PDA

View Full Version : The Ayn Rand Man's Pre-WDW/Biz Trip

Frank Bullitt
01-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Allow me to introduce myself...
"He's just a bang beat, bell ringing, Big haul, great go, neck or nothin, rip roarin', every time a bull's eye salesman!"
I am 30 years old, work in sales management for a top-tier software development firm in the midwest, I have an MBA and a Porsche, and I am a closeted Disney Fanatic!!
My subordinates call me 'the Ayn Rand man' as a play on the Music Man, on account of the fact that I quote both Robert Preston's Harold Hill from the Music Man and 'Atlas Shrugged' in sales meetings.

How did it happen that a stereotypical 'suit' is re-living his childhood at WDW under the pretense of a business trip?

Picture if you will, the conversation:
The setting: The 'big' conference room that my firm uses to impress our high-dollar clients, wood paneling, carpet you could lose a shoe in, a fridge and a digital projector. The VP of Sales (Me) and the CEO (my boss) are discussing our long-term goals for 2009, and I've given my presentation about our new wingding product (unless you speak geekese it'll go over yer head), and he concludes with the following conversation...
CEO: By the way, we're sending you to a conference in Florida to tout this new product that's taken off here in the Midwest.
Me: Cool beans (yes I can say that to the CEO, I was with the companyit was was 5 people and he was the sales-manager/projectmanager/CEO and I was the marketing-manager/salesmanager/Account-Rep), where is it?
CEO: Well, its in Orlando, at one of the resorts in Disneyland or something
Me: (I refrained from correcting him to WDW, after he IS the CEO) alright, when do I leave?
CEO: That's what we like, a go-getter! Its the end of January, my secretary will give you your Itinerary and flight arrangements...

Needless to say after I left the meeting I went straight to my office, closed the door, made sure the blinds were drawn, then did my Disney Happy Dance :joy:
You've never lived until you've seen a 30 year old doing a happy dance in Armani LOL

So I got my arrangements, (January 25th to February 1st) and learned that they ran out of room at the conference hotel and that they bumped me to the Poly...

Well, since I am theoretically going to a conference, I won't be planning each day to the last second. I did get some ressies done...

Sunday 1/25
Sci Fi Dine-In, I liked this restaurant when when I went with the folks many, many moons ago...I'd like to see how it's aged.

Monday, 1/26
Cali Grille, I have a ressie for 2 in case I get a live one at the conference to wine and dine...I hear the food is exquisite

Wednesday, 1/28
Restaurant Akershus, I made the ressie on this one because I love Norwegian cuisine and I dined with the old man back in 2006. Its still a character meal, so we'll see. Anyone who's dining for dinner on that day, it'll be easy to spot me, look for the guy in a suit and tie dining solo LOL

The conference is Monday, Tuesday and Wed, so afternoons or mornings I will be in the conference and ducking out of the boring bits to check out the parks. Once again, if you see a guy in a suit in the parks, it'll probably be me...:thedolls:
Thursday onward I'll be on vacation proper so that will be cool.

mouseketeer mom
01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Ok then!!! Sounds like you're one happy man in a suit!! Thats terrific! I love when my DH gets to go to conferences in Orlando...the kids and I always go along. Have fun!!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Conferences for my husband's work are usually in Germany, Chicago, or Vegas. And if they do end up in Orlando....his group isn't going.

Have fun!! Better to be at WDW in a suit in January/February than June/July.

faline
01-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Enjoy your Disney time!

DlandMommy
01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
We will be there from Jan23-feb 1:DTrust me if i see a solo man in a suit i will laugh and say theres the closet disney guy and definitly go say hi:thumbsup:Hope you have a great time:mickey:maybe we'll see ya:thumbsup:

Frank Bullitt
01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I hope to take a bunch of pics (of the `World, not the conference LOL) and I am pretty excited about the trip.

I know the Poly has high speed internet in the rooms, but are there any WiFi hotspots in WDW?

Thanks!!

goofy for pluto
01-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Glory be and the saints be praised.
I hope you’re trip is Magical!!

:pixie:

dolphinmickey9170
01-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Alrighty then! Sounds like fun. Hope you have a great time and I can't wait to read your trip report!! :mickey:

Frank Bullitt
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
and getting excited!
trying to get packed and finish any last minute deals at the office...
I may have already posted this, but does anyone know if there are any wifi hotspots at WDW?