PDA

View Full Version : G.F or Poly? input please

kwhitt3202
01-15-2009, 09:32 AM
We are going end of November begining of Dec. We have the 40% off deal. We have stayed at the Pop, Poly and the G.F. Heres my delema. There is only about $300 seperating all fof our choises and I dont know which one.1) Poly- garden room - deluxe dinning 2) Poly - garden club - basic dinning 3) G.F garden - deluxe dinning 4) G.F - sugar loaf - basic dinning.
There will be me , my husband, and our 4yr old son.
What are ya'lls thoughts

SBETigg
01-15-2009, 10:13 AM
It's a tough choice, my two favorite resorts and both are great for families with young children. Unless you plan to do a lot of signature dining, I would skip the deluxe dining because you are having to take a lot of time out of the day to eat, not to mention all the food slowing you down. So it comes down to what you feel more like, the relaxed elegance of the GF or the laid-back tropical paradise of the Poly.

My kids love both, but the Polynesian is their favorite. My husband and I love the GF. If you're on the fence, you might consider that your son will probably only love the Poly more as he gets older and the GF slightly less, so it might be a good time to fit in those GF trips now and go back to the Poly later.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
01-15-2009, 11:01 AM
We are fans of the GF. We tried a split stay with the Poly on one of our trips. Although I love the theme, pools and main building, I didn't like the rooms at the Poly (dark, cheap).

We've done both the regular and deluxe dining plans. We are not at all fans of Disney's food and would not do deluxe dining again.

TammiMcMan
01-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I think it may come down to option 2 or 4. Sugar Loaf club level is okay, but none of the rooms have a castle view (only marina and garden). The lounge is the ground floor of the building, which has been modified with tables & chairs. There's no view whatsoever. The Poly's lounge on the other hand, is spacious and offers an incredible view of Wishes.

If it were me, I'd compare the Poly garden club level ~ basic dining, with either GF Theme Park view ~ basic dining or GF Lodge Tower room ~ basic dining.

ncrohrs
01-15-2009, 10:47 PM
We have done both with our 3 kids. GF was a garden view with basic dining. Awesome time. The hotel is wonderful, staff is superb, felt like royalty!

The Poly was fantastic. We had a garden view but got UPGRADED for free to an incredible view of the castle! Needless to say, this was like a dream...

Such a toss up. I think our kids preferred the Poly's theme. Their ages were 3, 4, and 6 at the time. I also love the theme, very tropical, feel like you are on your own island, kind of a vacation within a vacation.

Ok, so far I have not helped. So here it is, my vote: Poly!

Good luck and have fun!

KatMark
01-15-2009, 10:56 PM
We have only stayed at the Poly (no desire to stay at the GF) so we would pick one of the two Poly options. It is our second favorite Disney resort.

gueli
01-16-2009, 03:35 AM
:mickey:Having visited both, and liked both, but I have never done the club level.
I vote Polly.

I would not expect you to get your "moneys" worth out of the Delux dinning plan, but admittidly I have not done it.

Either way you should not have a bad stay. Enjoy your trip & let us know.
:mickey:

jonahbear2006
01-16-2009, 04:31 AM
If you get club level, I would stay poly. They have the best concierge level and the best food options there. They also, imho, have the best arcade but that only matters if your husband is into games like mine is. heh heh. The poly has the better pool, I feel but I agree with above, I actually think we decided against poly because we don't like the look of the rooms. They are kind of creepy to me. I much prefer the rooms in GF. I think if money were no object I would choose GF. Personally, I feel like, for our family, we only need one or the other, dining or concierge. The concierge was enough to keep us going most of the day and with it we would've done fine with 1 counter service. On that note, isn't the express food place at poly 24hr? I don't think GF's is. So there is another one for poly for me. I don't know, tough call.

goofy78
01-16-2009, 06:29 AM
my vote is for the polynesian. i admit i have never stayed at the grand floridian, however, i have visited it a few times. for my money, when it comes to a monorail resort, i would choose polynesian.

mickeefan
01-16-2009, 08:31 AM
We have stayed club level at the Poly and most recently at the GF. We were upgraded to Sugarloaf for our 50th anniversary.
We really enjoyed the GF, but all agreed that we preferred the Poly and are headed back there next trip.
The GF lounge was on the first floor, as we were, but had no view whatsoever. We are big coffee drinkers and in the evenings they would
put the coffee out in pitchers which did not keep it hot.
At the Poly they have the coffee machines and we preferred them plus we could go in there much later. We felt the food selections were better at the Poly and of course the view of the castle from the Poly lounge is fantastic.
You can not beat the transportation options of the Poly. The monorail, short walk to the TTC or as a change of pace take the big ferry boat to the MK.

kwhitt3202
01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks. we have decided to go with the Poly now we are one minute garden deluxe and the other garden club basic. The odd thing is the garden deluxe is cheeper. I figured if we do restaurants for dinner, counter for lunch, and some character breakfast we will come out way ahead. I just dont want another of the same mugs they have had for the last two years.

SBETigg
01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
On that note, isn't the express food place at poly 24hr? I don't think GF's is. So there is another one for poly for me. I don't know, tough call.

The Grand Floridian's Gasparilla Grill is also open 24 hours.

mouseketeer mom
01-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Whichever resort you choose, (and you can see from my signature my family prefers the Poly)..I would not do the deluxe dining plan. Our family of five did deluxe dining on our last trip and we found ourselves groaning from the amount of food and time we spent in restaurants. It was waaaay too much. And we like to eat. I vote for basic dining whichever resort you choose. My family insists we never do deluxe dining again.