PDA

View Full Version : Driving to FW from New York

Disneyfirsttimer
01-13-2009, 11:05 AM
We are planning a trip for April 2010 to FW. We will be driving and towing our travel trailer. I know many of you have experience with this. A few questions for the experts :mickey::

How long is the drive for your trip?
How far do you drive the first day?
Where do you stay overnight if you stop?

We plan to take 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back. Any feedback that can be provided is appreciated! We are looking forward to the trip. It has been too long. I wish we lived closer :(.

Thanks!

PS - Wish I could change my screen name. Although not a seasoned Disney traveler, no longer our first time.

garymacd
01-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Start by getting yourself a copy of Drive I-95 by Stan and Sandra (Phillips) Posner. It is available at bookstores and your local CAA/AAA office. It gives you turn-by-turn instructions on how to get to the Florida border along the I-95. It lists things to do, places to see and stay along the way. It is an easy read mapbook, especially designed for those who hate maps.

Each page covers approximately 25 miles and is read from bottom to top. Put the map on your navigator's lap and you drive "up" the map. Each exit is listed with attractions, historical information, restaurants and hotels. When you are heading home, the back of the book has the exact same maps, but in reverse and are still read bottom to top.

Other than that, I can't help you. We haven't driven that route - yet. We have used its companion book Along the I-75 for our trips, and it is invaluable.

We take three days to make the trip. Of course, the first half day is taken up just getting to the Windsor/Detroit border (Go Wings).

Each day we cover 600 - 800 km. With washroom breaks, food breaks, rest breaks, it takes a full day.

Disneyfirsttimer
01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Start by getting yourself a copy of Drive I-95 by Stan and Sandra (Phillips) Posner. It is available at bookstores and your local CAA/AAA office. It gives you turn-by-turn instructions on how to get to the Florida border along the I-95. It lists things to do, places to see and stay along the way. It is an easy read mapbook, especially designed for those who hate maps.

Each page covers approximately 25 miles and is read from bottom to top. Put the map on your navigator's lap and you drive "up" the map. Each exit is listed with attractions, historical information, restaurants and hotels. When you are heading home, the back of the book has the exact same maps, but in reverse and are still read bottom to top.

Other than that, I can't help you. We haven't driven that route - yet. We have used its companion book Along the I-75 for our trips, and it is invaluable.

We take three days to make the trip. Of course, the first half day is taken up just getting to the Windsor/Detroit border (Go Wings).

Each day we cover 600 - 800 km. With washroom breaks, food breaks, rest breaks, it takes a full day.

Thanks. I will get the book. It will be helpful since we are driving to Myrtle Beach this summer for our camping vacation. Thanks.

RocklandRVers
01-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Hey Chester NY! We are very close to you hence our name. Sure you can figure out where we live. :secret:

We take the trip down in our RV about twice a year and have been since 2003. We have tried different routes but have learned that good old I-95 straight down and back is the shortest and quickest route. Sometimes your luck will be good and the traffic from NYC to DC will move along. Other times one fender bender will mess you up for hours. We find most of the time it takes us somewhere around 18 - 20 hours. You should make it in two days no problem.

I am a maniac and have no trouble driving for long hours. I did try driving straight through once but never again. Way too tiring and being a zombie behind the wheel is not safe. Usually I make the first day the longest ... about 12 sometimes 14 hours. That gets us into Georgia. Then we get into Fort Wilderness before noon. If the campsite is not ready we go to the parks, have lunch or as we usually do, go to Walmart and buy groceries for the stay.

Since we have a self contained Class B Van Camper, we stop overnight at truck stops (usually Flying J) because they are RV friendly and most allow it. Flying J has a special parking area away from trucks. We just pull in and close the curtains. We sometimes eat in their restaurants and then watch a little TV and hit the bunks. We adhere the dry camper's code No Awnings. No Slide Outs. No Cook Outs. Just park inconspicuously. We always buy gas at Flying J. Down I-95 they are just about a tank apart for us. I have a discount card that reduces the gas price a couple of cents and gives discounts on meals and items in their stores. DW even took a shower in one last February. She had heard how they keep them immaculate by cleaning them after each use. She was very impressed and loved it.

We never stop for more than a few minutes at rest areas especially at night. We have heard stories of the criminal element lurking there so we avoid them for sleeping. Besides nearly all forbid overnight parking. The police will come by and roust you anyway.

barnaby
01-15-2009, 08:12 PM
We are planning a trip for April 2010 to FW. We will be driving and towing our travel trailer. I know many of you have experience with this. A few questions for the experts :mickey::

How long is the drive for your trip?
How far do you drive the first day?
Where do you stay overnight if you stop?

We plan to take 2 days to get there and 2 days to get back. Any feedback that can be provided is appreciated! We are looking forward to the trip. It has been too long. I wish we lived closer :(.

We drive from South Jersey so the trip is about 17-18 hours total including stops.
We stopped in Savannah, GA our last trip and were on the road for about 13 hours, but that was because we went the "long way" and did some sightseeing (Bay Brudge Tunnel).

I liked the idea of driving down to Savannah the first day and getting most of the driving out of the way. We got up the next day, stopped at the Daytona Speedway, and got to WDW about 2.

luvmyboys4ever
01-15-2009, 09:10 PM
We drive from South Jersey so the trip is about 17-18 hours total including stops.
We stopped in Savannah, GA our last trip and were on the road for about 13 hours, but that was because we went the "long way" and did some sightseeing (Bay Brudge Tunnel).

I liked the idea of driving down to Savannah the first day and getting most of the driving out of the way. We got up the next day, stopped at the Daytona Speedway, and got to WDW about 2.

Same here! We stop at the Savannah exit right off the highway. It takes us about 12 hours, with several small stops.
From there...once we drove to a beach in St. Augustine(very nice and quiet), but if we go straight to WDW it's about 5 hrs with stops).
We drove a small SUV for one trip and a conversion van with all the bells and whistles for one trip. The kids didn't care either way...they had a TV/DVD and games in both vehicles. I like the van better...it holds more goodies for the trip back :D
On the way back, we stay somewhere between 10-12 hours from Disney. Next time, we'll probably drive straight home.

jonahbear2006
01-16-2009, 04:23 AM
We usually leave about 5-6pm and then the kids have a few hrs of driving before they fall asleep. Then they sleep all night, we drive all night and then we stop for lunch when they wake up and we finish off the drive. If we end up having to stop we stop before we get to atlanta georgia or any further south cause the hotels off the side of the road, at this point, increase by $20-40. On the myrtle beach topic. IMHO, you are better off visiting a florida beach, virginia, or north carolina. They are just as pretty and myrtle is so far out of your way. It was a great trip that we took there but the hype is what it is, it is a name. The stores that line the city are the same stores every other door and there isn't anything original to see there. If you go, I wish you the best trip, but I would suggest visiting Daytona or Virginia beach any day before Myrtle.

barnaby
01-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Same here! We stop at the Savannah exit right off the highway. It takes us about 12 hours, with several small stops.
From there...once we drove to a beach in St. Augustine(very nice and quiet), but if we go straight to WDW it's about 5 hrs with stops.
On the way back, we stay somewhere between 10-12 hours from Disney. Next time, we'll probably drive straight home.

We stayed at a Days Inn last March, right off I-95. Exit 109, I think. Nice place. New and inexpensive.

We stayed in Richmond, Va on the way back.
It took us 17 hours :( to get there though because we were stuck in traffic for the entire state of GA. It was the worst traffic I have ever been in.
Then it was about 5 hours to get home form there.

Next trip (looking more like 2010 instead of this year) I want to try driving straight through. I am thinking like 17 hours with small stops.
My kids are 8 and 14, and did great last trip.

luvmyboys4ever
01-19-2009, 04:42 AM
We stayed at a Days Inn last March, right off I-95. Exit 109, I think. Nice place. New and inexpensive.

We stayed in Richmond, Va on the way back.
It took us 17 hours :( to get there though because we were stuck in traffic for the entire state of GA. It was the worst traffic I have ever been in.
Then it was about 5 hours to get home form there.

Next trip (looking more like 2010 instead of this year) I want to try driving straight through. I am thinking like 17 hours with small stops.
My kids are 8 and 14, and did great last trip.

Too funny! We stopped at the Days Inn too. We liked it. We had a room right next to the pool, which the kids loved.

That is one of the worst parts about driving...unknown traffic! We have been very lucky. Is GA always under construction? We drove 2 years in a row and both times the cones were up, but nothing was different! Do they put them up so they can double the fine for speeding in a construction zone? :thedolls:

We stop about half-way on the way back, and stay at the Best Western in Smithfield, NC.Nice place. Any closer and my DH would want to keep going.

We might try no stops next trip if we drive, but only on the way back home. We did it going to Wisconsin Dells and we were fine...tired but fine. It's only 20 miles less than the trip to WDW.

The kids are fine, as long as they have something to do. I hated long road trips as a kid. There's only so many times you can play the alphabet game with license plates :ack:

russk42
01-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Is GA always under construction?

we've been driving I95 to florida for years, and i've made the same remarks to my wife ---although i've seldom seen any actual WORK in progress; there's always equipment, cones, and signs.

To answer the OP--i'd suggest that you make your overnight stop (on the way down) in southern SC or GA. you will be happy if you can reach the orlando area at mid-day---not too early, or you won't get to check in right away.

i see you're going in April 2010---that's not spring break is it? I've been once during spring break---never again! the traffic was intolerable (northbound), and the crowds at MK were amazing

medic9016
01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
we've been driving I95 to florida for years, and i've made the same remarks to my wife ---although i've seldom seen any actual WORK in progress; there's always equipment, cones, and signs.

To answer the OP--i'd suggest that you make your overnight stop (on the way down) in southern SC or GA. you will be happy if you can reach the orlando area at mid-day---not too early, or you won't get to check in right away.

This is good place to stop. We live about 35 min from the SC/GA state line right off 95. We leave around 6am. It takes us 5 1/2 hours pulling the camper. We have not had to wait on our site. This also give us time to set up the camper, eat a bite and head to the parks for a few hours.

Yes I-95 has been under construction for as long as I can remember.

tjstrike
01-24-2009, 04:48 AM

Is that book "along the I-75" book good for telling you RV friendly gas stations and restaurants ? This will be my first trip down with my TT and would like to know where I'm going to stop to get gas before I leave.

gmgdisneymom
01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
we drove down april of 2 years ago and we are going this april - we leave thursday night after work and drive into NC and stop at a walmart overnight (get the book Next Exit - it tells you all of the exits and what is at them - also get an Atlas from walmart - it gives you all of the walmarts) we then drive from fri morning to night and stop about an hour or so away from disney and stay overnight at walmart again - get up get all of our supplies and go to disney -

On the way home - we leave sat drive as long as possible and again stop at a walmart and then drive the rest of the way home on sunday - we get home about mid-afternoon. It is alot of fun