PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West

honeebee86
01-17-2009, 01:09 PM
My bf and I are renting points to stay in a studio at OKW this May. I have never stayed in this resort. Actually, I have never stayed in a deluxe resort, only values. We were a tad disappointed that we couldn't get boardwalk (which is her home reosrt) because we were looking forward to walking to epcot whenever we wanted. However, after looking at pictures it seems like a beautiful resort. What has been your experience with OKW? We are going to focus this trip on more relaxing things, like eating, exploring the other hotels, and spending a little more time at our hotel than normal. Any tips and reviews are very much appreciated!:cloud9:

Madame Leona
01-17-2009, 01:46 PM
We love OKW. I haven't stayed in a studio so I can't comment on the room. However, we love Olivia's. The food is very good there and the service was excellent. If you are looking for a yummy coctail, all I can say is Turtle Krawl!! I love it. The pool is very nice and was never overly crowded. You can take the boat to DTD or to Saratoga Springs. The busses are the only tricky part. They have an internal bus system and right now I can't remember how it works so check with the bus drivers. We asked at the front desk and bell services but the clearest directions were from the bus drivers. You are really going to like it there.

g8rgirl29
01-17-2009, 02:25 PM
We love OKW!! It is a very laid back place!! The studio is spacious with 2 queen sized beds. You will have a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker along with assorted paper and plastic products. Buses, first stop is Pennisular Rd, last stop is Hospitality House. Try Olivia's for a meal, very good food and relaxed atmosphere!! The main pool is great. We have always stayed near the hosp house and haven't checked out any of the quiet pools. They have laundry facilities by the pools and are free of charge. When we stayed in the studio we went to the pool about half way through had cocktails and did some laundry. Enjoy, it is my favorite place to stay!!

honeebee86
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
OKW sound wonderful. I am really excited now. We will have our own vehicle, so buses should not be an issue anyway. It looks like a nice secluded place to get away from all the hussle and bussle of the parks!!! Thank you all for your responses!

pianobabe
01-17-2009, 03:27 PM
We stayed in a 1 bedroom at OKW last year. While we did have some room and managerial issues, the resort over all was nice. We would stay there again, but we want to try out different resorts too. It does have a very relaxing atmosphere to it. One of the things I didn't like was a lack of sidewalks, but that could have just been the area we were in. Have fun!

Maleficent's Dad
01-17-2009, 07:56 PM
OKW is definitely a lot different than the BW! It is quiet, laid back, and really an escape from the chaos of the parks.

There is an area close to the main pool that is along the water. This is the main Hospitality House that is home to the Community Hall, Gurgling Suitcase (a very small bar), Good's to Go (a small take out window), picnic tables, Olivia's, Papa's Den, and the main gift shop. You'll also find the children's playground & pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, the locker room/shower area, and Hank's Rentals all here. In other words - this is the "happening area!"

OKW prides itself in being laid back - and it is. It's restful, relaxing, and very enjoyable. All rooms have a balcony or patio - and most have nice views of golf or water.

One of the things I didn't like was a lack of sidewalks
At OKW?? :confused:
I've been to OKW numerous times - and to the best of my knowledge, there are sidewalks everywhere throughout the resort! What building/location were you in? Perhaps I've never been to that area. :shrug:

pianobabe
01-17-2009, 09:08 PM
I think it was in building 15. When we were walking to the bus stop (Miller's Road) we had to walk on the grass. There were sidewalks on the other side of the road (I think), but it didn't make sense for us to walk across the street for the sidewalk just to cross it back to the stop. Perhaps there were plenty of sidewalks, but just not in places where they would work best for us.