PDA

View Full Version : Travelling With 2 1/2 Year Old And 6 Month Old

andypooh
01-18-2009, 12:13 AM
DW and I are currently in the process of purchasing 250 points at BLT (contract in hand). We are very excited. Will be staying for 5 nights at SSR with our 2 1/2 year old and 6 month old sons. Will also be going with my best friend, his girlfriend and 7 year old daughter. We know all about fast passes and baby swap. Wondering if I could get some other good advice from everyone who has travelled to WDW with multiple little people in the past. Thank a lot.

:mickey:

teambricker04
01-18-2009, 12:34 AM
My biggest thing is:

TAKE YOUR TIME!

Sometimes, in some places, like the security line at the airport, people feel the need to rush rush rush. Take your time, let people go around you if need be. Get to where to need to be with plenty of time, but relax and take your time because you'll be on vacation!

We have two sons also (4 and 19mo) and we have really slowed down. We don't always get to see everything, but we find if we pack a ton in one day, the next may be a bust.

Have fun!!!:mickey:

jonahbear2006
01-18-2009, 12:54 AM
1.With them being that little I would take a good stroller you love; we took a double kolcraft contours. It was amazing for disney world, worth the money! Then not go back to the hotel for naps.With kids that little, by the time you get back to the resort, they napped on the way. Just bring something to shade them while they sleep. You are better off napping them while you eat desserts, shop, and take turns on roller coasters or thrill rides and then head back to the hotel when they wake up, for a swim and dinner. Now if you are monorail, on MK day a nap at the hotel may work though. This way you can see everything; we did and we had those ages on the 1st trip.

2. Prepare to have a bottle/breast/pacifier on dark rides. We found that everytime we rode a dark ride, my 7mth old wanted to nurse. It helped him out with the loud sounds and such.
3. When you get there find a vending machine with the name tags, for your 2 yr old. Just a brief glance one way and our kids have walked off several times.$10 is worth finding your child in wdw.
4. Bring a soft sided front carrier for the baby, for Epcot. The world showcase def. needs a stroller but if you want to check out all the structures, I would bring a carrier for the baby, some of them aren't stroller friendly and is much easier if you keep baby close so there aren't so many ins and outs.
5. Dont forget hats for the kids and sunglasses, lots of cheap sunglasses. We must have lost 3 pairs but you need them. The fl sun is harsh and hurts after a few days. Some places sell baby ones that have velcro on the back.
6. I bought a bag that slung over my shoulder at von maur cause I remembered what a pain a diaper bag was, on my first trip. They get stuck under the stroller. JJ cole sells these for $35 and has a convienent place to put your magic your way cards, a bottle, diapers and a outfit, a pacifier, your cell phone and wears across your shoulder, around your back to your waist. It is the BEST thing I ever bought for wdw!!!! It even hangs just right over the arm of the stroller without weighing it down. Best part about it is, since it is on you, there is no scrambling to grab for it when you are exiting a ride.
7. Dont forget to relax. Children are very resilient to change. The adults we took on our first trip were harder to deal with than our 7mth old. You will be suprised how easy it is. Enjoy!!!

wdw_bound
01-18-2009, 09:48 AM
As above posters have said, take your time. Don't expect to see/do everything. Also, make it clear to your friend and his family that they should make their own park plans (7 year-olds are in a different place than little ones - I have a 10 yo and a 4 yo, and DH and I split up at times in the parks - makes for a much better trip). You can meet up for meals, even some attractions, but to be together all the time is probably not a good idea.

Make use of the babycare centers at each park. They are wonderful for changing, feeding, just getting out of the hub-bub. If you forget any supplies, you can also buy them there.

I loved my Baby Bjorn carrier when DS was tiny. It enabled me to take him on Dumbo, Peter Pan, etc. and feel secure that a) I could board the ride safely and b) once aboard, my little wriggle worm wasn't going anywhere.

I'd also recommend taking advantage of early EMHs at the parks, especially MK. Fantasyland can get very crowded by midday, even during slow times for the park in general. Getting to MK as they open for am EMH allows us to ride most of the things we love in Fantasyland before it gets too crazy.

Most of all, remember, you'll be coming back, so take time to see/do the offbeat things - playing on the beach, the playground, just enjoying a Mickey bar while waiting for EWP. All of these are precious memories for our family.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
01-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Our first trip to WDW with our kids they were 2 1/2 years old and 9 months old. We were traveling with another family that had a 7 year old and an 11 month old. We had a fantastic time. We did take our own strollers from home and they worked wonderfully for the babies. We took our time and never tried to push our kids beyond their limits. We all had a wonderful time and it was the first of many trips with our babies. That first trip with our kids opened up a whole new WDW for DH and I, who had been twice before. Just go with the flow and follow your kids cues and you should have a fantastic trip.

MonoMan
01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
I highly recommend bringing your own stroller and a rain cover for it - hopefully the weather will be great and you won't need it, but it's a great thing to have on hand if you do need it.

I could not agree more with everyone about taking your time. You want the trip to be enjoyable. We always plan at least one "down day" where we stay at the resort, use the pool, ect. It will allow the little ones to catch on up rest :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
We always plan at least one "down day" where we stay at the resort, use the pool, ect. It will allow the little ones to catch on up rest :mickey:

I forgot to mention this, but we do the same thing. We always, even now that our kids are much older, take at least one day off from the parks to just relax at our resort, swim, go to DTD, DH goes golf, whatever. Its so great to have a day to sleep in and just kick back and relax. It is a must for us on every trip.