PDA

View Full Version : How to entertain kids in lines?

spoiledraf
01-17-2009, 06:42 PM
With my first trip with little ones (Kids and Grandkids) in nearly 30 years, (5, 3, & 2) I'm wondering what we might bring to try and entertain the kids, as well as adults, while we wait in what I expect to be some pretty long lines the second week of June. Unfortunately, I'm getting flak about hitting the parks early or late because they don't want to change sleep schedules. I told them it's a better idea to enjoy the parks by hitting them early but I just can't convince them of whats to come. A problem I've had with my kids since they were born! ;)

g8rgirl29
01-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Some of the things we brought along were snacks(raisins, goldfish etc), mini magna doodles, small bottles of bubbles, stickers, and hope!! We also brought along the glow bracelets (10 for a $1) and let our DD make necklaces out of them or pass them out to new friends (helps occupy while you are waiting for parade or illuminations). We often just let our DD strike up conversations with other children or adults in line. We would make up crazy games like trying to spot things, sing a song. I was surprised that our DD actually was happy to people watch a lot in lines.

buzznwoodysmom
01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Other than snacks and maybe something we bought them in the park that day I've never really brought things to keep them occupied in lines. My kids have always been really good at talking about what they liked, couldn't wait to see or do. It seems as long as we are talking with them and keeping them intersted in what's going on they were happy. We've played games like I spy, or if its dark and we can use our hands to make shadows we do that with them. They always loved looking at park maps when they were younger, and still do sometimes. We've been going since one was 2 years old and the other was only 9 months, and we've been just about every year since and the things mentioned above have always worked for us.

jonahbear2006
01-17-2009, 09:09 PM
We always play The alphabet game for disney characters; A is for aladdin, B is for Baloo, C is for Cinderella and the kids work on their letters with it, so its like a bonus. We also take our hidden mickey book and look up that attraction and look for the hidden mickeys; there are clues in the book as for where to look. Another thing you can do is to make up disney trivia cards or buy a disney trivia game and punch holes in them and put them on a ring. Take them with and ask disney trivia like; which disney princess has a fairy godmother, things like that. Also, we play high and low, each person takes turns telling their high and low for the day, during the last meal, or whatever you want to insert. We haven't brought anything but this but we did pack things with intention of using them. The games always were enough for my kids.

jensantuit
01-17-2009, 09:26 PM
When we go we bring stickers and small hand held fans, snacks and we usually play I spy. I have purchased small items at the Disney Store on sale such as a camera and a cell phone to keep them occupied as well. They are definitely cheaper at the Disney Store than in the parks.

junedis
01-18-2009, 09:37 AM
We will bring our portable dvd player this June. Of course this is for those really long waits such as Testtrack, Soarin' etc...

MicMouse
01-19-2009, 10:37 AM
We did the silly dance game. Each kid picked an imaginary button in line (like a screw head in a hand rail,etc) and they would pick who had to dance. It was hilarious, and many people around us joined in and did their own silly dance too.

We were there in mid June and the lines weren't bad at all. We never waited more than 20 minutes for anything and rarely used a fastpass. Just get there as early as you can, as the heat and humidity will be your biggest problems.

Have a great time!