PDA

View Full Version : tips

calypso50
01-14-2009, 07:43 AM
i have been reading that it is suggested that we tip a total of 84 dollars per person for your servers and room hostess. We haven't all that extra money for our family. it would total over 400 dollars in tips! i understand that they rely on tips but for us it has truly been a sacrifice to even go on this trip( illness in the family, economy) . Would a lesser amount be taken as inconsiderate? Or anyone have other ideas for tipping that's more economical?

vicster
01-14-2009, 08:45 AM
We went on a cruise (Carnival) a couple years ago. It was just my husband and I but we paid $100.00 in advance for the tips and the cruise line took care of it. If you wanted to tip more at the end of the cruise you could certainly do that. $400.00 seems like a lot.

DisneyFr33k
01-14-2009, 11:17 AM
i have been reading that it is suggested that we tip a total of 84 dollars per person for your servers and room hostess. We haven't all that extra money for our family. it would total over 400 dollars in tips! i understand that they rely on tips but for us it has truly been a sacrifice to even go on this trip( illness in the family, economy) . Would a lesser amount be taken as inconsiderate? Or anyone have other ideas for tipping that's more economical?

When we went last year, they gave us a card with recommendations for tips on it. However, we adjusted it as we saw fit (our servers were stellar, but the person cleaning our room wasn't). So go with what you have and what you think they deserve.

calypso50
01-14-2009, 04:52 PM
thank you for replying! i feel much better about seeing how it goes then i can do what i see fit.

TammiMcMan
01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, just a few questions to make sure you are calculating it correctly....

1. How many people in your stateroom?
2. How long is the cruise?

If I use the example of 3 people on a 7 night cruise, that breaks down to $28 (total) per person to a waiter/waitress who is serving 3 meals a day * 7 days. That's 21 meals, which comes out to be about $1.25 per person tip, per meal. For a stateroom host or hostess, they take care of your room 2 times a day (making it up and turning it down). Honestly, I think the tipping guideline is well thought out.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
01-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Is there some place where I can find out (in advance of my trip) who all I will need to be tipping? I agree $400 seems like quite a bit.

Of course, I knew I would be tipping the dining staff. I understand tipping those who are taking care of my room. I am sure we should leave something for the kids club staff. Who else would we need to tip?

My family of 4 will be going on the 3 night cruise, how much do you think we will need to set aside for tips? I would just like to be somewhat prepared.

vicster
01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
We also tipped our bar waiter (the one on the Lido deck always bringing us drinks) and the Maitre d'.

TammiMcMan
01-16-2009, 12:51 PM
When you order drinks through the on deck waitstaff or at the bar, the 18% gratuity is already added in, so be careful not to overtip.

TexasTinkerBell, there is a suggested gratuity guide on the DCL website. I don't have the direct link in front of me, but I can search for it later and send it to you. Off the top of my head, it's somewhere in the FAQ section. The factors are based on length of cruise and how many people are in your stateroom. For 2 people on a 3 night cruise, the total would obviously be much less. The OP didn't give their cruise details, so that may be a longer cruise and more guests.

TammiMcMan
01-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Okay, here's the link to the suggested tipping ~ http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/help/overview?name=OnboardServicesFAQLandingPage#9 .

To calculate the tip, just find the column for the length of your cruise and multiply the amount shown by the number of people in your stateroom.

example:
Stateroom host - 3 night cruise - $12 per person
Guests = 2 adults + 1 child
$12 X 3 = $36 total tip

I can totally understand for those that haven't been on a cruise yet, that the amounts may appear high. Trust me though, once you get on the ship and realize just what their jobs entail, you'll see that it is actually an appropriate factor. The wait staff works every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus the late night buffets. You'll have the same assigned stateroom host/hostess for the entire cruise. They come to your room at least twice a day for cleaning and turn down service, plus stop by to deliver messages, refill ice buckets, whatever you need.

calypso50
01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
i have to say i know they work on tips,that they are paid with that in mind( i work in a tip related field my self) but when people tip me and don't give the customary 15 to 20% we understand! these are tough economic times. and to go on a cruise like this is a great sacrifice to many! one year ago the economics of a lot of people were in a differnt catagory.i will tip as best as i can according to how it goes. i think things need to be adjusted according to your financial needs as well. the airfares alone to get to pc are crazy and add the fuel surcharge now as well!!!

TammiMcMan
01-16-2009, 04:41 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if DCL decides to adopt similar tipping policies of other cruise lines, which is to include the tips right into the cost of the cruise. Seems this would make it easier to figure out "real" salary numbers for their employees and guests who want to tip in addition, can still continue to do that.

I had to purchase airfare recently and it's a lot less expensive now than it was just 6 months ago. In regards to the fuel surcharge, I thought DCL had changed that policy when the gas prices dropped?

Edited to add the new fuel charge policy (effective December 2008):

As of December 1, 2008, Disney Cruise Line has stopped charging fuel surcharges for all new bookings. As any prudent business would do, we will continue to monitor fuel costs and may need to implement changes again in the future.

calypso50
01-16-2009, 10:15 PM
that seems like a good suggestion, but i booked my dcl cruise 10 months ago and the fuel charge was added to my cost. also the airfare i was told to book as soon as i could and it was over $2 grand ! this is a expensive vac!!!!!! not much left in the kitty!

Texas Tinkerbell Too
01-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Okay, here's the link to the suggested tipping ~ http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/help/overview?name=OnboardServicesFAQLandingPage#9 .

To calculate the tip, just find the column for the length of your cruise and multiply the amount shown by the number of people in your stateroom.

example:
Stateroom host - 3 night cruise - $12 per person
Guests = 2 adults + 1 child
$12 X 3 = $36 total tip

I can totally understand for those that haven't been on a cruise yet, that the amounts may appear high. Trust me though, once you get on the ship and realize just what their jobs entail, you'll see that it is actually an appropriate factor. The wait staff works every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus the late night buffets. You'll have the same assigned stateroom host/hostess for the entire cruise. They come to your room at least twice a day for cleaning and turn down service, plus stop by to deliver messages, refill ice buckets, whatever you need.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I notice they figure tip on 15%.

TammiMcMan
01-18-2009, 11:45 AM
that seems like a good suggestion, but i booked my dcl cruise 10 months ago and the fuel charge was added to my cost. also the airfare i was told to book as soon as i could and it was over $2 grand ! this is a expensive vac!!!!!! not much left in the kitty!Have you spoken to DCL about the surcharge? There was something on their website about credits being issued on a case by case basis. Might be worth a phone call.

happy2bme
01-23-2009, 01:46 PM
How many people in your party? I have three and on a 7 night cruise it comes to $252.00 for all of us:rocks: