PDA

View Full Version : Disney with an infant

sigmaqt95
01-11-2009, 09:35 PM
We are planning a family trip for late fall. One of the families with us will have a baby that will be at the max 8 weeks old. Has anyone went with a baby this small? I just an really unsure of how it will all work out.

Strmchsr
01-11-2009, 10:12 PM
You can make it work, and late fall is better than the summer heat. Be sure to use the baby stations, allow for naps, and use the baby swap feature. It's actually not that hard doing WDW with an infant. My greatest concern for a child that young is being exposed to the tons and tons of germs. That little immune system might be overwhelmed by it all.

Hayden's Dad
01-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I agree with Strmchsr. It can be done jsut make sure you find the "Baby Stations" in the parks. They are lifesavers and much better on small tushies than the changing stalls in the bathrooms, plus a place to rest, and if the mother is breastfeeding a quiet place for that too. Have Fun!! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
01-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I think WDW is very doable with an infant. However, my concern would be with the mother. If for some reason she has to deliver via c-section, will she really be up for all the walking and long days in the parks so soon after the baby is born. Considering many babies are born a week or more past their due date the baby could be closer to 6 or 7 weeks old, which for a normal delivery is the time the mother is released to go back to work. I felt great after giving birth to both of my children, but I don't think I would have been up for a trip to WDW so soon. Another consideration is the infant may not yet have any of his/her immunizations. That would be something I would worry about. I tried not to take my babies too many places until after they had at least their first set of shots. I just always thought it wise to plan a big vacation like WDW after the birth of a new child. That way you know whether or not the baby is healthy enough for that kind of travel and you have some time to get to know your new baby and their habits. I could have taken my babies anywhere, they were so good, but my brother and his wife found themselves home for the first year of their son's life, because he was a very cranky baby most of the time.
Whatever your family decides I hope you have a great vacation.

Disney Lynn
01-12-2009, 02:03 PM
I agree with the other posters. I'll add that the parents should discuss this with the pediatrician. Especially discuss any air travel (little ears can be affected by the pressure change- most docs recommend nursing during take-offs and landings) and whether they should take any meds (like baby acetaminiphen) with them just in case, etc.

Also, I found traveling much easier with my baby (now all grown up!) in a soft front-pack carrier rather than in a stroller. It's easier in crowded areas and safer for the baby (I've seen people trip over strollers!).

diz_girl
01-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Ditto on consulting with the pediatrician. IMHO eight weeks is really too young for a WDW trip. A newborn's immune system isn't developed enough to fight off viruses/bacteria until 2-3 months of age. That's why any time an infant under 3 months of age has a fever they usually go straight to the emergency room and into the NICU.

DS developed a fever at 3 days old and he went right into the NICU. He was hooked up to IVs, given anti-virals and anti-biotics and had a spinal tap. They have to start treatment before the test results come in, so that's why he was given meds right away. It turned out that the fever was most likely due to dehydration. If the one family in your group doesn't want that to happen to them on their WDW trip, maybe they should stay home. Could you postpone your trip?

LuvAllPrincesses
01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
So I guess I'm one of those careless mothers...we had a Disney trip planned out one year ahead of time, low and behold, I became pregnant with #3. We decided to go ahead with the plans, and are glad that we did. The baby should have been 7 weeks old for our trip, but came two weeks late (darn him) and pushing 10 pounds, so he was a healthy 5 weeks old when we left. I was on maternity leave, so that was a plus as far as time off from work (teaching). It all went wonderfully, and little brother didn't ruin DD5 and DS13's chance to go. I got tired easily, but it was my 3rd child so I knew what it was all about - taking a trip back to the resort every afternoon to sleep! What would we have been doing at home anyway - sleeping and not getting out of the house; it was nice to get fresh air and not have to cook/do laundry, and have some family time together as a new family of 5. It was easiest to have the front carrier; we took turns carrying him. The convertible stroller was really bulky to cart around. We went in December; the weather was perfect. I was breastfeeding and I'm sure that made it easier - no bottles/formula warming to deal with. The baby stations were absolutely wonderful. I spent a great deal of time relaxing in them and meeting back up with the rest of the family via cell phone call when we were ready to. As far as germs, no one ever attempted to touch the baby b/c he was attached to one of us almost all of the time. He was exposed to far more germs when we had visitors at our home/church/etc where everyone expects to hold a baby. NO regrets whatsoever about having taken a 5-6 week old to Disney. We have some amazing family photos from that trip. It's hard to believe that we are now planning our last trip for November before that little baby turns 3 and is a full-paying customer!

buzznwoodysmom
01-13-2009, 02:36 PM
LuvAll,
I don't think anyone is saying you are a careless parent. When it comes to our children all parents do what they believe is best for their child. I can't speak for everyone else, but I was just pointing out things the OP or her family may not have considered. She didn't mention if this was the family members first child or not, but if it is a first child there are many things I know I didn't consider while pregnant for the first time. I am glad your trip worked out so good with your little one.

Disney Doll
01-13-2009, 03:08 PM
The baby stations are really a wonderful treasure so be sure to find the baby station in each park. I'm sure it is doable and many people have probably done it, but for me I would not be taking a baby that young to a theme park. I would need time to recover from one big life event before tackling a vacation. Every baby is different and you never know if this baby may be the type to have a more challenging temperament. I know my son would have been no fun at WDW at 8 weeks. Either way, hope you have a great trip!

megustamex
01-13-2009, 03:18 PM
I've taken both my kids at 5 weeks. It was easy except when it was hot. Make sure that they stay hydrated - if you are breastfeeding, yes, the baby care stations have wonderful facilities for this where you can relax. Great for diaper changes too as stated. I didn't really have immune system issues with my baby because he was in the stroller most of the time outside except when I was holding him on a ride, and of course on the plane. But I've always traveled with my kids when they were young. We had a great time.