PDA

View Full Version : POP, POR or CBR

khunter
01-13-2009, 02:44 PM
We are planning on going to Disney sometime this year. We are taking our kids for their very first time. They will be 6 and 3 at the time we are going. We are looking at staying at either Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Beach Resort. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Disneyfirsttimer
01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I would definitely choose either POR or CBR over Pop just because they are both moderates. We have stayed at CBR twice (our only 2 trips to date) and never stayed at POR so my feedback may be one-sided :blush:.

We love CBR! The first trip we paid for a premium location and were in Martinique. It along with Trinadad North are closest to the main pool and Old Port Royale (food court). It was a nice location, but we were on the second floor (no elevators, but nice view). With a little one in a stroller late at night, a main level room would have been better.

Our second trip we did not pay for preferred and were in Jamaica. We absolutely loved it! It is directly across from OPR. To get to OPR, there is a lovely path and wooden bridge. My DH loved walking with my son every morning to food court to get our coffee, breakfast, etc.

What is also nice is each village has its own quiet pool which is very nice if you want more quiet. We have not been back since the main pool was redone, but I am sure it is much nicer. We liked it when we were there though.

We honeymooned in Jamaica and the feel of the resort made it feel like the Caribbean. Plus from the back deck of the food court, you can see fireworks from Epcot since the resort is closest to that park. That was nice.

Also, CBR does not share its bus with any other resorts so we found the service to be very good. POR shares with POFQ, but again I can't speak for that resort.

We truly loved CBR!

dumbo_buddy
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
i've actually never been to CBR but it looks lovely!

really, any of those choices i think you'll be happy with. DH and i stayed at POP last year and it was really fun. the HUGE big wheel, fussball players, etc are hilarious and kids seemed to absolutely love looking at it all.

POR is wonderful. we stayed there the time before last and my parents are staying there next week. our upcoming trip is PoFQ- DH like french quarter better just b/c he loves new orleans. i like it b/c it's SO much smaller than POR. still, i absoluately think POR is so beautiful.

but as PP stated, POR and PoFQ do share bus stops which sometimes can be annoying but really it's no biggie (according to me!).

good luck! you'll be happy with whatever you choose. :mickey:

KarenP
01-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi, welcome to Intercot!

All 3 resorts are very nice. I would suggest taking a look at pictures to see which theme/decor appeals most to you and your family.

Good luck!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-13-2009, 05:58 PM
POR and CBR are the last two that we stayed at. If someone put a gun to my head and said choose now, it would probably be POR (AB section). I think the boatride down the river to DTD is a big plus, and you can walk to sister resort POFQ (and the beignets). CBR is nice too. We stayed in Jamaica (non premium) and it's a nice leisurely walk across the island to the food court area.

I can't vouch for Pop, but you really can't go wrong with either POR or CBR.

disney1026
01-13-2009, 06:10 PM
I would stay at POR or CBR over Pop. I believe the moderates are much nicer than the value resorts, so if you can afford it - go for it.

I have stayed at POR the last two times I have been there. I love the themeing and find there is a decent amount to do on the resort grounds. I haven't been to CBR in quite some time, but I remember really liking the atmosphere (the calypso music being played) and the food court. I was younger then, so it is difficult to compare it to POR that I visited as an adult :D

fatboy
01-13-2009, 08:49 PM
CBR is great...

StLouisPaPa
01-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi everyone. I have just booked a week at CBR with my 10 year old grandson. It will be my first visit to WDW with a child that young. I am certain that I made a good choice. Question - just how important is it to request an specific island? I did not pay for premium and it seems that most positive comments are a about Jamaica. Be sides the shorter walk, are there other considerations (bus service, etc)? Thanks everyone.

DDuck66
01-14-2009, 09:39 AM
It really depends...On short trips (2-3 days) we stay at the Pop Century. If we have a longer stay, we love the CBR. The other main question is how much time will you spend at the resort. is it just for sleeping (go Value), or if you plan on spending a part of every day at the resort then go Moderate.

#1donaldfan
01-14-2009, 11:50 AM
POR !!!! Best for the price, as it's a moderate...the food court is great, and Boatwrights has the best breakfast of any Disney eatery.......:mickey: