PDA

View Full Version : Chris's Universal Trip Report Part 1

chrisb26
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Part 1 of my trip report can be found Here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=148317)

Day 2 – Saturday January 3rd Part 2

Saturday we decided as I said to go to Universal. The reason being I wanted to see what kinds of Christmas Decorations Universal had since I had never been there when the decorations were up. So once we arrived we headed over to Universal Studios. First we decided to take a trip to the future with The Terminator. I’ve always liked that show I think they do a great job with that. After we defeated Skynet we headed towards the Simpsons however that was quite a long line about an hour and half I believe so we decided to skip that for now. We then headed over to defeat some aliens on the MIB ride. This is probably one of my favorite rides at Universal and my favorite shooting type ride I’ve been on it is a lot of fun. We did single rider and got in very fast however my vehicle had some problems and half way through the ride our entire vehicle was no longer to shoot anything and didn’t receive any type of score which was a bit annoying. After MIB we went on Jaws which I got pretty wet on the water seemed to be attracted to me lol. After we got that mean old shark we went decided to give Disaster a try.

For those that don’t know Disaster is what Earthquake was. It is a little different. The opening is completely changed and they do an amazing hologram type effect that really amazed me and I was impressed how real it looked like the director was talking to us from a stage. We then went to the room where we had our volunteers do their parts at making the move. After that we were on the ride. Now I always loved Earthquake and thought it was a lot of fun. It is pretty much the same expect with one major difference. Since we are now making a movie we have TV screens in the train thing with us with a guy yelling commands at us the entire time the earthquake is happening. This completely ruined the ride for me. I didn’t like him screaming to yell now all the ladies yell watch out for the fire! All that was very annoying I would have preferred if they just let us watch and have our own reactions. So while the first half of the ride is great the ending wasn’t so great.

After Disaster we took a ride on the Mummy and then looked at the decorations. Universal only really decorated the streets area from near Disaster to the Mummy the rest of the park really didn’t have much. I did like Universals decorations on the buildings but it can’t really compare to Disney’s decorations. We then started to make our way to the front of the park and took a look at the construction of Rip Ride and Rocket. It looks pretty cool and I can’t wait for the coaster although a large section of the park is blocked off. From Twister all the way to the end of the Jimmy Neutron ride there is only a small little walk way the rest of the area is blocked off due to the construction.

We then made our way to Islands of Adventure. When we entered we saw they had decorated the front area of their park which was neat they also completely decorated Seuss Landing as part of their Grinchmas. They did a pretty good job of decorating the land however it was the only part of the park they decorated the entire rest of the park didn’t have a single decoration. We really didn’t do much here mainly because we didn’t have much time since they were closing pretty early. We mostly just walked around the park as we made our way towards the Lost Continent to see the progress of the new Harry Potter land they are making. Now I thought what they were doing in Universal was kind of a mess with its small part blocked off due to the Rip Ride Rocket ride but over at IOA it is much much worse. Half of the Lost Continent is blocked off all the way through to Jurassic Park. IOA had to build a brand new bridge to reroute you and I must say it is very congested in this area and a real mess. They also made a new entrance to Dueling Dragons which was needed since the old entrance is now blocked off. I will say I was disappointed they tore down the big dragon sculpture they had at the entrance to the ride. I always loved that big thing and wasn’t happy they removed it. After making it through we decided to ride the Spiderman ride after that it was about time for the park to close so we made our way out.

We were pretty hungry at this time so we decided to go eat at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. I love this restaurant and love the Forest Gump trivia our waitress was very nice and pretty funny.

Overall we had a good time. I have always liked the original Universal Studios more then Islands of Adventure. I like the rides more there probably because they are themed to movies more so then you get at Islands of Adventure. Even with the blocked parts it was still a fun day.

Click Here (http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/chrisb2626/Universal%20Studios%20Jan%2009/) for pictures of my entire trip to Universal Studios

JPL
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Sounds like another fun day:thumbsup:

Really cool pictures

WDWFanatic
01-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Sounds like a very full day. How were the crowds compared to WDW?

We agree about Disaster. A couple of us in our group got to be in the first half so that was fun, but I like the second half better the old way. The only part that helped was we had one little one who was nervous, so he pretty much knew what was going to happen next and wasn't as nervous.

It's too bad they only decorate a small portion of their parks but it's probably enough that the average guest doesn't notice, lol.

Off to read the rest.

NJGIRL
01-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Now I always loved Earthquake and thought it was a lot of fun. It is pretty much the same expect with one major difference. Since we are now making a movie we have TV screens in the train thing with us with a guy yelling commands at us the entire time the earthquake is happening. This completely ruined the ride for me. I didn’t like him screaming to yell now all the ladies yell watch out for the fire! All that was very annoying I would have preferred if they just let us watch and have our own reactions. So while the first half of the ride is great the ending wasn’t so great.

Click Here (http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/chrisb2626/Universal%20Studios%20Jan%2009/) for pictures of my entire trip to Universal Studios

It's funny how you didn't like the change. We loved it. We were laughing so hard we were crying it was so funny.

chrisb26
01-20-2009, 07:47 PM
It's funny how you didn't like the change. We loved it. We were laughing so hard we were crying it was so funny.

Well I like the video they play at the end that was funny its just the yelling during the earthquake part I'd rather enjoy the ride and have my own reactions not the ones they yell at me to have. But the video they play at the end is funny.

Hull-onian
03-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I enjoyed your photos that you posted. We like Universal for a change. It's a nice place to visit for a day. You did a good job.:thumbsup:

pink
05-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the trip report. I've been itching to get back to Universal, I haven't been there since IOA first opened. I'm glad you had a good second day and we also loved Bubba Gump Shrimp. :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
05-06-2009, 04:33 PM
great pix Man!!:mickey: