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL yet, but I do have a little insight into the situation.

Most likely if you have been sick for a few days, the loss of your voice is due to inflammation in the larynx, and most specifically, inflamed vocal chords. Honey and lemon may make your throat feel better if it is sore, but I don't think it would really do much to bring swelling down - unfortunately you are probably just going to have to wait it out and things should start getting better within a few days. If you feel like it is getting worse or doesn't improve, though, please go see your doctor!

Something that is important to take note of, though, is to not try and strain your voice right now. If you can't speak well, don't try to force it - this will only put more strain on the vocal chords. Whispering is actually more straining than normal speech, too, so it's best to just try to be quiet until it returns to normal and grab a notepad and paper!

Hope this helps!

VWL Mom
01-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Warm pineapple juice usually relieves the swelling of swollen glands. Used it as a kid and now my kids use it. Feel better.

disneyfan328
01-18-2009, 02:13 PM
a spoonful of honey usually helps ease a sore throat and bad voice. It always works for me. If you don't want to do the spoonful, try some in some warm tea. does the trick every time.

mickeys_princess_mom
01-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Whispering is actually more straining than normal speech, too, so it's best to just try to be quiet until it returns to normal and grab a notepad and paper!!
Have been there, and this is so true!. I know it's frustrating, but truly do rest your voice! The part that made my crazy was when people started talking slower to me like I was not comprehending well because I couldn't speak! It's also very hard to argue with a rude basketball coach over the use of a gym (when you had it reserved days ago) when you can't speak. That notepad just doesn't cut it!:thedolls:

handmaidenofprincesses
01-18-2009, 05:00 PM
If you really need to use your voice, downing a tablespoon of straight olive oil will do the trick. I lost my voice the day of a talent show one year, and a friend suggested this. It worked splendidly, but I'm warning you right now, I wanted to peel my tastebuds off of my tongue :sick: I've also had some success sucking on orange wedges, but the olive oil is definitely the power hitter- I'd only use it as a last resort though, it was pretty nasty! Feel better!

mickeys_princess_mom
01-19-2009, 10:35 AM
If you really need to use your voice, downing a tablespoon of straight olive oil will do the trick. I lost my voice the day of a talent show one year, and a friend suggested this. It worked splendidly, but I'm warning you right now, I wanted to peel my tastebuds off of my tongue :sick: I've also had some success sucking on orange wedges, but the olive oil is definitely the power hitter- I'd only use it as a last resort though, it was pretty nasty! Feel better!
OK, I read this with interest, but I doubt seriously I could do that...Sure--the orange wedges, but not the olive oil! How long did either give you relief?

handmaidenofprincesses
01-19-2009, 08:48 PM
OK, I read this with interest, but I doubt seriously I could do that...Sure--the orange wedges, but not the olive oil! How long did either give you relief?

Olive oil: all night, I sang "My Heart Will Go On" without my voice cracking once, which was amazing considering how nervous I was! However, I still don't think I would have done it if I hadn't been up in front of a hundred people and expected to sing

Oranges: It's debatable; it sometimes helps me for an hour or two, sometimes only a few minutes... it depends on the severity of the laryngitis and the cause as well, I think.

SandmanGStefani24
01-20-2009, 01:10 AM
thanks so much everyone! my voice is almost all the way back, save the upper registers. monotone is the way to go for now.
thanks especially to tink2002 for the info! you guys are the best!:thumbsup:

PirateLover
01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
When I was in musical theater, everyone swore by this certain tea that I found to be utterly disgusting-but it worked! I forget what it was called.. I just googled, I think it might be "Throat Coat."

TikiGoddess
01-26-2009, 08:24 PM
When I was in musical theater, everyone swore by this certain tea that I found to be utterly disgusting-but it worked! I forget what it was called.. I just googled, I think it might be "Throat Coat."

My voice teacher in college recommended it to me also.... I never used it as my friends said it tasted awful, but hey, if you're desperate...

Kathy