PDA

View Full Version : After You Retired From Teaching...

mickeys_princess_mom
01-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey, any retired teachers out there? In two years I'll have 20 years in, and I really think I'll be done. Things keep changing, and though I'll surely keep working, I want to change to something less stressful. Trying to decide what to look towards....What do you do now, if you've kept working? Of course my dream job would be to work for Disney, but my family is here...

DizneyRox
01-10-2009, 09:32 AM
No desire for administration? That's where the money is!

Bethanymouse
01-10-2009, 05:43 PM
My mom is a retired teacher. She taught for 33 years and retired about 4 years ago. She loves retirement. She spends many days in the classroom as a substitute teachers. It pays ok, between 80-100 dollars and she loves working with the special ed students. She also loves the no lesson planning part. I am sure it is also a relief to be removed from the political aspect of it.

Other ideas beside subbing would be vacation planning? Ever thought of planning disney vacations for people? You may need to take a few classes, but that may be fun. I have always thought of working in a bookstore, or children's educational store. In addition, you could always try to work for a professional company that provides workshops to teachers.

I guess it depends on how much money you would need to make, if you would be willing to go for more training, or get specialized, and if you want to still work with children.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. Teachers are a treasure and deserve a wonderful retirement.

mickeys_princess_mom
01-10-2009, 07:07 PM
My mom is a retired teacher. She taught for 33 years and retired about 4 years ago. She loves retirement. She spends many days in the classroom as a substitute teachers. It pays ok, between 80-100 dollars and she loves working with the special ed students. She also loves the no lesson planning part. I am sure it is also a relief to be removed from the political aspect of it.

Other ideas beside subbing would be vacation planning? Ever thought of planning disney vacations for people? You may need to take a few classes, but that may be fun. I have always thought of working in a bookstore, or children's educational store. In addition, you could always try to work for a professional company that provides workshops to teachers.

I guess it depends on how much money you would need to make, if you would be willing to go for more training, or get specialized, and if you want to still work with children.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. Teachers are a treasure and deserve a wonderful retirement.
:hug: You are a doll. Thanks for all your sweet suggestions--I appreciate them. I actually love the ideas of being a Disney vacation planner (I do that a lot at school now...) or a wedding planner....:cloud9:

mickeys_princess_mom
01-10-2009, 07:09 PM
No desire for administration? That's where the money is!

Have thought about that, and think I would have some valid contributions, but I'd really like to get away from the politics and the stress.