PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside

KAT1811
01-15-2009, 12:41 PM
We spent a fabulous two weeks in Disney back in November and are looking to go again this November so I figured I would start my research early this time to keep the Disney magic alive. :pixie:

DH is on a new mission to stay somewhere different each time since there are so many resorts we have yet to try in WDW. We may be using a friend of DH's DVC points to get a two bedroom villa at WL (our first choice if avaliable) but in case that does not pan out I figured I would like to get a back up plan in motion. :write:

We are thinking about Port Orleans Riverside this year. We are traveling with my parents and our four children (we are expecting our fourth child in 9 short weeks :cloud9:)!!! We will be requesting connecting rooms (which we have been very lucky to have granted each trip so far). Any input into what to expect at this resort would be great as we have never been. We love Coronado Springs and have stayed there a few times and love it but DH wants to try something new. :rolleyes:

I am also thinking about Pop Century. We do not spend much time in our rooms at all so deluxe seems like a huge waste of money as we just sleep there. :spend: We have stayed at the Beach Club and was not convinced that it was worth the $$$ as we were never there. We have traveled with our children since they were all very little and never take breaks as they are quite content napping in the stroller and jumping right back into the action. :coaster: Our youngest actually took a three hour stroller nap on our last trip! We are a very active family and constantly on the go :bolt: traveling and the like so they adapt very well. Thank you :thanks: all for your anticipated input!

KAT1811
01-15-2009, 12:42 PM
P.S. - Our oldest DD (12) will be rooming with my parents so we will only get two rooms total for the trip. Hopefully both connecting like usual and the children hop from room to room.

disney1026
01-15-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd try for POR before Pop Century. I was very pleased with POR the two times I stayed there.

EeyoresBestFriend
01-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Though I've never stayed there ~ we stay at FQ. I've also stayed at POP and although we enjoyed the resort and LOVED the food court (it rocks), I just like the greenery and the kicked back new orleans feel. It was a nice way to decompress after the busy parks!
And you can't beat Beignets!(they are only a short walk away) and love the boats to DTD, too.:cloud9:

Good Luck with the decision! And congrat's on your new addition!

fielin
01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
You cannot go wrong, there.

I loved both POP and POR, although my favorite was Port Orleans French Quarter (not riverside).

In fact, I decided that the next time I go to WDW, it will be at POP again, not because I did not enjoy POR, but because I now thik that all Disney resort are created equal, and I cannot justify spending so much money while everything is a short bus ride away.

Back to POR, the landscape is lush and beautiful and the quiet pools are beautiful. The overall feeling is laid back and you will enjoy just walking around.

If you feel like doing something different, Downtown Disney is accessible by boat (15/20 minutes), and POFQ is a short walk away (10/15 minutes).

So you get to experience three different atmospheres while staying at a beautiful resort ! :D

pamickeys
01-15-2009, 06:52 PM
if you're not going to enjoy the amenities of the resort forget everything and stay at a value, save the money and spend it elsewhere. the deluxes offer enough that we have not even seen the parks some days. the moderates are in nowhere land , not good enough, but still too much money for what you get.

Kairi_7378
01-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with either resort. I'm not sure how long you are planning to stay on this trip but for a longer trip I would consider staying in a moderate resort so that I could have a little more space and the fridge. The PO resorts also have some nice amenities but if you're in the parks all day your family may not think these are important, and in that case, I'd stay in the Value and save the $$$ for a nice dinner with the family.

I think that the PO resorts are in a great location, kind of centrally located in WDW. Because they are sister resorts, guests from both resorts can use the facilities in both. The paths are pleasantly landscaped. The boat to and from DTD is fun.

Have you considered French Quarter? The resort is very small and compact.

#1donaldfan
01-16-2009, 11:50 AM
POR for us is more of a home away from home....we love the quiet, relaxed feel we get every time we arrive.....I'm not sure that it's in the middle of "nowhere", it only takes a few minutes to reach each park. Yes, it may not be on the monorail line, but like I mentioned, mere minutes to each destination. If your not into a park one day, hop the boat to DtD for shopping and eating, or take a short walk or boat to the FQ side and eat their food court...the beginets are the best.....

...POR has so much to offer, that it's definatley a deluxe with a moderate price......:thumbsup:

dumbo_buddy
01-16-2009, 02:41 PM
i've stayed at POR, POP, and POFQ.

you can't go wrong with any of them! (in my opinion of course).

POR is so sprawling and beautiful. POP is really fun and super kitschy. it depends on what you want to spend. POP is cheaper but i don't find that it's any less accomoding. only thing is if you want a fridge in your room you'd have to rent it for 10 bucks-ish a day.

all the food courts are great. i love the POR one and POP has awesome cheesecake.

so, yadda yadda yadda, you'll have a great time no matter what you choose!:mickey:

kathiep
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM
My kids loved the main pool at POR. We had a hard time convincing them to leave.