PDA

View Full Version : Car, train, plane or boat?

disneycutie165
01-11-2009, 12:01 PM
When you go to Disney, what do you like to travel by: :plane:, :car:, :train:, or :boat:. And I need help! We plan to go to WDW soon, and we don't know how to travel. My mom wants to drive because she hates the whole airport process, but me and my dad LOVE the plane and the whole airport process. But in our house mom's vote counts for more. So we don't know what we'll do but we hope we can fly. Please share what do you think we should travel by and share your thoughts!

g8rgirl29
01-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I think there are a lot of things that need to be considered. How long of a drive would it be for you? Do all of you drive? When flying you get to use DME. If you take the train you will need to rent a car or catch a taxi. I prefer to fly because I don't want to start out my trip already wiped out. For us it would be a 16 hour ride with a 5yo. Last year we flew and got to our home airport at 11pm. The 1 1/2 hour ride home was torture. We were so exhausted that it was hard staying awake. I can't imagine having to drive 16 hours after a full week at Disney. I have friends that drive from western NY and love it, they make the ride part of the adventure.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-11-2009, 12:20 PM
I said car, but then I live 10 hours away and it is easily do able via automobile. In fact, we leave in just under 2 weeks and DH and I will be driving down to Sanford (an hour outside of WDW) the day before we check in.

Dopey's Girl
01-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Fly...I'm like 1600 miles, so that is really 2 days driving, and I'm really a bad rider. I get annoyed, and antsy, and just can't deal with more than 3 hours in the car without a long break. That eats up a long time, and since I don't get an unlimited time off work, to the airport I go!

Ed
01-11-2009, 01:12 PM
:car:

But then again, I'm only 22 miles away! :D

sassafras
01-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Fly, but I'm an eighteen hour drive away. Even with driving to the airport, getting there 2 hours early and flying for 2 hours our whole trip is about 5 hours. Much better than the long drive (and I hate to drive thru mountains!)

Pete Olsen
01-11-2009, 02:38 PM
We are from the north coast of Ohio. We did the RV drive three times when the kids were young. Now we always fly. Magical Express is great. We leave Cleveland at 9am and we are on Main Street by 2pm.

TinyDancer
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
I love taking the train! I actually like the plane best, but since that doesn't sound like a good idea for your family I voted for my second favorite: the train!!! Where are you located? If you're within driving distance to Lorton, VA (near DC) you can take the AutoTrain!!! Its more expensive, but you don't have to worry about a taxi or renting a car or anything!!!:mickey:

pianobabe
01-11-2009, 09:57 PM
We are about 10 hours away, but I like to fly down. This past trip our flight took off at 7:50 and we were standing in line for a bus to DTD at 10:25.

Urbss
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
We just went in Sept and took the autotrain - it was wonderful. It wasn't the cheapest option by any means - but it was a lot of fun and my 4 year old loved it. It was also nice to have the car to get around which saved us a ton of time vs. using Disney transportation.

We drove back over two days (about a 17 hour trip).

Next time we are going to drive there all in one night (we've done it before) and then take the Auto Train home.

disneycutie165
01-12-2009, 04:11 PM
We would be best flying, because again my boyfriend, dad and me love the plane. Plus, it would be HIGHLY IMPOSSIBLE for us to drive. I'm now 17 and can drive, and my DBF is 18 and can drive, but he can't sit in a car and gets very carsick after 3 hours. My dad gets grumpy because he either needs coffee or a cigarette. If we drove we would stop in S.C. overnight and drive the rest of the way. We live 12 hours away from the World, and our two "men" couldn't handle it. We'll probably take the plane after all when I think about it!

mouseketeer mom
01-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Fly fly fly!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love to fly, the airport, the plane, and getting there fast!! Flying all the way!!! By the way, I feel much safer flying then I do driving on the big highways.

BMan62
01-12-2009, 07:15 PM
No brainer for us -- 16+ hours driving or a 2 hour flight. (Not including the drive back and forth to the airport - 1 hour each way, and DME time - approx. 30 minutes each way) Flying gives us the best part of two more days in the parks!

badkitty
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Living in CA, I don't have a choice. I have to fly to WDW. (To DL, I mostly drive since I am approximately eight hours away from Anaheim.) I don't mind flying but I hate teh Atlanta airport. It never fails that my plane is late landing and I have to run from one end of the terminal, to the trains underground then to the end of another terminal. Not fun. I can understand why your mom wouldn't want to fly. If driving was an option, I would choose driving.

amd780
01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I chose car - DH and I will be driving down for the first time in September, since we've moved from CT to NC. I'm a fearful flyer, so driving will be a welcome change! :car:

tjstrike
01-14-2009, 12:10 AM
I would say flying is the best way to go if you have the extra money for airfare and possibly a rental car at the other end. For me, I'll drive the 9 hrs. and bring my room (27' TT) with me.

DDuck66
01-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Even when we lived 8+ hours away in NW Florida, we have always taken a car. I like the extra freedom and not having to depend on someone elses schedule. Besides my DW is afraid of flying. She would have to have so much valium that it would take a couple of days after landing before she was ready to hit the parks.

SurferStitch
01-14-2009, 01:19 PM
We started driving to WDW last year. We just got so sick of the hassle of flying, and all of the weight and quantity restrictions anymore.

We leave early on day one, take our time and enjoy the ride, and arrive in WDW in early afternoon of day two. It's very relaxing, and a lot of fun.

Also, if on our last day we decide we want to stay later in the day, we have no flight schedule to adhere to. We can stay until park closing if we want, and then just hit the road!

The autotrain has always interested me though....if anyone from the Philly area has done it, could you tell me how long it takes to arrive in Orlando? Thanks.

Urbss
01-14-2009, 01:46 PM
We started driving to WDW last year. We just got so sick of the hassle of flying, and all of the weight and quantity restrictions anymore.

We leave early on day one, take our time and enjoy the ride, and arrive in WDW in early afternoon of day two. It's very relaxing, and a lot of fun.

Also, if on our last day we decide we want to stay later in the day, we have no flight schedule to adhere to. We can stay until park closing if we want, and then just hit the road!

The autotrain has always interested me though....if anyone from the Philly area has done it, could you tell me how long it takes to arrive in Orlando? Thanks.

I live between Pittsburg and Philly. We drive down to Lorton VA (right below DC) and arrive around 1:30/2:00. The train boards around 3:00 and pulls out at 4:00 pm. The evening goes fast what with dinner at either 5 or 7 and then a movie at either 7 or 9. Then the train is supposed to pull into the station around 9:30 am. (although ours pulled in at 8am on our trip in September). Then you have to wait for your car to be unloaded - we waited about 30-40 minutes after getting off the train. Then you only have a 45 minute drive until you are on Disney property.

We also like having our car on property - neither my wife or myself likes to fly. So, the autotrain is a great way to travel.

Another thing - I just like to see the country. I remember my parents taking my sister and me to Disney when we were kids. If we would have flown we would not have had the chance to stop at some really neat places - plus we had the chance to learn some geography on the trip (and how to read a map.)

Sorry - flying is out for me.

dmosher
01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I wish there was another way to get to FL from here! Unfortunately we are coming from New Zealand so until they perfect the long range amphibious car, we are stuck with planes.

What we really need is a submarine! Anyone got one they want to rent to us for a few weeks in September?

No? OK then, I guess we will take the plane.. but I am NOT flying coach for 20 hours again! NEVER!
:pipes:
D

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-14-2009, 04:24 PM
We always drove to WDW, until we discovered the Auto-Train on our last trip.

I hate to fly, but the 22-hour drive was getting to be a bit much, so the auto-train is the perfect way for us!

poohbearlover15
01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
We fly everytime, Its so much easier then having to deal with gas prices and having to stay overnight somewhere. I guess it all depends on how far away you live!