PDA

View Full Version : Q re: how you fit all your travel size stuff in 1 ziploc bag???

Dsnygirl
01-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Okay, I am an obsessive/compulsive planner & packer, and am thinking out my packing for my trip next week. I've never flown to Disney on my own before, and have been able to stow some of my "extras" in my DH's carry-on ziploc bag, as he barely has any to bring.

Now, I'm travelling on my own, and just can't seem to find a way to get everything into that "wonderful" little ziploc bag you have to use!! (and trust me, I've pared my stuff down to what I consider to be my bare essentials... :blush:)

So -- for you seasoned travelers out there -- is there anything that doesn't need to go into that bag -- i.e. small liquid makeup or hand gel -- and if not, HOW do you get everything to fit???

(On our trip down in December, we checked bags, so I didn't have to worry about it, and COMPLETELY missed a number of items in my purse that probably should have been confiscated. A pretty good size hand lotion, a smaller hand lotion, 2 things of Purell, suntan lotion... That being said, I don't want to assume they'd be missed again and end up pulled aside, emptying out and handing my stuff over... :blush:)

:thanks: for any and all tips... I'd love to avoid checking my suitcase...

DizneyRox
01-16-2009, 12:00 PM
I can't imagine needing more than that ziploc bag.

Toothpaste, hand gel, blistex...

Everything else goes in your checked bag, maybe some saline solution for contacts in the ziploc bag. You probably don't need it until you get your luggage. If you need more than travel size containers, there's really no other option than to check your bag. Or you ship items to yourself.

What else do you need to pack?

thumperbug
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I only put in the ziploc the liquids/gel items I could NOT live without if my bags got lost or I could not purchase at the hotel if needed.

As well as those "must have with me" I only put in the liquids/gel I need for my first day in the parks...such as travel sunscreen, hand sanitizer...

To even cut back on some items, there are now packets with sunscreen towels that fit in the ziploc and don't take much room as well as little hand sanitizer spray pens which are smaller then the gels.

Good luck

dfamasb
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
You might check one of the bed/bath stores for a special kit that has a 1 quart bag and a collection of bottles and jars that all fit neatly inside. Of course, that means transferring products to the bottles and jars. I would just put stuff in my checked luggage except things you will need immediately upon arrival or on the plane.

Edited to add: If you absolutely do not want to check a bag then there are a few things that don't have to be in the bag such as chapstick and solid deoderant. Check with your airline's website for specifics. If it's liquidy or gel-like it has to go in the bag and it can't be more than 3 oz. To me it's not worth the hassle!!

mouseketeer mom
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't even bother with the ziplock bag thing. I can't pull it off. I check it all, except for necessary makeup I toss in my purse. I've never had a problem.

Dopey's Girl
01-16-2009, 12:23 PM
I bring the stuff I couldn't live without for any amount of time. Lotion, toothpaste, chapstick, eye drops for my allergies. Anything else I can get at the resort. Most hotels give you shampoo, and soap, and all resorts have a little section of stuff to get you through. Sure it's a bit more expensive, but it's better than paying $15 each way to check a bag!

I'm leaving next week and my bag has a 1.5 oz lotion, chapstick, toothpaste, eyedrops and my mascara. Anything else I will just get when I check in!

Belster
01-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I mail my items to the hotel 10 days before we depart. This works like a charm.

Dsnygirl
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the tips... just finished going throug my stuff...

I can't imagine needing more than that ziploc bag.

Toothpaste, hand gel, blistex...

What else do you need to pack?
You really want the list?? :blush: Suffice to say, I don't travel lite in the "necessities" department, makes me feel like I'm camping, and if I'm at Disney, I like to feel like I'm home. I know, my issue... may just have to check that bag... ;)

I bring the stuff I couldn't live without for any amount of time. Lotion, toothpaste, chapstick, eye drops for my allergies. Anything else I can get at the resort. Most hotels give you shampoo, and soap, and all resorts have a little section of stuff to get you through. Sure it's a bit more expensive, but it's better than paying $15 each way to check a bag!

I'm leaving next week and my bag has a 1.5 oz lotion, chapstick, toothpaste, eyedrops and my mascara. Anything else I will just get when I check in!
Luckily, I don't have to pay to check a bag (Jet Blue), just don't want the hassle of checking it and then waiting for it.

I don't ever find what I need at the resorts... I admit, I'm fussy about what I use, so that's an issue I accept going in. Trying hard, really hard this trip to pare back, though! ;)

I mail my items to the hotel 10 days before we depart. This works like a charm.
Thought of that, but don't really want to pay $10 to do so, and then have to re-mail the stuff home, as what I'd be sending would be pricey to replace if I just left it there. I've done it, though, to send costumes down for Halloween or gifts I'm bringing with me... you're right, works great!! :thumbsup:

Okay, guess I'm just going to either have to live without, check my bag or give stuff to a friend who's travelling w/ me and checking her stuff... (she's staying longer) hadn't thought of that 'til this moment. Phew!! :D

g8rgirl29
01-16-2009, 01:34 PM
If you utilize ME you won't have to hassle with picking up your luggage, they will handle them for you.