PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about crowds

kcrc
01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
We have booked a vacation from June 25 - July 2. As the kids have gotten older, we no longer feel comfortable pulling them out of school.

I've tried to keep telling myself that we'll be able to manage the summer crowds, but I'm really starting to get nervous.

I know lots of people will be there. But are all of the lines for rides completely outrageous? Is it really hard to move around in the parks?

Any reassurance will be appreciated!!!!

Tygger7
01-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Well, I guess the best advice I can give about going at this time of year is to be prepared to stand in line. The last time we went (week before the 4th of July & over the 4th) was back in 2001, and it was so crowded that we swore we'd never go at that time of year again. My DH hates crowds, and between the heat, long lines, and wall to wall people, it was miserable. Fast passes were gone by 12noon, and Epcot & MK closed due to capacity on several days. Without FP's, lines were 60-120 mins for most every attraction. We even tried taking a break & going to BB one day, and it was 110 degrees in the SHADE. We were there 8 hours and only got to ride 2 slides due to the lines. So, I hate to be negative, but be prepared to deal with very heavy crowds. Again, it's been almost 8 years since we were there in June/July and it's possible that with the economy the crowds will be lighter. Make sure you have ADR's if you want to eat TS anywhere, and prioritize your "must do" attractions. Go early, use extra magic hours, and most of all, be patient & drink lots of fluids. Knowing what to expect & being prepared can go a long way to making peak times more enjoyable. Good luck!!

KylesMom
01-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Once DS reached "Kindergarten" status, we were no longer comfortable taking a 2-week May vacation. We've been going in June or July every year since. As an FYI, DS is going into 6th grade next year . . . so we've been going during this timeframe for several years now . . .

I've tried to keep telling myself that we'll be able to manage the summer crowds, but I'm really starting to get nervous.
Don't be nervous - just have a plan.

First, you know that it will be hot. But honestly, we've found that the heat in June is really not much different than in May. No sweat! (Pun intended :D ). You'll run into the highest crowds right before you leave (Wednesday the 2nd) due to the upcoming 4th Holiday. Just plan accordingly!

A few things that work for us are as follows:

* Utilize FastPass. I can't stress this enough! You don't need to wait in two-hour lines unless FPs are gone (Soarin' & TSM come to mind here).

* Get to the parks early. It's amazing how many quality attractions you can experience before noon! I know it isn't for everyone, but we especially love morning EMHs at the MK and AK.

* Schedule some down time. Swimming at the resort pool, boating, a trip to DTD . . .

* If you are a TS dining family, ensure that your ADRs are made 90 days in advance.

* Yes, the parks will be crowded. But honestly, it's not like Christmas where you're going to see the parks close to outside guests due to capacity issues (especially since you won't actually be there on July 4th). If one park is too crowded, we vacate that particular park and head to another one.

Go with it and enjoy yourselves! :D

pandkx3
01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I think you'll have a great time! As with you, I have older school aged children. We always go in June and have a wonderful time. Just take things in stride. It will be hot (we're ok with heat living in south Mississippi). The lines will be long, but not like the holidays. We always ride the attractions that we want. Just go with the knowledge of these things and be prepared to take breaks and drink lots of water. You'll have a great time.:mickey:

Disneyatic
01-13-2009, 04:20 PM
What is the humidity and rain like around that time? Our last trip was in September and the humidity was ridiculous! So we are leary of going during the summer months.....is June/July HOT or hot and humid?

pixiesmimi
01-13-2009, 04:29 PM
We have been in June twice. We didn't find it any hotter or more crowded than any other part of the summer except late Aug. We are prepared with sunscreen, hats, fans, water and walk through the airconditioned stores and areas as much as possible. There are shaded sidewalks and misting areas also and you can always take a break inside a TS or CS restaurant to cool off. All of our family including small children have managed the heat and lines fine except my youngest DGS got a little hot standing in line for a character and got sick. We won't ever do that again because you can meet most of them in Toon Town inside or in a character meal. I didn't think the crowds were all that bad or different from any other time of the year. Yes, it will get worse towards the 4th. Just be prepared, go early and have plans made for the hottest part of the days.

MarkC
01-13-2009, 04:35 PM
You don't mention how old your kids are but I'm guessing teenagers if they're at the age where it's tough to take them out of school. The prior posters had some good advice, although I would stress to you DO NOT PANIC!!! We were just there at Christmas for the 1st time and were prepared for horrible crowds (Dec. 28-31). It wasn't that bad. Like KylesMom said-- get there early and use fastpasses. Have a plan on what you want to see. Hit the major rides right away. Make sure to utilize extra magic hours in the morning, and if you can't get up that early or are staying off property go to a park that isn't using them.

I was amazed how much we were able to do by noon each day over Christmas break. We would hit almost every major ride well before noon and then go swim, nap or mini-golf while everyone else was standing in line. I hate to get up early but if you really want to ride the major rides, it is really, really worth it. When we would leave one park around noon we would see long lines of people coming in. Those are the ones that won't get anything done that day. Don't be that group. Nap in the afternoon if you need to catch up on sleep. Besides, during that time of year the earlier you go to the parks, the cooler it will be. If you want, send me a private email with your email address and I'll provide more detail on how we managed to do so much in so little time-- and it doesn't include running, cheating in line or anything anyone else can't do to see a lot in a short amount of time. You'll have a great time. Mark

shan-ash
01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
having only been to the world in July and early August, I have to agree with KylesMom's advice. plan plan and plan on what you want to accomplish at each park and go early with mid day breaks! We always enjoyed the attractions with minunium wait.Of course, we always want to stay longer and do more, but have enjoyed both visits!

SandmanGStefani24
01-13-2009, 09:56 PM
someone mentioned earlier that panic wasn't necessary, only a plan. spot on.
the thing is, the crowds are one issue that can be managed to a point. the heat is one problem you have to plan for and cannot manage. it is going to be hot, hot, hot. no way around it. carry a water bottle, powerade bottle, or soda bottle with you to keep hydrated. fill it at every fountain or restroom sink and it will help. also, dress accordingly. pace yourself, and ride rides that give you a chance to sit in the shade or a/c.

now for the crowds. they are going to be there, in masses, and it's going to be tough to move around at times. the wait times will all be in the one hour neighborhood. eateries will be jammed, and the time around the fireworks will be a madhouse. but, the World can be managed anyway. fastpass is not as fast as it used to be by a longshot. so, you can basically use it to your advantage. get a fastpass, and get in line at an attraction whose wait time is not too long, but long enough to pass some time (preferrably with a shaded queue). then, by the time you get done with that one attraction, you can almost jump right onto the next. also, eat at irregular times. noon for lunch, no good. snack and eat a late lunch/early dinner around 3 or 4. you can beat the crowds no problem. ive done it before, and i hate waiting but still had a blast. just change up your normal routine, and go with the flow. it will take you somewhere good.

dnickels
01-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Just as an FYI, I think someone earlier said it was 110 in the shade when they visited.

While it may have FELT like 110 with the humidity or if you aren't accustomed to Florida in the summer, I promise it was not 110 as the all-time record high temperature in Orlando is a mere 102 F.

Still hot, and a great excuse to eat lots of popsicles, but not quite :thedolls: hot.

megustamex
01-15-2009, 12:20 AM
As everyone here has stressed, get out early. Leave by 1:00 when it will start to get UNGODLY hot. Eat inside in the A/C; don't skimp on buying COLD drinks. But my other advice is to go out again at night after the sun goes down. In the summer I believe the parks are open later, and if you take a nap during the day you can make the most of your day after the sun goes down. You won't believe how much better the same temperature feels when that hot sun is not beating down on you. And if you're lucky it might even cool down a few degrees after 8:00 in the summer. Summer nights in Florida are beautiful IMO, and the parks can be a little less crowded at night since (most) people with very small children tend to turn in earlier. Make the most of the EMH at night too if you are a resort guest.

kcrc
01-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your input! I do plan on following your suggestions - get there early (as long as the family gets moving with me :D), take the midday break, and go back out at night. That coupled with (perhaps) fewer bookings (hopefully other threads are correct!), and maybe we won't be too bad. I figure if we expect the absolute worst crowds ever, we can only be pleasantly surprised. Right??

thrillme
01-15-2009, 05:28 PM
My son and I almost ALWAYS go in the summer except for 2008 and we go in late JULY.

Yes it's hot but really Florida isn't all that horrible (I'm from Texas...I know HOT 60-70 degrees is our WINTER).

I think so many people are scared of that time of year they're starting to stave off going and go during the "off" times. I've "walked on" the Malestorm...during the "Extra Magic Hours" at night I've "walked on" Mission Space 3 times in a row at Magic Kingdom I've "walked on" Space Mountian, Buzz, Big Thundar and Splash Mountian. During the day...we hit the Fast Pass as quickly as possible. Head to Test Track first get a fast pass and stand in line (it's usually really short) then stand in the single rider, then use your fast pass later but if you want to do Soarin' go get that one next...(we don't like Soarin so we do Mission Space).

The biggest strategy is give yourself an extra day or two so that you can take it easy. Typhoon Lagoon has always been great. Just do the "BLASTERS" early in the morning first thing. Everything else is not much of a wait.

After the CROWDS last October...I PREFER the summer.