PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate WDW Savings Guide 2009

vorpalswrd
01-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Has anyone ever ordered the book at
{link removed per TOS} and is it worth it? Thanks

peemagg
01-10-2009, 08:17 AM
I ordered it and found that the information given there can be found on sites like this one for free and is usually more up to date than the info given there. I wouldn't waste my time and money again personally.

mouseketeer mom
01-10-2009, 08:22 AM
This sounds like an interesting guide..I'd like to hear more about it!

iheartdisney
01-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I ordered it and found that the information given there can be found on sites like this one for free and is usually more up to date than the info given there. I wouldn't waste my time and money again personally.

If you absolutely must have the information right at your finger tips at all times then it MIGHT be worth it. But I'm with peemag...any info it offers can be found online, free and VERY up to date.

CleveRocks
01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
I tend to agree with the above. Here is my story.

I was in between my first and second trips with my kids. Prior to the first trip, I'd done absolutely exhaustive research over the course of months. I'd read all the popular guide books, I was active in about 6 different Internet discussion boards (such as INTERCOT), and I developed, if I may humbly say, an encyclopedic knowledge about everything that was relevant to me and my family and our trips.

So I saw the ad for this e-book and I saw the money back guarantee. I e-mailed them to ask about it. The author's brother contacted me and made a very nice offer. He offered to send me the link to the book and, on my honor, if I found the book to be helpful I would pay for it at that point. A very nice, honorable gesture. I took him up on it.

As soon as I had access to the book, I looked in the table of contents (the book was several hundred pages, as I recall) for a subject I knew more about than most people (except for actual Disney cast members), which was Disney's Magical Express. Well, I was very disappointed to read a lot of totally incorrect information. The book was incorrectly telling people that if they didn't fly on a certain airline then they couldn't use DME and would have to pay for their own transportation to and from the airport. Geez, here was a book purporting to save money for people, and here it was wrongly telling people that they couldn't use a free service.

I perused several other sections of the book, and I found NO information or money-saving tips that I didn't already know.

So I wrote back to the author's brother. I gave him correct info on DME, and also told him that while I thanked him for his very kind gesture, I didn't find any helpful or money-saving info in the book and thus I would not be paying for it. He wrote back and said he completely understood, and also thanked me for the DME info. He readily acknowledged that the book would be much more helpful for the Disney World novice than it would be for someone like myself. He was very cordial about the whle thing.

I checked back several days later, and they had COMPLETELY corrected the Disney's Magical Express section of the book.

So here's my opinion, and it echoes what iheartdisney already posted above ... the book is great if you want all of the information at your fingertips, complete with table of contents and index. Personally, I LOVE spending hours and hours going to far corners of the Internet searching for info and asking questions on discussion boards and stuff like that. But not everyone enjoys that. Not everyone has the time or the patience for that. For someone like that, this e-book could be a very valuable resource.

But for someone who enjoys INTERCOT and its brother and sister discussion boards out there, the book probably has very limited value. I can say for sure that the book has no absolute "insider secrets" that we can't already know from here and other sources.

So I hope this was a helpful review. I mean no disrespect to the author or her brother. He was very nice to me, and I respect anyone who can extend trust and rely on someone else's honor. This book would be good for the novice who doesn't want to search piece-meal for info, who wants everything at his/her fingertips. But knowledgable, experienced WDW visitors should keep their money in their wallets and continue doing what they enjoy, such as visiting INTERCOT and the others.

stitchaholic
01-10-2009, 09:39 AM
i used the birnbaum books,although helpful,i would have to go along with the other posters and say you can really get all the info on line with the help of intercot.:rocks: