PDA

View Full Version : Mama Melrose...Try it or Skip it??

mkymouse0206
01-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Here is what I am pondering :unsure:...last visit we ate at Hollywood and Vine with the Fantasmic pkg. and I really didn't like it. Will not be going back to H&V. I won't spend two TS credits on Brown Derby, so that leaves Mama Melrose if I want to get in on the Fantasmic pkg. I am really not that impressed with their menu. So you tell me...is it worth it to try MM and risk having a bad meal but get into Fantasmic with little or no wait or eat somewhere I know we will have a good meal and wait to get into Fantasmic??:confused:

faline
01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I've eaten there a few times and have enjoyed it. Personally, I prefer the dinner package for Fantasmic.

SBETigg
01-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I would take the risk. Some people love Mama Melrose. You never know. I haven't tried it. But if you really want the package, I would give it a shot.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-09-2009, 11:40 AM
That's a dilemma...we tried H&V for the Fantasmic Pkg...and it was worth it not because of the food which was okay but not great. We were there during Christmas and there was a huge line so it worked for us...we tried Mama's once and weren't impressed but we may give it another shot....when are you going? If its off season I might chance going without the Pkg.

CanadianWDWFan
01-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I had perhaps my single most dissappointing meal at Disney in Mama Melrose's. Everyone in my family had a bad meal that night, not sure if it was an off day. But how hard is it to cook a plate of pasta?:confused:

As for Brown Derby we found it to be worth the 2TS. The food was fabulous!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup: As was the atmosphere, we had a great time that night. But Fantasmic was rained out! :( Go figure. At least we had a great meal.

If I had to rate them all it would be as follows, Brown Derby would be first by a mile, H&V second and MM a very distant third.

AdventurerKim
01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
We go to Mama Melrose's every November trip for a lunch and haven't had a bad meal there. The flatbreads are great, as is the Caesar salad and calamari. We ate at Brown Derby once and did the Fantasmic package, and it was okay. We may give Brown Derby another shot in June.

prttynpnk
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
we usually do Mama's for the fantasmic package and never had a bad experience- although I will say, they need to lentghen the rotation on the musak, I think we heard the same songs twice before leaving! ;)

Polynesian Dweller
01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
We too have found Mama Melrose to be fine every time we've been there so I'd say give it a try.

KylesMom
01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Mama Melrose is on our must-do list a few times each trip. Like you, we tried H&V many years ago for the Fantasmic Dinner package and really disliked it. We switched to Mama Melrose & have been going back every year since.

In fact, DH has requested Mama Melrose for dinner on Father's Day!:mickey:

Trev&Ev Mom
01-09-2009, 03:26 PM
We've never eaten there but will give it a try on 1/22 with the Fantasmic package. Come on...even a terrible meal at Disney is better than any meal at home!!!

Grumpy's Daughter
01-09-2009, 04:42 PM
We did Mama Melroses several years ago, and really weren't impressed. It was too loud, the food wasn't really worth it. We've done the Hollywood and Vine twice, and it's better, but it depends on what foods you are looking for. Brown Derby is a little out of our price range, so we haven't done that one yet. But we did try 50's Primetime Cafe this trip- that was fun! And the pork entree was excellent! Is that one on the Fantasmic Package?

sneezyone
01-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I thought MM was ok...but we LOVE the brown derby...it's our 2nd favorite place to eat in the world...other than Les Chef de France.

Natazu
01-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Mama Melrose's (Table Service) ☺☺☻
For flatbread and dessert, Mama’s is fine. The prices are acceptable and there’s rarely a long wait. If you’re looking for a great Italian dinner, this probably isn’t the place. The menu isn’t very diverse and very little of it is fresh. The staff has admitted to me that they are more concerned with getting people fed and back out to the park than providing a true dining experience. Mama Melrose’s is a stereotypical theme park sit-down eatery.

Brian is right. Brown Derby is the only really great place at the studios.

RedSoxFan
01-09-2009, 10:23 PM
We've eaten at Mama Melrose twice --- both times we had great meals. I would go back there again. My sister and family enjoyed their meal there also.

JenniferS.
01-10-2009, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=Natazu;1808599]Mama Melrose's (Table Service) ☺☺☻
The staff has admitted to me that they are more concerned with getting people fed and back out to the park than providing a true dining experience.

That aspect we like, with having 3 small kids we like to be in and out and back on the attractions rather than wasting time eating. But, that is just us. We've eaten there twice and never felt rushed and we love the food!! It is way better than the buffet over at h&v. Just my opinion.

baileykelly
01-10-2009, 04:37 PM
i ate here with my mom in dec 2007. we liked it and would go back for the fantasmic dinner package. it was nice to eat at a sit down restaurant after having counter service for a few days. our waiter was pretty good and the appetizer with breads and spreads was great. i had chicken parm and she had the eggplant stack, both were pretty good.

Dulcee
01-11-2009, 04:22 PM
We've always used it with the Fantasmic package. Dinner has always been consistenly good and we have always enjoyed that even in the peak of the summer its quiet and fast. Fantasmic is a time consuming event to begin with so we're usually anxious to get back to the park.

If your look for a superb food experince Brown Derby gets the vote. But for good food at survivable prices go for Mama's.

Peterpanflight
01-11-2009, 06:21 PM
In my opinion i hated it. We ate there last year and i dont remember what i got but i was not impressed at all. I was very upset. That we will not do again.

AmBo
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
I've eaten there about 4 times and never had a single bad meal! We'll be eating there again in October :number1:

kemps@wdw
01-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Can't say anything bad about Mama Melrose. Good food and cozy atmosphere. Not a "must-do" for us, but enjoyable just the same.:thumbsup:

pox24
01-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Skip it. We gave it two chances a year apart.