PDA

View Full Version : First DCL Cruise and Flights

Disdude
01-11-2009, 02:30 PM
We just booked our first cruise (ever) and we're trying to arrange our flights. I currently have a direct flight from DFW on hold that would arrive the day of the cruise at 11:00 AM. I am wondering if that might be a little dangerous. We've had this same flight or one a little earlier in the day quite a few times and we've never had an issue. The SM at DVC Member Services (we're using points) said we have to land by 12:30 or we would miss the cruise.

What would you do? We can use more DVC points and send the night before (if available) but the flights are not priced right the day before at the times we want.

TammiMcMan
01-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Unless you are flying during a time of year when bad weather could cause delays, I think you'll be fine with an 11:30am arrival. MCO is probably the quickest that we've ever experienced with luggage coming off the plane, so that shouldn't delay you much. Are you using DCL transportation from the airport? That will be about an hour and the ship sails sometime between 4:30 and 5pm.

Ed
01-11-2009, 03:20 PM
A lot would depend on a few factors:

1. What time of year, meaning how likely/unlikely are weather delays - heavy rain season, hurricane season, etc. ? If it's in the wintertime, remember that although it might be sunny and dry in Dallas, your particular aircraft might be grounded in Chicago by 2 feet of snow.

2. Which airline, and what is their "track record" for on-time departures and arrivals, outright cancellations and such?

3. Remember "Murphy's Law". You almost have to factor in the unexpected; mechanical problems, traffic tie-ups (both on land and in the air) and other such problems have a bad habit of happening at the most inopportune times!

The ships depart at 5pm sharp, whether you are aboard or not. They do NOT delay the departure for late arrivals. And all passengers MUST participate in the emergency drill, which is held at 4pm. DCL requires that you be aboard no later than 3:30pm. This give you just enough time to get to your cabin, grab your life preservers, and be ready for the drill.

Perhaps I'm a pessimist, but I'd be a little leery of a scheduled 11am arrival time at the airport. I'm assuming that using "more DVC points" means staying at WDW overnight. Personally, I'd try to arrive the day or evening before departure, and spend the night either at one of the airport-area hotels or the port-area hotels. I'd sleep a whole lot better not having to worry about my flight arriving on time.

Be sure to check out all your options as far as different airlines and schedules to find the right combination of arrival time and price. A few extra bucks might be the difference between a cruise that's a dream and one that's a nightmare!

TammiMcMan
01-11-2009, 03:31 PM
The ships depart at 5pm sharp, whether you are aboard or not. They do NOT delay the departure for late arrivals. And all passengers MUST participate in the emergency drill, which is held at 4pm. DCL requires that you be aboard no later than 3:30pm. This give you just enough time to get to your cabin, grab your life preservers, and be ready for the drill.While DCL may advertise and prefer this, the reality is they are a bit more flexible. I've been on a cruise where they held the ship due a flight delay. We watched those poor people come rushing off the bus and racing up the gangplank. Not the best way to start a trip, but they made it.

My own cousin was on one cruise we took and although she only lives a few towns away from the port, they were running late and didn't board until after the drill. They were still required to go through it, but they weren't denied boarding at 4pm.

Ed
01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
I stand corrected. :blush:

I was going on info in the DCL pre-cruise booklet, that says "The ship departs Port Canaveral at 5 p.m. To sail, you must be on board at least one and a half hours before that."

Good to hear they occasionally have some flexibility.

Disdude
01-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the input. I am a pessimist and I know I would be devastated if we missed the boat. We have points to use this year because of banking/borrowing for a trip that was supposed to happen but was cancelled. We don't have enough points to do anything else so we booked a night at OKW. It will give us the morning to spend at Downtown Disney.

I had read some where that you could arrive between 3:00 and 3:45 and still make it. They said the check you in at the airport but you have to get yourself there. We're not taking the chance.

Ed
01-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Prudent choice. :thumbsup:

I sure wouldn't want to try the "arrive at the airport at 3:45 and still make it" routine. :eek:

With my luck, there would be a 716-car pileup on the BeachLine, my car would have three flat tires, and the ship would be at Castaway Cay before I got into third gear. :D

Me ? A pessimist ? Whatever gave you that idea? :shrug:

DisneyFr33k
01-12-2009, 09:59 AM
The SM at DVC Member Services (we're using points) said we have to land by 12:30 or we would miss the cruise.

Last year for our first cruise, our plane ran over 1 hour late do to some mechanical problems. We didn't arrive in Orlando until 1:30and didn't arrive on the boat until 3:00 without issue.

RobWreck
01-14-2009, 08:17 PM
If you're booking your airfare through DCL (which is stupidly expensive), then if the flight is late and you miss the boat, they WILL get you to the next destination to join the ship. If you miss the boat and booked the airfare on your own... well, you're on your own.
Personally, our last cruise we flew in the night before and stayed in the Marriot (?) right in MCO, catching the ground transportation the next morning. The room price was pretty reasonable and there was no fear about missing the boat due to a late flight. Bear in mind that the airline delay doesn't even have to be at your airport... it could be a delay at wherever your plane is coming from. For a cruise, it's defeinitely not worth cutting it too close.
Enjoy,
Rob

PS: As for the hotel in MCO, the room was nice, there was a great restaurant in the hotel (with a beautiful view of the planes taking off and landing), and the luggage issue was easily handled and you catch the bus to the boat right in the hotel lobby. :D

TammiMcMan
01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
I think the only hotel inside the aiport is the Hyatt. They have an arrangement with DCL, so that you can leave your luggage out before going to bed and they'll take it down and put it on the transport truck for you. All you need to do in the morning, is take your day bag, head down to the lobby and meet up with the DCL representatives. We've stayed here a few times and it's very nice. It can be pricey if you can't find a deal and the rooms have a 4 person maximum occupancy. They do offer a 50% family discount if you need to get a 2nd room.

RobWreck
01-18-2009, 12:48 AM
I think you're right... now that I think about it, I think that it is a Hyatt. Regardless, I meant thehotel that's actually part of the hotel, with all the balconies overlooking the inside lobby area of the airport.
Rob

JMTStone
01-18-2009, 07:49 AM
For our trip, we decided to add a few days on BEFORE the boat to see WDW (couldn't be in the area without a visit)

If I were in your shoes, I would stay the night before using points. Pick a resort that will come and pick you up (for an additional charge, but its Disneyfied). Then arrive the day before and RELAX. You don't even have to go to the parks.