PDA

View Full Version : No Checked Baggage! Will this work?

Nurse Kim
01-17-2009, 01:18 PM
We are planning our trip March 3-13 and don't want to pay baggage feeds. Is it feasible that we could all take a carry on and avoid these feeds? I have seen people take the small suitcases on wheels on the plane as their carryon. The only thing that worries me is there are 5 of us and I am not sure we can get everything in small bags like that.

Even if we could only check 2 bags that is less than checking 5. We are booking our airline tickets separate as one way tickets. We found Airtran for $70 pp one way and that is a really good deal but DH doesn't want to pay baggage fees and about the only one that doesn't charge it is Southwest and they don't participate in DME.

Any suggestions?:confused:

dfamasb
01-17-2009, 01:59 PM
I would go with Southwest and not have to worry about it! The only thing you will have to do differently is take your luggage with you to the airport on the way home and check it yourself. Much less hassle IMO than trying to fit everything in carry-ons!

g8rgirl29
01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
I believe that all airlines participate in DME. However you wouldn't be able to use resort airline check-in with Southwest.

SBETigg
01-17-2009, 03:29 PM
I can't imagine making it through a ten day vacation with carry-ons alone. They're pretty strict about the size of carry-ons now, so whatever you do, I would check with the airline in advance for the size limit to make sure you won't end up with checked baggage anyway.

Iluvpooh
01-17-2009, 03:46 PM
I did this recently for a trip.(not WDW) Remember that each person is allowed a carry on AND a backpack! Women are allowed a carry on, back pack and decent sized purse.

deedeebee
01-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Yes you can do it:thumbsup: Our family of five did this in Sept. with Airtran, zero problems! Remember you can also have a personal item, a purse, laptop,ect. Two of our five are small girls, that did help, but you can do it! Have a great time and don't worry about the bags.:mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I did this recently for a trip.(not WDW) Remember that each person is allowed a carry on AND a backpack! Women are allowed a carry on, back pack and decent sized purse.

Last I flew Women could have 2 items.and your purse counted as one of those items. I don't know of any airline that allow women to have 3 carry-on items. Now I've put my purse INTO a carry-on and then had a backpack also.

PirateLover
01-17-2009, 05:29 PM
It CAN be done, if you pack wisely but make sure that you analyze the TSA lists and are able to bring everything you need onto the plane. You don't want TSA taking something away that you're going to need.

luvmyboys4ever
01-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Our family of 6 did it this last trip and we could have had 2 bags free for each of us...we booked before the lovely fees started. We like to travel with just carry-ons. It means doing a load or 2 of laundry, but we're fine with that. We each had a carry-on and a tote. Now, the trip back is a different matter. We shipped our goodies back right fom our resort and checked most of our bags, because it was free and I was sick and didn't want to deal with them :(
Here's another thought. You could ship your extra stuff. It would probably be cheaper and you can insure it for the actual value of the items. If the airline looses your bag, they only give you so much money for it...like $200 or so, depending on the airline. I don't know about everyone else, but that doesn't even cover my kids' pants...lol!

TinkerbellT421
01-17-2009, 06:08 PM
:confused:
We found Airtran for $70 pp one way and that is a really good deal but DH doesn't want to pay baggage fees and about the only one that doesn't charge it is Southwest and they don't participate in DME.

Southwest does in fact participate in DME. Trust me I just got back from there. Southwest is by far the best airline IMHO. And yes They do participate in DME. Not sure where you heard that from. But if you can I would personally book SW.

ThanxForNoticin
01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Last I flew Women could have 2 items.and your purse counted as one of those items. I don't know of any airline that allow women to have 3 carry-on items. Now I've put my purse INTO a carry-on and then had a backpack also.

You are correct. The airlines will tell you one carry-on and one personal item (like a purse or laptop) - not three items.

I also think you are going to see more airlines enforcing the carry-on restrictions, too - more and more people are going to try and carry on more to save on fees. You also have to remember the restrictions of what you can carry on the plane.

Personally, I'm extremely annoyed by the extra fees for bags, but I would find it far more of a problem to squeeze everything into carry-on luggage than it would be to spend another $50 or so for a checked bag or two. For a 10-day trip to Disney, you'll be spending thousands of dollars. Is it really worth it to inconvenience yourself so much and save only a few dollars? Just my opinion.

Iluvpooh
01-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Sorry-If I confused anyone or gave the wrong info, but I assure you in June I flew from Alabama to Montana-in and out of 4 airports and carried a backpack, carry-on and a Baggallinni(small across the body purse). So all in all I boarded 8 different planes and never had a problem or even a second look.
That is the main reason I decided to not check any bags-too many airports!

This was not too long after the bag restrictions-
I believe you are correct about the "official" rules being only 1 carry on and one personal item.

Hope I did not confuse anyone-Just stating my personal experience.

pamickeys
01-19-2009, 11:12 AM
You can make it work--we have done it in the past. The biggest problem we had was fitting the "no more than 3 ounce containers in the 3 quart bag" rule. We solved that--we bought whatever was not essential (brand wise) at our hotel gift shop.
We also know of people who shipped a box of needed items to their hotel--it was waiting for them when they got there.

Nurse Kim
01-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. We are shipping a box of needed items ahead of time so that will take care of getting caught with something they take and throw away. We are planning to pack enough for 7 days and I will just do a couple loads of laundry if I have to. We do plan to take SW if at all possible. I thought I read here on the boards they didn't participate in DME but maybe they were talking about the resort check-in they don't participate in. We plan to take some type of carry on with things we might need at the resort before our luggage arrives anyway.

We will take SW if at all possible. Thanks again all.

InLikeSin
01-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I am also planning on only bringing carry on bags, the only thing I haven't figured out yet is shaving razors. Does anyone know if the are available somewhere? (We are staying at Pop)

playdead88
01-20-2009, 06:46 AM
we have done it for a 7 day trip but we also were staying at a one bedroom villa with a washer and dryer - on delta at that time each person could have a carry on and a bag to keep with you - so each of us had a backpack and each of us had a carry on - the problem is when you come home - you usually have more stuff to pack if you buy anything - we only did it one year - since then we have always checked 1 large bag and this year since the kids are older we are gonna make the DRIVE from VA - omg i hope we don't have to leave a kid on the side of 95 :)

playdead88
01-20-2009, 06:49 AM
I am also planning on only bringing carry on bags, the only thing I haven't figured out yet is shaving razors. Does anyone know if the are available somewhere? (We are staying at Pop)

im not sure about pop but boardwalk, beachclub and wilderness lodge had razors - goodings and gardengrocer also do - we usually include razors, shampoo/cond, sunblock and lotion in our grocery order :mickey:

brian2000boston
01-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Just thought i would mention, i was poking around on airtran's website and it appears that the bag fees are not that expensive, which is probaly why the airfare is so cheap. see the following.

1st checked bag: weight: 50 lbs. or less; dimensions: 61 inches or smaller

Fee based on reservation booking date:
Booked on November 12, 2008, or later - $15
Booked on November 11, 2008, or earlier - Free

KylesMom
01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
American & United's first checked bag fee is also $15. However, add that onto the currently riduculous flights out of O'Hare for our preferred flight times & the extra $90 is intolerable.

I've finally convinced my DH that even though we can't participate in the resort airline check-in program, Southwest would be a much more sensible airline for us. It appears for the three of us we'll save about $600 r/t once you throw the checked bag fees in. DH's concerns are that we won't be able to sit together, and we'll have a problem getting checked in 24 hours in advance while at the resort. From all of the feedback here, it sounds like it's not that difficult.

We also send down a box ahead of time, but for a 15-day vacation, there's no way we could get along with just a carry-on bag each!

InLikeSin
01-20-2009, 12:49 PM
We placed an order with Garden Grocer but I couldn't find razors on their website... I've already placed the order do you think its possible to add that one item on now?

awaggett
01-20-2009, 02:06 PM

You are allowed to carry-on shaving razors--fyi.

Also, as to the question about how many bags--women are allowed one carry on and a personal item (purse, etc), same as men. The earlier poster was quite lucky that they did not make her put her purse in one of her bags--I have seen folks stopped by TSA for this in the past.

Disney Doll
01-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Good info so far. SW does participate in DME. We always fly SW and have used DME many times. It's just the resort baggage check on your return flight that you can't use with SW. All you have to do is bring your luggage with you on the DME bus to the airport and then check your bags with SW once you arrive. IMHO SW is the best option.

I have also seen the 1 carry on, 1 personal item rule strictly enforced so you better not count on being allowed a purse in addition. Some may not call you on it, but some will.

irish1967
01-21-2009, 09:37 PM
I would say that it is doable, but be very, very careful about size. More and more people are doing the same as you and as a result, the airlines are becoming much more strict about the size limit.

When I flew down to Orlando for the marathon weekend, the gate agent announced several times that they would gate check any bags that did not fit the size requirements and to expect that if that were to occure that they bags would definitely be on a later flight.

And I saw at least 3 or 4 bags put aside for gate check.