PDA

View Full Version : WDW Deluxe Resort Satisfaction Survey!

cgriff
01-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Please help Professor Ludwig Von Drake with this important scientific research!

Hammer
01-13-2009, 12:00 AM
I think you will find that most people on the board are "satisfied" with their WDW stay, but it does not mean that they feel it couldn't stand for some improvements. I'm satisfied with my stays, but I see where they could make changes for the better.

jonahbear2006
01-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Our bathtub leaked so bad, in order to bathe the children I had to leave the water running and stick a washcloth down in the drain. I didn't have the heart to tell them because I was so satisfied that I felt bad that something could go wrong, on their part. We were upgraded to concierge and treated so well, I felt like it would be really petty to expect anything more.

SurferStitch
01-13-2009, 06:34 AM
Thrilled! :cloud9:

SBETigg
01-13-2009, 07:39 AM
I've been completely satisfied and more than pleased with all my Deluxe stays. I would say that all of them have lived up to expectations and a few have exceeded expectations. Of course, everyone's expectations are different.

mouseketeer mom
01-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Totally satisfied.

BMan62
01-13-2009, 08:41 AM
I had to say Dissatisfied. The room was nice (Boardwalk Villas Studio) but did not seem Deluxe to me.

Refrigerator didn't work - froze everything you put in it in less than 2 hours. We turned it completely off, then just nudged it back on and it still froze everything.

Hair dryer didn't work. Not a problem for me, but DW doesn't like to go out with wet hair. Tried other things in the socket and they worked, so it WAS the dryer itself.

Stained bedspread - Big dark stain on the bedspread - possibly chocolate, but who really knows.

Air conditioning unit - Bumped the panel over the filter and it dropped off to show a filter completely clogged with gunk. The filter had 11/04/08 written on it. 2 months in the unit and no air could get through it. The supply air grille was rusted and dirty.

Carpeting in the halls was threadbare. When we got there, they had a blower pointed down the hall to dry it out. They must have cleaned it that morning, but it was still soggy at 3pm.

BUT, the room location was great; the balcony a wonderful place to have morning coffee; the walk to Epcot and DHS very pleasant (loved the ability to walk out of WS after Illuminations and be back to our room in 15 minutes!!); and the size of the studio was perfect for two people (don't try to get more adults in there, though, unless you are VERY good friends!!)

For a regular price room, these would balance out, but for a Deluxe I would deem this unacceptable. We were, however, staying on rented DVC points, so did not let it get us too overly upset, but we did write Customer Relations about our findings, with pictures.

Lynn J Mc
01-13-2009, 08:52 AM
I had to say dissatisfied with our last stay. All previous stays have been superb. Out of 16 visits only one has been bad.

ChipDale2708
01-13-2009, 09:05 AM
We were satisfied w/ our accomodations at the Beach Club (always are), however we were dissatisfied w/ our club level service. I had intended to send a letter when we returned, but never got to it due other time consuming projects. Is it too late to send a letter now? It was back in October.

Ian
01-13-2009, 09:08 AM
We were satisfied w/ our accomodations at the Beach Club (always are), however we were dissatisfied w/ our club level service. I had intended to send a letter when we returned, but never got to it due other time consuming projects. Is it too late to send a letter now? It was back in October.It's never too late.

Goes4FastPass
01-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Surveys tend to be answered by people who are either very satisfied or very unsatisfied.

I've never been particularly dissatisfied with a stay at a WDW resort but my expectations have been crowds, strollers - and rooms equivalent to Holiday Inn.

buzznwoodysmom
01-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I didn't cast a vote because the option I would have choosen was not there. Our first stay in a deluxe was WL and we were totally satisfied. Our second stay, again at WL we were completely dissatisfied and dissappointed. So much so that as much as we love WL we havn't been back because of the issues we had. We have also stayed at SSR, which has been the most dissappointing WDW resort stay ever. This place just didn't do it for us. Most of the staff was rude, the resort wasn't all that great and it didn't feel like we were in a WDW resort at all. We prefered CSR, which is a moderate, over SSR and would pick to stay at CSR over SSR anyday of the week. We have also stayed at Dinsey's Vero Beach resort, while not in WDW it is owned by disney. We were completely satisfied with our stay at Vero. So I guess 50% of the time it was great, the other 50% of the time was a bust.

Ian
01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
I agree the survey is fundamentally flawed ... there should be options for neither satisfied nor dissatisifed, sometimes satisfied/sometimes not satisfied, etc.

This one is too cut and dry.

Tink1
01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree the survey is fundamentally flawed ... there should be options for neither satisfied nor dissatisifed, sometimes satisfied/sometimes not satisfied, etc.

This one is too cut and dry.

And also the fact that while you may have been satisfied, you may not have felt that it was a truly deluxe experience. "Satisfied" is a broad term.

I stayed at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay for a similar price as the Contemporary. While I was "satisfied" with both stays, the Sheraton was a far more deluxe hotel. So while I may have been "satisfied", I felt I got more for my money in Tokyo.

In Seattle, the Sheraton was about the same price. Again, I was satisfied, but it was below the Level of the Contemporary IMHO. So Disney was the better value.

Nanc

Luv Eeyore
01-13-2009, 12:05 PM
We typically spend the first few days at a moderate resort then a week at a deluxe since we feel 7 days doesn't quite cut it at the World. We do this because of cost and size (deluxe resorts are expensive - and not all the views are really worth the price you have to pay - and the moderates are just not quite big enough - DH is large and with a family of 4 two double beds is not comfortable).

In all the years we've done this, only once has the stay at the moderate resort been more satisfactory than at the deluxe.

DawsonAR
01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
We loved our stay at the Poly and will do it again and again. We actually have liked all the deluxe resort stays but the Poly has topped them all.

Ian
01-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Another very important item to consider ... how many of you who said you were satisfied with your deluxe resort experience have stayed at a high end resort outside of WDW? Or is all of your deluxe accomodation at WDW resorts?

fielin
01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
This poll isn't precise enough.

I was not dissatisfied with my stay at AKL, but I thought it was completely inferior to Universal Royal Pacific resort in terms of amenities.

We had paid for a Savannah View Deluxe Room. We were given a room with a view over the DVC construction, and nearly had to beg to get a nicer view. It was my 30th birthday, and I was really disappointed, but I stayed polite, and nice.

They coldly told us that they had no deluxe room with a nicer view left, and that they could get us a standard savannah view, but would not refund us the difference in room rate.

Except for the animals, I thought this hotel (and its staff) were nothing special, and I much much preferred Port Orleans French Quarter.

Was I satisfied ? No, absolutely not. Did I enjoy my stay ? Of course.

I voted dissatisfied, although the truth is I liked it a lot. Just thought that it was NOT worth the premium.

Ian
01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
We had paid for a Savannah View Deluxe Room. We were given a room with a view over the DVC construction, and nearly had to beg to get a nicer view. It was my 30th birthday, and I was really disappointed, but I stayed polite, and nice.

They coldly told us that they had no deluxe room with a nicer view left, and that they could get us a standard savannah view, but would not refund us the difference in room rate.Wow ... I mean ... wow. I would have been irritated.

Of course, now is when the Disney apologists will trot in and tell you views aren't guaranteed, says so on your reservation, blah blah blah blah ... nevertheless, that's just horrible customer service and exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Could they solve the problem with your view? Ostensibly, no. No other rooms left in your category. Should they have offered to let you stay in the room and refund the additional you paid for Savannah view? Absolutely ... a Motel 6 would have done this.

big blue and hairy
01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Another very important item to consider ... how many of you who said you were satisfied with your deluxe resort experience have stayed at a high end resort outside of WDW? Or is all of your deluxe accomodation at WDW resorts?
Ian, stop grinding your axe. Why is it important? If you're satisfied, you're satisfied. DW and I have stayed at high end resorts outside WDW and outside this country. Yes there is a difference, that doesn't mean we weren't very satisfied with our stay.

Wow ... I mean ... wow. I would have been irritated. I agree completely, but...
Of course, now is when the Disney apologists will trot in and tell you views aren't guaranteed, says so on your reservation, blah blah blah blah ... was a preemptive strike against anyone who disagrees with you necessary?

Let me tell you, though, I would be more than irritated. If there was no other deluxe room with a Savannah view, and they moved me into a standard room, they would have refunded the difference. They don't want a loud dissatisfied customer being ripped off in the lobby, and they don't want letters going to WDW corporate. I would and I have. Whether or not, we agree if something is priced properly, I getting what I paid for, or I'm getting a refund, period.

:sulley:

fielin
01-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I was irritated, but I was more sad than anything, really. It was my 30th birthday, and my first trip to the USA, and to WDW.

I felt I could not appropriately convey my feelings to the manager, as english is not my first language.

I wanted this day to be perfect (you are only 30 once !), and did not want to make it worse than it already was. So I just accepted what they offered, and decided to make the most of my stay.

But I felt it was clearly not adequate for a hotel that advertised itself as Deluxe.

Ian
01-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Ian, stop grinding your axe. Why is it important?First off, I don't own an axe.

As far as why it's important, I guess I think it's important because I understand the impetus for this poll. It stems from a separate discussion in another thread, which deals with the relative value between Disney's level of deluxe accomodations and the deluxe accomodations offered by other Orlando-area resorts.

If you've never experienced the deluxe accomodations of another resort, you can't really offer a meaningful opinion on that topic.

However, I will concede that, if you aren't participating in that other thread, why that's relevant would not be readily apparent.

I agree completely, but... was a preemptive strike against anyone who disagrees with you necessary?It's not a pre-emptive strike ... it's a fact. There are people that would give Disney rave reviews if they walked in the door, forked over 2 grand, were forced to sleep in a tent in the parking lot, and got kicked in the head on their way out the door every morning.

Quite honestly, the opinions of those people have little value in terms of this discussion and how it impacts the 99% of the population who don't feel that way.I was just pointing out that the results of this poll will be skewed such that it has absolutely no value in terms of answering the question it was created to address.

big blue and hairy
01-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I felt I could not appropriately convey my feelings to the manager, as english is not my first language. That is a problem. I'm sorry you couldn't go up one side of him/her and down the other.

(you are only 30 once !)Unless, of course you beleive in reincarnation. (sorry, I had to)

cgriff
01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
The poll only asks about your *last* WDW Deluxe stay. This was an important and intentional decision of mine when I posted the poll, as I wanted to give greater weight (fairly) to the group who claim that WDW Resort quality is on the decline. I didn't want any guests' fantastic trip from the 1970's to matter in the poll, if their stay two months ago was dreadful.

Also, it was important to limit choices to "satisfied", "dissatisfied" and "never stayed Deluxe", so as to come to concrete conclusions about the data. If you were only moderately satisfied with your last stay, then that is "satisfied". If you were mostly dissatisfied but not entirely so, then that is "dissatisfied".

BTW the choice of the terms "satisfied" and "dissatisfied" was not my own, but were suggested by another Intercot member.

And for the record, *my* last stay at a WDW Deluxe Resort was at the WL in 2007, and I voted satisfied.

cindchan
01-13-2009, 08:48 PM
I stayed in the Savannah room at AKL. I just LOVED it!! It's still been my favorite place so far! ^_^ I want to stay there again, but ah!, so many places yet to stay at!

gueli
01-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Also, it was important to limit choices to "satisfied", "dissatisfied" and "never stayed Deluxe", so as to come to concrete conclusions about the data.

So what are your conclusions (so far) ?

I have been watching the other post, saw your survey & figured to chime in.

I hate to hear about problems like the one fielin had on their b'day. It is unfortunate that problems & solutions to those who are traveling from abroad are not delt with properly.
I am also surprised that the people who are not satisfied or have issues do not take them up with hotel managment right away. Broken appliances, long overdue filter changes, etc are things that can generally be repaired in short order (although not in time for the bath that is happening at the time). It brings to the point that if we, the paying guests, do not let them know something is wrong - how can they know that it needs fixing ?

This was an important and intentional decision of mine when I posted the poll, as I wanted to give greater weight (fairly) to the group who claim that WDW Resort quality is on the decline.
also, cgriff - if the point of the survey was to find out if wdw resort quality is on the decline- than why not have that be the poll ?

Ian
01-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I am also surprised that the people who are not satisfied or have issues do not take them up with hotel managment right away. Broken appliances, long overdue filter changes, etc are things that can generally be repaired in short order (although not in time for the bath that is happening at the time). It brings to the point that if we, the paying guests, do not let them know something is wrong - how can they know that it needs fixing ?I want to say first that I agree with you totally. You can't necessarily hold a company responsible for a bad customer service response if the customer doesn't escalate properly.

But in that particular situation you're referencing, the poster did say that he is not very comfortable speaking English and felt that that would be a barrier to productive communication with the manager.

And, to play :thedolls: advocate a little bit, wouldn't you agree that that particular situation never should have come up in the first place and, also, that Disney's first response should have been adequate to the point that speaking with a manager wasn't necessary.

I mean the premise most people on these boards put forth is that Disney provides world-class, premiere customer service ... second to none. If that is, in fact, the case (and I don't believe it is), then doesn't it follow that speaking with a manager shouldn't be necessary?

World-class organizations should have empowered front-line staff to resolve all legitimate guest complaints immediately without requiring the intervention of a manager. In fact, going one step farther, a world-class organization would never have charged a guy for an upgraded view room that ended up overlooking a construction site in the first place. :shake:

Wells
01-14-2009, 08:23 AM
We have stayed at both the Contemporary and Polynesian and have been satisfied with the accommodations at both. That is, they were neither spectacular nor disappointing.
Keep in mind that “Deluxe” is a relative term, that is, there is no official standard within the hospitality industry that defines in any absolute terms what constitutes “Deluxe” accommodations. “Deluxe” accommodations at Disney certainly offer better view, transportation and convenience options than a “Value” or “Moderate” resort, but certainly do not compare to a stay at the Four Seasons. Disney knows its’ market and provides services accordingly. Besides, the resorts are not the main attraction on a Disney trip, are they?

big blue and hairy
01-14-2009, 08:45 AM
First off, I don't own an axe. When it comes to this subject...

If you've never experienced the deluxe accomodations of another resort, you can't really offer a meaningful opinion on that topic. First, I have experienced other deluxe resorts and still am satisfied with WDW deluxe resorts. Second, you're wrong, an opinion of someone who had a wonderful time (or not so...) at a WDW deluxe resort that doesn't normally stay at deluxes is more meaningful to someone who is thinking about staying at a deluxe WDW resort, who hasn't stayed at other deluxe resorts and doesn't intend to, that yours that is skewed by having stayed at other deluxe resorts.

It's not a pre-emptive strike ... it's a fact. There are people that would give Disney rave reviews if they walked in the door, forked over 2 grand, were forced to sleep in a tent in the parking lot, and got kicked in the head on their way out the door every morning.

Quite honestly, the opinions of those people have little value in terms of this discussion and how it impacts the 99% of the population who don't feel that way.I was just pointing out that the results of this poll will be skewed such that it has absolutely no value in terms of answering the question it was created to address.Yes there are those people, but that isn't necessarily the majority, or even the majority who would disagree. I see what you are saying about the opinion on that far end, not being totally relavent, but the same could be said about yours. Do you think the majority of people who are staying in Disney deluxe hotels always (or usually) stay in deluxes? Not necessarily.

Wells
01-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Now, now boys.....lets not squabble, the question seems pretty straightforward to me “were you satisfied.......”
As I voted, in my own somewhat addled little head, I was satisfied and won’t make any apologies for that.
I guess one mans ceiling is another mans floor.......:D

cgriff
01-14-2009, 09:32 AM
cgriff - if the point of the survey was to find out if wdw resort quality is on the decline- than why not have that be the poll ?

Hi Gueli, in this other thread someone made the claim that "many more people who stay in WDW Deluxe accommodations are dissatisfied with their stay." They came to that conclusion having only asked people whom they knew (a closed reference group). I thought it might be informative, and frankly, more valid, to poll a larger group of geographically diverse people.

So what are your conclusions (so far) ?

So far the poll results reflect that many people who stay in WDW Deluxe accommodations are satisfied with their stay.

DDuck66
01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
In May of last year we stayed at the Poly Concierge Building. We loved it!!! The view was perfect and it was the most relaxing WDW vacation that we had ever had. Well worth the extra cost. I would do it again, but not every time we go.

BMan62
01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I am also surprised that the people who are not satisfied or have issues do not take them up with hotel managment right away. Broken appliances, long overdue filter changes, etc are things that can generally be repaired in short order (although not in time for the bath that is happening at the time). It brings to the point that if we, the paying guests, do not let them know something is wrong - how can they know that it needs fixing?

And that is why we left notes both in the room and on Mousekeeping carts making them aware of concerns without having to take them to the Customer Services desk. Unfortunately, since we were staying on rented DVC points, Mousekeeping did not make up the room during our visit and deemed it unnecessary to respond to our notes on their cart. That was also in our letter to Customer Services.

Again, none of the concerns we posted were of the vacation ruining variety, but we expected better from Deluxe/DVC accommodations.

Ian
01-14-2009, 10:26 AM
I see what you are saying about the opinion on that far end, not being totally relavent, but the same could be said about yours. Do you think the majority of people who are staying in Disney deluxe hotels always (or usually) stay in deluxes? Not necessarily.I think we've gotten somewhat off track from what the original discussion topic was here ...

First off, I do not, in any way, consider myself on the polar opposite end of the spectrum from the Disney Apologist segment. That would be Disney haters, of which I am obviously not one.

Am I realistic? Able to see and admit to Disney's warts? Yes. Will I talk about them openly and criticize when appropriate? Yes. Do I think Disney is perfect, never does anything wrong, and needs to be placed in some Ivory Tower to the point where I should just feel graced that they'll even accept my money and allow me to enter their theme parks? No. Never will. Every company, no matter who it is, needs to earn my dollars.

At any rate ... what you say is just off the mark. This conversation did not start out with someone who has never stayed deluxe anywhere asking if Disney's deluxe accomodations were satisfactory. They started out with just the opposite ... someone who compared two levels of Orlando-area deluxe accomodations and found Disney A. not price competitive and B. not measuring up in terms of amenities.

Honestly, that was it and that was all. And the purpose of this poll was, quite simply, to try and prove somehow that the guy was wrong.

But it can't possibly accomplish that, because it's inherently skewed in the sense that it's only querying die-hard Disney fans who visit a Disney internet fan site.

There is no possible way to present the results of this survey as relevant to that conversation. That's all I'm trying to say.

Goes4FastPass
01-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Am I realistic? Able to see and admit to Disney's warts? Yes. Will I talk about them openly and criticize when appropriate? Yes. Do I think Disney is perfect, never does anything wrong, and needs to be placed in some Ivory Tower to the point where I should just feel graced that they'll even accept my money and allow me to enter their theme parks? No. Never will. Every company, no matter who it is, needs to earn my dollars....

And it's certainly possible to be a WDW fan and still see faults.

It seems like when someone says there were, for example, obvious problems with the room, the replier asks, in effect, "how quickly, throughly, repeatedly and emphatically did you notify the resort?"

I, for one, hate complaining (really). When I think of WDW I think of Dumbo not being on hold with a call center a thousand miles away or standing in line at the front desk, a 10 minute walk from my room at midnight. Then standing at the front desk while they discuss me back at the supervisor's desk.

There are already too many guests complaining about stupid things and I don't want to add to the noise.

And I always feel like this hourly worker I'm complaing to thinks I'm trying to finagle some sort of discount or free dessert or something.

If Disney can make a ride seem like a Mars flight they can accomplish ground floor rooms at the BW that aren't moldy, even in central Florida.

I drive a Honda not because they have a great complaint department but because in multiple vehicals over hundreds of thousands of miles I've never had a need to use their complaint department.

big blue and hairy
01-14-2009, 11:14 AM
I think we've gotten somewhat off track from what the original discussion topic was here ...

First off, I do not, in any way, consider myself on the polar opposite end of the spectrum from the Disney Apologist segment. That would be Disney haters, of which I am obviously not one. I didn't say that Ian, read what you quoted. I know you are a Disney fan, so am I. I know you can see most problems objectively, so can I. My point is that since you obviously stay in deluxe resorts more than the average person, that scews your opinion, just like someone who has never stayed in one and is blown away by the deluxes.

Ian
01-14-2009, 11:26 AM
I didn't say that Ian, read what you quoted. I know you are a Disney fan, so am I. I know you can see most problems objectively, so can I. My point is that since you obviously stay in deluxe resorts more than the average person, that scews your opinion, just like someone who has never stayed in one and is blown away by the deluxes.

:sulley:No, see I totally don't think so. I mean look ... it's NOT like I'm being nit-picky here that they don't have fluffy enough towels or their sheets are 1,000 thread count. I'm talking about very basic customer service stuff, like a guy who pays for an upgraded view, ends up overlooking a construction site, and is refused not only a new room but a refund of the extra money he paid for his upgraded view!

That's got nothing to do with "deluxe accomodations" or any kind of unreasonable expectations. That's a level of service you'd honestly expect from a Motel 6.

That's what I'm getting at. It's not like I'm some hoity-toity Four Seasons snob. I'm not at all. I just think Disney fails miserably in some of the most basic aspects of customer service.

At the very least, they're guilty of being extremely inconsistent. Read the boards. Are there rave reviews? Absolutely. But for each one you'll find a negative one. And that, IMO, is not world class. Consistency of guest experience is a hallmark of top tier service organizations.

big blue and hairy
01-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Now, now boys.....lets not squabble, lol...nothing personal, just a difference of opinion. Have you ever read the Magical site? We're having a lovefest....:funny:
As I voted, in my own somewhat addled little head, I was satisfied and won’t make any apologies for that.
I guess one mans ceiling is another mans floor.......:D
And you shouldn't, unless you voted with malice...;) BTW, why are you addled?

big blue and hairy
01-14-2009, 11:35 AM
No, see I totally don't think so. I mean look ... it's NOT like I'm being nit-picky here that they don't have fluffy enough towels or their sheets are 1,000 thread count. I'm talking about very basic customer service stuff, like a guy who pays for an upgraded view, ends up overlooking a construction site, and is refused not only a new room but a refund of the extra money he paid for his upgraded view! I agree with you on that, you read what I would have done. Part of what I'm basing my comment on is previous similar threads we've both been a part of.

That's what I'm getting at. It's not like I'm some hoity-toity Four Seasons snob. I'm not at all. I just think Disney fails miserably in some of the most basic aspects of customer service. Not saying that, but but a lot of companies have failures of customer service. It's not an excuse, it shouldn't happen, period, but it does. Unfortunately, if people don't complain, nothing is fixed. Don't anyone take that personally, I understand why you don't want to complain during your vacation.

At the very least, they're guilty of being extremely inconsistent. Read the boards. Are there rave reviews? Absolutely. But for each one you'll find a negative one. And that, IMO, is not world class. Consistency of guest experience is a hallmark of top tier service organizations.
I think extreme may be a little, well, extreme. It is human nature to complain about something bad, more than rave about something good.

Goes4FastPass
01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Part of my reason I am satisfied with Disney is my expectations.

My wife I were at Ohana, just the 2 of us, but we were seated right in front of the 'actvities' - the hula, coconut race start etc. The emcee apologized to us for bumping in to our table and the general confusion. We told him we came to Ohana expecting to be around family fun. He laughed big, put leis on us and assured us we would.

I don't expect WDW to be "sophisticated", the California Grill will always have strollers and flip-flops, but I expect WDW to be "correct". Our last stay at check in they insisted we had booked 'standard' not 'preferred'. Insisted, realy insisted. We forgive you but you're wrong insisted. Only when I dug out my Disney printed confirmation and they read p-r-e-f-e-r-r-e-d did they tell me none were avilable and I would need to switch resports and there would be a wait (it was 4pm) or I could go to my building 6 room and start my vacation. I asked them if they were going to reroute our DME luggage and they cheked again and (magically) found a preferred location room.

Ian
01-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I think extreme may be a little, well, extreme. It is human nature to complain about something bad, more than rave about something good.True ... I definitely agree with that. It's pretty accepted that people tell 10 times more friends about a bad experience than they do a good one.

But bear in mind, I'm not going only on what's described on INTERCOT. I visit WDW 3 to 4 times a year myself and I know what I see. I personally observe, time and time again, dramatic inconsistency in their service levels.

Our last stay at check in they insisted we had booked 'standard' not 'preferred'. Insisted, realy insisted. We forgive you but you're wrong insisted. Only when I dug out my Disney printed confirmation and they read p-r-e-f-e-r-r-e-d did they tell me none were avilable and I would need to switch resports and there would be a wait (it was 4pm) or I could go to my building 6 room and start my vacation. I asked them if they were going to reroute our DME luggage and they cheked again and (magically) found a preferred location room.That mirrors almost exactly an experience we had at OKW.

Upon check-in, they just insisted that we had only requested the base DDP and not the Deluxe DDP. We were adamant that we had requested the deluxe plan, but the check-in CM just kept on pushing back.

Now look ... this was a patently ridiculous situation to begin with. If I check in and say I want to pay more for my dining plan, they should just go, "Absolutely Mr. Mitchell. That's not a problem."

Instead it was a huge deal. I asked the CM, "Why do you even care? Just give us the deluxe plan now." and she actually said to us, "Well, it's a LOT OF WORK (the emphasis was hers) to do that."

Like I care??? :confused:

At the end of the day, I had to trudge out to my Tahoe, dig through my luggage, find our confirmation letter, trudge back inside, show them where on the confirmation it said "Deluxe Dining", and then wait while the CM went in the back to get a manager, drag him out, huddle over the monitor, and whisper in hushed tones about what to do.

I mean it was just absolutely absurd. I wanted to give them MORE MONEY! After waiting close to 30 minutes, the manager basically tells us that if he adds the deluxe dining to our reservation he has to cancel our existing reservation and re-book us which means we could lose our room category since they had people on waitlists for our room category, etc.

At this point, I just told him I didn't care what he said, he was giving me what I had asked for when I made my reservations and he had to figure out how he was going to do it. After spending about 5 minutes stressing with me how fortunate I was that they were making this grand accomodation for me, they finally fixed our reservation.

And all this because their reservations CM messed up!!!

I'm sorry ... that is NOT world class anything.

big blue and hairy
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
True ... I definitely agree with that. It's pretty accepted that people tell 10 times more friends about a bad experience than they do a good one.

But bear in mind, I'm not going only on what's described on INTERCOT. I visit WDW 3 to 4 times a year myself and I know what I see. I personally observe, time and time again, dramatic inconsistency in their service levels.

That mirrors almost exactly an experience we had at OKW.

Upon check-in, they just insisted that we had only requested the base DDP and not the Deluxe DDP. We were adamant that we had requested the deluxe plan, but the check-in CM just kept on pushing back.

Now look ... this was a patently ridiculous situation to begin with. If I check in and say I want to pay more for my dining plan, they should just go, "Absolutely Mr. Mitchell. That's not a problem."

Instead it was a huge deal. I asked the CM, "Why do you even care? Just give us the deluxe plan now." and she actually said to us, "Well, it's a LOT OF WORK (the emphasis was hers) to do that."

Like I care??? :confused:

At the end of the day, I had to trudge out to my Tahoe, dig through my luggage, find our confirmation letter, trudge back inside, show them where on the confirmation it said "Deluxe Dining", and then wait while the CM went in the back to get a manager, drag him out, huddle over the monitor, and whisper in hushed tones about what to do.

I mean it was just absolutely absurd. I wanted to give them MORE MONEY! After waiting close to 30 minutes, the manager basically tells us that if he adds the deluxe dining to our reservation he has to cancel our existing reservation and re-book us which means we could lose our room category since they had people on waitlists for our room category, etc.

At this point, I just told him I didn't care what he said, he was giving me what I had asked for when I made my reservations and he had to figure out how he was going to do it. After spending about 5 minutes stressing with me how fortunate I was that they were making this grand accomodation for me, they finally fixed our reservation.

And all this because their reservations CM messed up!!!

I'm sorry ... that is NOT world class anything.I comletely agree with you about the problem at the desk. There is no excuse. Not only is it poor customer service, it's patently stupid!, if you weren't fixing the mistake made, no matter who's fault it was, you'd still be working, just on something else. Were you keeping them there late? The biggest problem is summed up in one word. Training.

That said, you did compare apples and oranges. OKW is not a deluxe hotel, so whether or not that was world class is irrelevant.

I don't claim that WDW is necessarily World Class. This is where I say that you are biased. Not anti-Disney, just scewing the poll in a different direction. Of course, that's why, in a poll, you want a big response, because you're part of the crowd, and so is someone who's never been to a deluxe outside of WDW.

Wells
01-14-2009, 12:24 PM
BTW, why are you addled?

That's what they're trying to find out........:confused:

SurferStitch
01-14-2009, 12:35 PM

I've stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC on 3 occasions. Once was spectacular (on par with a Grand Flo stay), and the other two were meh.

We recently stayed in the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Beautiful hotel, but rooms are somewhat basic. Still nice, but nothing like the Flo or Poly. Our view of Times Square was incredible, though. Should be for $500+ per night.

I don't know what you consider it, but we have stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Universal once. Rooms were very modern and cool, but too spartan for me. We had a view of the grounds behind us and the boat launch area. Still not as warm and inviting as WDW resorts.

We have also stayed at other big hotels in NYC (Sheraton Manhattan, Sheraton New York, W, etc.) Rooms were very nice, but nothing themed or all that memorable. Views were cool, cause hey, it's Times Square and NYC. Even with AAA discounts we still paid around $350-$500 per night. The Waldorf was around the same, but the one time that we got a newly refurbished 1 bedroom corner suite it was incredibly priced at only $300 per night. :thumbsup: That room now goes for around $750+ per night.

So, we have stayed at beautiful luxury hotels before (did a Google search for luxury hotels in NYC, and ours made the cut), for around the same price, so I can say that we were even more satisfied with our WDW stays in the Flo and Poly. We did get more for our money (live entertainment, better dining in the resort, goodies in our room, better toiletries, actual grass and flowers, etc.)

Goes4FastPass
01-14-2009, 01:38 PM
We have also stayed at other big hotels in NYC (Sheraton Manhattan, Sheraton New York, W, etc.)...

The price of Manhatten hotel rooms, like those in WDW reflect location more than thread count.

I guess I don't wrapped up in which are better because I can't see a reason to compare them.

People who are delighted enough with WDW to stay at monorail resorts so many times they refer to having breakfast at Cindy's whenever they stay at the Flo or the Poly have legitimate reasons to prefer staying at Disney World.

Heavens! What kind of WDW fans are DVC members, people who have prepaid their Disney vacations for the next few decades?

I just can't see the disagreement here. Disney offers what the call Deluxe, Moderate and Value and people choose and pay and from all types some people come away delighted and others dissapointed. I suggest there are people in both groups that have legitimate reasons for the response.

PS and I just gotta tell you 'cause I'm excited. I just booked my next deluxe stay: the Park Hyatt Shanghai.

Hammer
01-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi Gueli, in this other thread someone made the claim that "many more people who stay in WDW Deluxe accommodations are dissatisfied with their stay." They came to that conclusion having only asked people whom they knew (a closed reference group). I thought it might be informative, and frankly, more valid, to poll a larger group of geographically diverse people.

I don’t see how the response to your survey is more or less valid than the people with whom I have spoken with. It’s just a different focus group.

No, see I totally don't think so. I mean look ... it's NOT like I'm being nit-picky here that they don't have fluffy enough towels or their sheets are 1,000 thread count.

I do not expect those things either, but you have to take into account that there are people who do expect that when they stay at WDW Deluxe accommodations. Their point of reference for Deluxe is going to be the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton and they will compare the amenities they receive at those places with what they receive at WDW. For many, WDW deluxe will not measure up.

I’ll go back to my sister (who is an Intercot member and I would ask her to post to this thread, but she is busy planning an event in St. John for one of her clients). When she plans a company’s Presidents’ club or some other sort of incentive event, she is aware that the people who will be attending expect certain amenities included in their accommodations, such as large, plush bath towels, high thread count sheets, automatic turndown service (this is a service I know GF does provide), a selection of high end toiletries, a low staff to guest ratio, etc. This is not as important to us as WDW fans, but for some people it does. I will be interested to see what happens once the Four Seasons opens up in 2010 and people can choose between very nice accommodations at the Poly or Grand Floridian with the monorail location or staying at the Four Seasons on property which will give them the amenities to which they are accustomed but does not have the prime location (we don’t know how transportation will be handled for this resort yet). I would say most on this board would choose Poly or GF, but wonder what regular travelers to who is just this year’s vacation destination would choose.

I've stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC on 3 occasions. Once was spectacular (on par with a Grand Flo stay), and the other two were meh.

We recently stayed in the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Beautiful hotel, but rooms are somewhat basic. Still nice, but nothing like the Flo or Poly. Our view of Times Square was incredible, though. Should be for $500+ per night.

I don't know what you consider it, but we have stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Universal once. Rooms were very modern and cool, but too spartan for me. We had a view of the grounds behind us and the boat launch area. Still not as warm and inviting as WDW resorts.

We have also stayed at other big hotels in NYC (Sheraton Manhattan, Sheraton New York, W, etc.) Rooms were very nice, but nothing themed or all that memorable. Views were cool, cause hey, it's Times Square and NYC. Even with AAA discounts we still paid around $350-$500 per night. The Waldorf was around the same, but the one time that we got a newly refurbished 1 bedroom corner suite it was incredibly priced at only $300 per night. :thumbsup: That room now goes for around $750+ per night.

I mentioned before how I think the Waldorf is living off its reputation which it does not always live up to that level. I would consider the Hard Rock Universal deluxe. You did not like the decor (sort of how I'm not crazy about the room decor at the Poly) but were the room amenities equal/better than the Poly or YC/BC? I would expect for the amenities at the Grand Floridian to be better than the Hard Rock (Universal's equivalent is Portofino Bay).

fielin
01-14-2009, 02:12 PM
I agree with you on that, you read what I would have done. Part of what I'm basing my comment on is previous similar threads we've both been a part of. Not saying that, but but a lot of companies have failures of customer service. It's not an excuse, it shouldn't happen, period, but it does. Unfortunately, if people don't complain, nothing is fixed. Don't anyone take that personally, I understand why you don't want to complain during your vacation.

About that, I feel I need to underline the fact that I DID complain (hence the 'downgrade'), and I DID ask the manager for a partial refund.

I did say that I was not satisfied with the solution they gave me.

But after that... No, I did not insist. My education prevented me from going over the top, and I feel I should not have had to, especially at a 'Deluxe' Resort.

I am pretty fluent in English, but this is still a foreign language for me, and when I get too emotional, or frustrated, it becomes more difficult for me to make sentences and stay coherent.

At this point in my conversation with the manager, I felt I could not go further without making a fool of myself, or looking like a pathetic foreigner trying to get a bargain.

So I dropped it. Hence my frustration.

Ian
01-14-2009, 02:42 PM
The biggest problem is summed up in one word. Training.Mmmm ... see, I don't really agree. Bad training is not the root cause of the problem. Bad training is just a symptom.

I have my own theories on why service is so inconsistent and not on par with Disney standards, but they are just theories. They're based on facts I've gathered from reading, research, speaking with cast, yes ... but at the end of the day they are just my own opinions.

With that appropriate disclosure out of the way ...
WDW is just too darn big. The need for bodies is so ridiculous that they honestly have to scrape the bottom of the barrel just to meet basic staffing needs. Couple that with the WDWCP and the inevitable bad apples that come along with it and you've got the makings of a sub-par cast.
There's far too little central control. I honestly think they believe this is a good thing but it isn't, because it leads directly to the kinds of inconsistencies I'm talking about. Each resort, park, shop, etc. operates like it's own little entity with its own management making their own decisions. Since it basically just comes down to how each location does in terms of P&L, some people just don't care enough to worry about things like guest satisifaction. They know as long as they're making money their jobs are secure.
Very, very, very poor leadership. Disney is an incredibly political organization. Because of the depth and breadth of the company, there is a fair amount of opportunity for advancement. Unfortunately, management is incented to focus almost exclusively on the bottom line as their means for getting ahead. In addition, because of the political nature of the organization, managers often spend more time kissing ... err ... networking than they do performing their actual jobs.
Decades of systematic abuse by their guests. I know this sounds ridiculous, but there was a time (not all that long ago) when a segment of society went by the notion that, "If you complain at Disney World you can get anything you ask for!" As is often the case, that small group of greedy individuals ruined it for everyone else. Disney now has a moderately adversarial relationship with their guests. They're looked upon more as sheep to be herded from point-to-point with as minimal fuss and interaction as possible.
The typical short-sightedness that permeates American corporations today. All they care about is the current stock price. Long range planning is non-existent. Really what I'm getting at here is ... they're making plenty of money doing it the way they're doing it and until that changes they have zero incentive to change.

big blue and hairy
01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Mmmm ... see, I don't really agree. Bad training is not the root cause of the problem. Bad training is just a symptom.
Not bad training, lack of training and continuing training. At that is a problem with a lot of short-sighted companies. Disney would probably benefit from bringing in the guys who used to work at Disney and teach the Disney way of doing things.

Unfortunately these things happen everywhere including deluxe resorts outside Disney I and others here have experienced it. The thing to do is not to let them get away with it.
from fielin
About that, I feel I need to underline the fact that I DID complain (hence the 'downgrade'), and I DID ask the manager for a partial refund.

But after that... No, I did not insist. My education prevented me from going over the top, and I feel I should not have had to, especially at a 'Deluxe' Resort.

I am pretty fluent in English, but this is still a foreign language for me, and when I get too emotional, or frustrated, it becomes more difficult for me to make sentences and stay coherent.

At this point in my conversation with the manager, I felt I could not go further without making a fool of myself, or looking like a pathetic foreigner trying to get a bargain.

So I dropped it. Hence my frustration.
That's exactly why I put in the disclaimer. I wasn't refering to you or anyone else in particular. I understand that people don't want to ruin part of their vacation with an arguement. I don't either. It depends how egregious it is to me whether I'll complain and argue.

SurferStitch
01-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I would consider the Hard Rock Universal deluxe. You did not like the decor (sort of how I'm not crazy about the room decor at the Poly) but were the room amenities equal/better than the Poly or YC/BC? I would expect for the amenities at the Grand Floridian to be better than the Hard Rock (Universal's equivalent is Portofino Bay).

I have to think back here. It was back in 2001, but I do remember my DH saying that he missed the Flo so much while we were staying at the Hard Rock (we stayed in Universal for a few days after our stay at the Flo for a few days, then the DCL). We took photos of everything, so I looked back at them to get a good look at the room/bathroom.

Well, there was a basic TV (like at the Flo back in '01), and a CD player. We didn't use the CD player. They gave us a CD with some music on it when we checked in, but it wasn't that good. Other than than, we don't travel with music CD's, so no need for the player.

Toiletries were sparse. Basic shampoo and conditioner, and soap. At the Poly we had their spa brand of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, two types of bar soap, and liquid body wash.

Size - Poly had more space. The Hard Rock had a huge bathroom, but a lot of it was wasted space.

Bedding - about the same at both, but the Poly had a softer blanket. I remember the Hard Rock bedding feeling a little rougher.

The Hard Rock was (and probably still is) really, really big on being green. They didn't change the sheets while we were there (3 days). They also didn't bring us new towels like we requested. They were big on reusing towels.

The shop at the Hard Rock only offered Hard Rock logo items, whereas at the Poly and other WDW deluxe resorts you get a nice change of pace with the resort clothing and other items they offer without logos on them.

We had a boat to take to the parks, but it didn't travel too frequently. We could also walk to the parks. They did have nice landscaping.

Hard Rock does have one the best restaurants we've ever eaten at....The Palm. We love that place, and dine there in NYC, too. But, there are so many places on the monorail that are just as wonderful (Narc's, Cali Grill, V&A).

I would have to say the Hard Rock was somewhat close to the Poly quality-wise, but the staff at the Hard Rock was no where nearly as friendly and professional as at the Poly or Flo. ....that is, when you were able to find someone.

And like you said....it never, ever came close to the Grand Flo. No comparison.

I never stayed at the YC/BC (want to try BC sometime), so I just can't make a comparison there. Perhaps someone else will be able to.

Ian
01-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah, but in the interest of full disclosure here, I don't think anyone has ever proclaimed the Hard Rock as a deluxe resort, have they?

I mean if you look at the nightly rates between the Hard Rock and the Floridian, it isn't even close.

Just a quick, random look on Travelocity shows an average nightly rate at the Hard Rock of $149 per night. The quote price for the Flo is $314 per night. More than double.

SurferStitch
01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah, but in the interest of full disclosure here, I don't think anyone has ever proclaimed the Hard Rock as a deluxe resort, have they?

I mean if you look at the nightly rates between the Hard Rock and the Floridian, it isn't even close.

Just a quick, random look on Travelocity shows an average nightly rate at the Hard Rock of $149 per night. The quote price for the Flo is $314 per night. More than double.

That's why I was asked to compare it to the Poly, which I did. Read my post above. (And yes, I know...the Poly isn't much cheaper than the Flo).

Also, they won't get more than your $149 per night. If they could, they would....obviously.

cgriff
01-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Ian, you've jacked my thread here. And we know you have a special deference to Original Posters, so please stop electioneering at the polling place.

cgriff
01-14-2009, 06:15 PM
I don’t see how the response to your survey is more or less valid than the people with whom I have spoken with.

The larger the sample size and the more geographically diverse your sample, the more valid the survey.

cgriff
01-14-2009, 06:30 PM
I will be interested to see what happens once the Four Seasons opens up in 2010 and people can choose between very nice accommodations at the Poly or Grand Floridian with the monorail location or staying at the Four Seasons on property which will give them the amenities to which they are accustomed but does not have the prime location.

That will definitely be interesting. It will also be interesting to see if the Four Seasons, with its bona fide true concierge staff, will be able to get their guests tables at Cinderella's Royal Table when it's been booked solid for months in advance...

Nascfan
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM

You shouldn't have to go over the top to get a partial refund on a downgrade no matter where you are. Deluxe, Moderate, or Value, Hilton or Holiday Inn, any of those doesn't figure into having to be anything more than polite but firm any more than the other. That was VERY poor customer service to not give you a partial refund.
I am sorry for your experience. That just wasn't right.

cinderellagrl
01-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Thrilled, thrilled, thrilled....

Most recently we stayed in a refurbished club level beach club room!

Beautiful flowers (fresh every couple days), new linens and paint, and just an overall cheerful theme...

Plus the room was always realllly clean and the beds were 'oh sooo comfy

Cinderelley
01-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Very dissatisfied with our stay at Poly, and yes, I am one who has stayed at a real "Deluxe" hotel with a "real" concierge.

gueli
01-15-2009, 04:25 AM
:funny:
Ian, you've jacked my thread here. And we know you have a special deference to Original Posters, so please stop electioneering at the polling place.

:funny: thanks cgriff that made me smile
(no disrespect intended Ian, i am more reffering to the elctioneering comment)

gueli
01-15-2009, 04:29 AM
You shouldn't have to go over the top to get a partial refund on a downgrade no matter where you are. Deluxe, Moderate, or Value, Hilton or Holiday Inn, any of those doesn't figure into having to be anything more than polite but firm any more than the other. That was VERY poor customer service to not give you a partial refund.
I am sorry for your experience. That just wasn't right.

you have that right.. :tiphat:

gueli
01-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Mmmm ... see, I don't really agree. Bad training is not the root cause of the problem. Bad training is just a symptom.

I have my own theories on why service is so inconsistent and not on par with Disney standards, but they are just theories. They're based on facts I've gathered from reading, research, speaking with cast, yes ... but at the end of the day they are just my own opinions.

With that appropriate disclosure out of the way ...
WDW is just too darn big. The need for bodies is so ridiculous that they honestly have to scrape the bottom of the barrel just to meet basic staffing needs. Couple that with the WDWCP and the inevitable bad apples that come along with it and you've got the makings of a sub-par cast.
There's far too little central control. I honestly think they believe this is a good thing but it isn't, because it leads directly to the kinds of inconsistencies I'm talking about. Each resort, park, shop, etc. operates like it's own little entity with its own management making their own decisions. Since it basically just comes down to how each location does in terms of P&L, some people just don't care enough to worry about things like guest satisifaction. They know as long as they're making money their jobs are secure.
Very, very, very poor leadership. Disney is an incredibly political organization. Because of the depth and breadth of the company, there is a fair amount of opportunity for advancement. Unfortunately, management is incented to focus almost exclusively on the bottom line as their means for getting ahead. In addition, because of the political nature of the organization, managers often spend more time kissing ... err ... networking than they do performing their actual jobs.
Decades of systematic abuse by their guests. I know this sounds ridiculous, but there was a time (not all that long ago) when a segment of society went by the notion that, "If you complain at Disney World you can get anything you ask for!" As is often the case, that small group of greedy individuals ruined it for everyone else. Disney now has a moderately adversarial relationship with their guests. They're looked upon more as sheep to be herded from point-to-point with as minimal fuss and interaction as possible.
The typical short-sightedness that permeates American corporations today. All they care about is the current stock price. Long range planning is non-existent. Really what I'm getting at here is ... they're making plenty of money doing it the way they're doing it and until that changes they have zero incentive to change.

I can see your point. It is almost like they want to fight you on giving you what you want,even when you are willing to pay for it.
That is the height of poor customer service.
I like your theories, but I do wish there was a way to get them to change- going back to making things correct and making the guests happy.

gueli
01-15-2009, 04:41 AM

But after that... No, I did not insist...

Again, I hate to see someone disapointed, especially someone like yourself- who traveled very far to celebrate something important. Sorry if I misconstrued your original post about who you complained to- my only point was they should have made it right- not sent you away feeling frustrated.

fielin
01-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Again, I hate to see someone disapointed, especially someone like yourself- who traveled very far to celebrate something important. Sorry if I misconstrued your original post about who you complained to- my only point was they should have made it right- not sent you away feeling frustrated.

No need to apologize ! :thumbsup:
I think I needed to vent, now I'll leave the soapbox alone. I still had a great time, mostly thanks to the staff at PortOrleans Riverside (my second resort on this trip) which more than made up for my disappointment.

The most memorable birthday in my whole life !

Ian
01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Ian, you've jacked my thread here. And we know you have a special deference to Original Posters, so please stop electioneering at the polling place.I haven't "jacked your thread" nor am I "electioneering."

I'm merely pointing out the obvious, which is that this survey and any attempt to use it to prove any type of conclusion is absurd.

This is roughly akin to walking into a McDonald's and asking the people eating there if they like McDonald's food and then turning around and using the results to say, "98% of people surveyed like McDonald's food."

big blue and hairy
01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
This is roughly akin to walking into a McDonald's and asking the people eating there if they like McDonald's food and then turning around and using the results to say, "98% of people surveyed like McDonald's food."
Actually it's more like asking them if they think the quarter pounder with cheese is worth the money, since they can always get a big mac or a cheeseburger.

Just because you're a Disney fan doesn't mean you have to think the deluxes are worth the money...poor analogy.

skram79
01-15-2009, 01:17 PM
My best trip ever to Disney was 03 we when stayed at the Contemporary. Amazing, and it was before the rehab. If you can fit it in your budget it is worth it.

Ian
01-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Just because you're a Disney fan doesn't mean you have to think the deluxes are worth the money...poor analogy.BZZZZZ! Wrong. Thank you for playing.

First off, the question does not ask if deluxes are worth the money. It asks if they're satisfactory.

Second, you're only polling Disney fans who have actually stayed in a deluxe resort and who are far more likely to find a stay in a deluxe satisfactory vs. an average Joe.

It's a terrific analogy and right on the money.

big blue and hairy
01-15-2009, 02:16 PM
BZZZZZ! Wrong. Thank you for playing.

First off, the question does not ask if deluxes are worth the money. It asks if they're satisfactory.

Second, you're only polling Disney fans who have actually stayed in a deluxe resort and who are far more likely to find a stay in a deluxe satisfactory vs. an average Joe.

It's a terrific analogy and right on the money.If you want to argue a point, argue it logically, as opposed to sarcastically. Obviously, part of the satisfaction has to do with the money paid and has to do with other choices, whether on property or not. You use comparisons to other choices and money paid when it suits your arguement. So, bzzz right back at you. Lousy analogy, try again.

Ian
01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Okay, sorry. That was not intended to be sarcastic. I was joking around.

But I don't really get what you're saying. I'm just not sure what you're actually debating? Are you saying you think this poll has statistical merit?

Mickey91
01-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I was satisfied with my last stay at the CR but if there hadn't been the monorail and Chef Mickeys to see every morning I don't think I would have been happy. We had a hard time getting mousekeeping to give us the right number of towels. We didn't get the "extra" service I thought we should have. So though I was "satisfied" I wasn't overjoyed. Since it seems to be our last Disney trip for a very long time, I'm glad we did it.

big blue and hairy
01-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Okay, sorry. That was not intended to be sarcastic. I was joking around. It's all good.

But I don't really get what you're saying. I'm just not sure what you're actually debating? Are you saying you think this poll has statistical merit?
Well, I guess that depends on how you look at it. Since it is a poll of Disney fans of their opinion of the deluxes, it has merit on that basis.

But.... it is my opinion that most polls mean absolutley nothing, except that it was worded in a way to solicit answers the company wants.

***The above comment is not directed at this poll or any other poll on Intercot, they are usually for fun and taken that way***

For instance...My silly poll (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=147893)

big blue and hairy
01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
But...ahem....Satisfied is kickin' yer butt...

:funny::rotfl::goof::silly::laughing::eek2:

Mickey91
01-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Actually, as I think on it, your satisfaction with the Disney deluxes and "did you get what you paid for" has to be in comparison with their moderate and value. If you compare any of the Disney resorts to outside sources you would be disappointed in the size and ammenities for the price you paid. You have to think about it in relation to all things Disney. With that in mind, here is how I feel:

Values: Small in comparison to what you could get for the money outside of Disney. Some Kissimmee resorts have very nice accomodations for this price. With that said, the values are way better than the same size room for less. At least you can sleep in peace and safety.

Moderate: A small step up and for the money okay. Again, you can have the same size room or bigger off site with nice ammenities but without the Disney "magic"

Deluxe: A giant leap in price difference. Not necessarily a better vacation.
In 2002 we stayed at the WL for the first time. It was our first Deluxe experience and we have compared our Deluxe stays since that time to this first trip. 2003 was the Poly. It was beautiful in its own right but the service was disappointing. 2006, back to WL. Terrible service, mean staff, mean/rude people at the front desk, our courtyard view looked suspiciously like woods to me, not sure where the courtyard was, were disappointed we had to split our stay and go to the Pop for the end of our week but had much better service at the Pop and actually enjoyed that part of the trip more! 2008, CR. Mousekeeping was terrible. No coffee refills in the room, no towel creatures, they couldn't figure out that 5 people couldn't use two towels even when I left a note asking for 5 towels. The saving grace was an upgrade to the tower and overlooking Chef Mickeys and the monorail.

So is the deluxe worth it? It depends on the week and the staff. It has become an unpredictable gamble. I would rather stay at value and have the extra money to buy the overpriced, cheaply made souvenirs!:mickey:

They can call all of the downsizing and snipping "extras" necessary in the current economy if they want, but their service has steadily gone downhill since 2002. During this time, Disney World has had record attendance. The downturn in the economy just gives them more excuses to cut more magic and blame everything on the current situation instead of on pacifying their share holders with bigger and bigger profits.

pamickeys
01-15-2009, 06:40 PM
like always "you get what you pay for". I pay a lot and have always been satisfied, sometimes the little things like towels just don't matter.you've got to look at the big picture, and it's usually worth every penny.

grwoolf
01-15-2009, 09:35 PM
I voted 'satisfied' and have stayed at WL and Poly several times. Going back to WL late this month after taking last year off. We like the deluxe resorts for theming and location, but that's what you are paying for. The service is decent at best if you are comparing to a $200-$300/night room outside the world.

My biggest pet peeve is long lines at check in. Becuase they do the whole ticket thing at check-in, I've had years where I've spent over a half hour in line to check into a deluxe hotel. Absolutely inexcusible and a sets a poor tone for the trip. I just don't feel like I'm really on vacation until we are checked in. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, but they just don't have a good process when a bunch of people all come at once.

I travel all the time on business, and I've never waited more than 5 minutes to check in (even at lower end properties like residense inn, fairfields, etc.)

Our first year as a family to WDW we stayed at POR, and check in took about an hour. I had not been to WDW since I was a kid and we thought we had made a big mistake. The rest of the trip was great and we've been back many times.

ParkMan
01-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I chose satisfied - but I agree with the sentiment of many who posted before me. The poll's structure limits the value of it's results.

I travel quite a bit and probably stay at upwards of 30 hotels a year. Those hotels are not all deluxes.

I think of a couple of ways of measuring my stays at hotels:

value - Was the price I paid fair for the combination of services, quality of accommodations, convenience, and location of the hotel.

quality of lodgings - What was the class of service and quality of accommodations irrespective of price.

My last stay at a deluxe was the Boardwalk a few years ago. At the time, I was quite satisfied with the hotel as it represented a good value to me. I was however, not as impressed with the quality of the hotel as I would have liked.

The key things that impacted the quality were:
- there was noticeable wear and tear in the room. It just didn't have the "first class" feeling I'd expect in a deluxe hotel.

- there was a noticeable odor in the room. It wasn't bad enough that I wanted to switch rooms, but it did smell a bit musty.

- service - the staff was friendly enough, but they just didn't seem to go beyond expectations.

- transportation - perhaps this is a bit off topic, but we felt bus transporation to the hotel was not what I'd expect in a deluxe hotel If I'm staying at a deluxe hotel, I don't want to spend 30-45 minutes going to four other hotels.

As a DIsney "fan", I have high hopes for WDW and would LOVE to write nothing but rave reviews. However, as a frequent hotel guest, I think it is fair to "rate" a WDW hotel against other hotels labeled deluxe or luxury. If Disney did not want the comparisons, then they should not use the label. If I had to give WDW an overall grade, I'd put their hotels somewhere in the middle. Not the best, not the worst.

GrmGrninGost
01-17-2009, 12:46 AM
No complaints from me! :mickey:

StillSimbaGirl
01-17-2009, 01:40 PM
As an adult:

First trip - The Poly about 5 years ago...I came directly from Universal's Royal Pacific. I enjoyed the Poly, but the Royal Pacific beat it badly as far as amenities, luxury etc. That said, I could see the fireworks from my balcony. Magic! Really enjoyed that trip even if the Poly didn't really stack up - but probably because I had just left the Royal Pacific.

2nd Trip - AKL - lovely hotel, but my hall/room smelled a little funky! And absolutely terrible location for the amount of money...I missed the Poly at that point.

3rd Trip - BC - OMIGOD the best most perfect trip ever. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

4th Trip - BC - OMIGOD. Swear to you, I was booked in there for 10 days and they stuck me above that tar roof. Didn't expect an upgrade...but to be given the worst possible room? Eventually got moved...but I felt like they were trying to punish me the whole time. The treatment wasn't great...talking to Disney is like talking to a brick wall.

5th trip - well I've been back to Universal a couple of times...taken in Sea World and Discovery Cove...but every time I contemplate shelling out a couple of grand for what I got at Disney last time...I am disheartened. I've thought about going back and doing a moderate so at least I don't feel like I'm just a wallet. Yeeks.

tinksmom02
01-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Wow ... I mean ... wow. I would have been irritated.

Of course, now is when the Disney apologists will trot in and tell you views aren't guaranteed, says so on your reservation, blah blah blah blah ... nevertheless, that's just horrible customer service and exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Could they solve the problem with your view? Ostensibly, no. No other rooms left in your category. Should they have offered to let you stay in the room and refund the additional you paid for Savannah view? Absolutely ... a Motel 6 would have done this.

I understand that requests aren't guaranteed, but if you PAY for a Savannah View room, that's not a request, right? If they couldn't accommodate that view, they should have at least refunded the price difference.

Iluvpooh
01-17-2009, 11:02 PM
The only deluxe resort at WDW I stayed in are WL and AKL. I personally prefer CSR. Maybe it because CSR is on par with those 2 resorts (minus the views) for less money.
I am planning on staying at the Poly in October for my wedding anniversary. So, I may have a different view of the deluxe resorts after I stay in a "real" deluxe resort at WDW. Oddly enough I do tend to stay in nicer hotels outside of WDW. Maybe it is because I feel safer at WDW and have never felt the need to pay for a better location or nicer accomodations inside the "WORLD"like I do in the "real" world.
BTW_I didnot vote my last deluxe stay was at in a 2BR villa at OKW last year and I am not quite sure it counts.

jonahbear2006
01-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Wow, i am so shocked to see how this thread has caused people to emote. I thought it was a very simple poll and this really does have a deep relation to everyone who has had even a slightly poor experience.

I only stayed deluxe once and the other two times we camped in a tent. Two extremes! I loved the tent camping but I hate the staff at Fort Wilderness. They have a 'you get what you pay for' attitude, and I told the cm on the phone that I feel this way all over WDW.

For example, when we ventured to GF for lunch and visited the grounds we were stopped by several people who worked there and were lovely with us, one cm even sat down, an elderly man, and had a great conversation with us during our lunch at the Gasparilla Grill. This steered us to their deluxe. BC gave us nothing but their undivided attention. We felt like we were the only people in that resort by the way the concierge and the front desk treated us.
I think by separating the value, moderate, and deluxe they have essentially created roman bath-houses. You have those who just want a bath and don't mind how they get it, those who would prefer not to bathe in such a large community, and those who can afford to bath in a more private setting. It isn't suppose to come off that way, however, there are politics involved. You are paying for a status, a location, a more private place to stay, less people around, less noise, and prettier place to rest. I was even told on the phone that you should get the same treatment, no matter where you stay on property, so I don't believe deluxe is selling deluxe treatment. Although, from what we have experienced, you are a much more important person to them on deluxe property than on value, even if you aren't staying there.
I think your disposition and your expectations play a small part in the responses from the staff but I WAS disappointed in the housekeeping. I felt we were paying well but we never saw one towel animal on concierge in 6 nights and only one of those nights did we have turndown service, a benefit that is listed as a paid for service in concierge. My kids were disappointed there were no animals, but concierge gave us everything we asked for and offered so much more. Maybe I am easy to please or not used to living on that side of the world. It takes us mths to pay off a trip that size but we are willing to do it because of location, the luxury of the resort, landscaping, and the pools. It never really occurred to me that I should consider whether or not I was satisfied by whether or not the maid did her job.

As for needing something, I would never rely on a maid to refer information to staff, such as something needing fixed or there not being enough towels. I would go straight to the concierge or to the front desk and ask for a manager. Not only are you not going to get it done, in almost any hotel or resort, but maids are given so many rooms to do in a certain amount of time I only expect my bed made and all the old towels taken and a few new ones put out.

Our maid, even though she didnt do the animals, she cleaned our room, folded the kids baby blankets, sorted shoes, filed things in categories of items, and placed things where they would be used, instead of where we left them; on the floor. That was more than I expected her to do in the small time frame she has to spend in just OUR room. I was exceeding the satisfactory mark. Disney is NOT perfect but I truly feel that it is closer to it than anywhere else. If you really have a bad problem and nothing is done about it, then you need to keep on them, and calling isn't really enough. Put it on paper and write it. Something about writing it down seals the issue and is harder to hide.

When we wrote in with our issues with fort wilderness, the cm gave me a good hour of her time, on the phone, to discuss my letter and allow me to re-iterate and we discussed each issue at a time. I felt as though I was getting somewhere and then when she followed up with free tickets and a free nights stay, I wasn't expecting a hand-out and it brought tears to my eyes. I was super thrilled that they even cared. This is MORE than ANY company has done for us in my LIFE, for being dissatisfied. So, anyways, to get off my soap box, we left BC satisfied, so I voted Satisfied.