PDA

View Full Version : Going In April But Just Not The Same

jakeybake
01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Hey all,

We are going down in from 4/15-4/22. Let me start by saying that we are loyal WDW resort guests and have never dreamed of staying at an outside resort. Well this year my in-laws bought a time share at the Marriott Royal Palms.

I know it's just a mile outside of the WDW gates but to me it's just not going to be the same not staying on property and I just can't get excited about going. Even my kids (10 & 7) aren't as excited as they usually are to go. We have stayed everywhere from the All Star Music to the Grand Floridian but have become hooked on the Beach Club and have only stayed there recently.

Does anyone have any uplifiting words they can give me for staying off site? I mean I wouldn't even do the Swan and Dolphin in the past because they weren't really "Disney".

Jay

DisneyGlutton
01-09-2009, 10:22 AM
This may seem like an empty platitude, but just be happy that you are going at all, especially since the economy is going to heck.

mouseketeer mom
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Jay,
I would feel the exact same way, I too, have no desire to stay at the Dolphin or Swan either, or anywhere off property. Just doesn't feel Disney to me. I'm sure others will come around and say you're still going, consider yourself lucky, and things to that nature...And you are. But I agree, it will feel different., chalk it up to being an "extra" trip, not the trip you would create for yourself. You will still have fun, but what may help is planning a trip of your own, the way you would like it to be. Knowing you have that one in the bag for the future might help you enjoy Aprils trip a little more.

Goes4FastPass
01-09-2009, 10:54 AM
This trip may be a good opportunity to visit other Orland attractions along with WDW.

You and your 7 and 10yr olds may find much that you like at Universal Orlando.

WDW works very hard to make their customers Disney only customers. Why do you think DME is still free?

My wife and I like returning to WDW where we feel completely comfortable with where's what and when and how to do what we did the last 5 times we there - and that's a kind of vacation - but there's a lot to be gained by new experiences also.

jakeybake
01-09-2009, 11:10 AM
This may seem like an empty platitude, but just be happy that you are going at all, especially since the economy is going to heck.

I knew it may have come across as sounding a bit spoiled and unappreciative. I don't want it to sound like I don't appreciate the opportunity, it's just that the resort is as important to my DW and I as the parks are, maybe even more now that we are a bit older.

I was extremely lucky to attend 2 conferences this year in WDW on my companies dime. The first in March at the Grand Floridian and the second a few weeks backs at the Yacht Club (week of 12/14) so I was truly blessed in '08. Both of these trips were solo and all inclusive so it was a new and wonderful experience for me, first to be able to visit alone and go at my own, break neck pace, and second to visit at Christmas which has always been a dream of mine.

Again, don't mean to come across as spoiled but something is certainly missing!

Jay

buzznwoodysmom
01-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I can completely understand how you feel. My family has no desires to stay outside of WDW for our trips. If staying on site is that important to you do you think you can stay onsite and just meet up with your in-laws in the parks. If this is something you can't or won't change then just try to accept it and have a good time with it. I think your kids will enjoy it as much as you and your wife let on that you are enjoying it even though you aren't staying where you'd like. I know my kids tend to feed off of my own feelings, as most kids do with their parents. And for the record, I don't think you sound spoiled or unappreciatieve at all. I hope you still have a magical vacation.

SBETigg
01-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I would feel much the same. But try to think of it as a resort vacation with some Disney time thrown in. You might really enjoy the actual resort, amenities, etc, and then getting park time in is a bonus. You've been to WDW and you'll always enjoy it. This time, enjoy being with family and having a chance to get away. Plan a future trip with you and your family at your favorite resort, and don't tell the in-laws ( or tell them you're going somewhere else) and then you can enjoy the full experience your way.

But for now... I know it's hard. But there's always something to like about vacation, right? You're getting away from work and stress, if not having the perfect Disney trip.

vicster
01-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm a Disney diehard also but I'd give anything to get out of this cold weather right now! I do understand how you feel as I always say I would never stay offgrounds but think of warm weather...

jakeybake
01-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Already told my DW that we will be hitting the parks first thing in the morning and staying straight through unti the evening at which time we will hit either the Cape May or Park Fare for dinner. That way it will at least feel like we are staying at the BC of GF!!

I have a feeling that plan just won't fly!!

Jay

Goes4FastPass
01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Already told my DW that we will be hitting the parks first thing in the morning and staying straight through unti the evening at which time we will hit either the Cape May or Park Fare for dinner. That way it will at least feel like we are staying at the BC of GF!!

I have a feeling that plan just won't fly!!

Jay

This sounds like swimming against the current all week. I'd hate to be your Royal Palms hosts.

crazeedizneefinatic
01-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I hope this does not come across as criticizing because believe me I am not doing that. I can almost see your point, somewhat. I think the kids feel the way they do because Dad is mopeing around. Children should be grateful (and adults) that they can visit Disney. The past few visits my son thanks me for our yearly vacations, he is 8 and knows what we need to do to get there. We save toghter we plan together. I could not imagine him not wanting to go because of accomodations? Seems like grandma and grandpa are not being appreciated for trying to do a kind thing and have a "family" vacation.

It seems like the inlaws want to spend family time together, which you should be happy they want to do. My husband's side doesn't even bother with our son. Believe me we are park commando's when we are there, but this time just appreciate and soak in a different kind of experience. Be open minded and for heavens sake talk with the kids, they are the luckiest kids on earth spending a week with family and at Disney none the less. Have a positive attitude and they will follow.

WDWFanatic
01-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Jerry, feel free to whine all you want to us, since most others wouldn't understand. I'm guessing you are saving your complaints for us and getting them excited for the trip.

Maybe you can go onto the hotel website and check out all the cool things they have, and maybe work will send you back to property soon :D.

jakeybake
01-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I hope this does not come across as criticizing because believe me I am not doing that. I can almost see your point, somewhat. I think the kids feel the way they do because Dad is mopeing around. Children should be grateful (and adults) that they can visit Disney. The past few visits my son thanks me for our yearly vacations, he is 8 and knows what we need to do to get there. We save toghter we plan together. I could not imagine him not wanting to go because of accomodations? Seems like grandma and grandpa are not being appreciated for trying to do a kind thing and have a "family" vacation.

It seems like the inlaws want to spend family time together, which you should be happy they want to do. My husband's side doesn't even bother with our son. Believe me we are park commando's when we are there, but this time just appreciate and soak in a different kind of experience. Be open minded and for heavens sake talk with the kids, they are the luckiest kids on earth spending a week with family and at Disney none the less. Have a positive attitude and they will follow.

My kids are very excited to go, really, really excited. It's just a different feeling all around. And I would never bring up anything negative about where we are staying around my kids. Those discussions are purely between my wife and I when our kids are asleep or aren't around.

I am truly blessed that I have inlaws who care about my family and I enough to actually purchase a time share for us to all spend time together in, knowing our love for all things WDW. I know that more than anyone, I am just not as excited as I usually am given that we aren't staying at a WDW resort. Neither my children or my inlaws are aware of it though, and I will continue to put on a happy face for all involved regardless of my personal feelings.

Jay

betteratmk
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
We will face the same problem if all our children and their spouses and children come. There will be 21 of us. We have looked into the All-Star vacation homes to try to fit everyone in. it will def. be a different vacation than DH, and DS are now used to. But we will try new things and have the space for the babies to nap and parents to recuperate at their families timetable.

magicofdisney
01-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I understand exactly how you feel. I like to go to Disney and I like to go often. We only live 2 hrs away so I can go often. But because of that I must always stay at a value. If that option were removed, I just wouldn't want to go. I realize some ppl don't understand this line of thought. Maybe you can put aside the money you're saving on a room this trip for a great, deluxe room next time. I know you'll have fun but I understand the difference in atmosphere you'll experience. :mickey:

PetefromRI
01-10-2009, 03:04 PM
We love staying onsite as you can see by my signature,but a few years ago we went to the Marriott Grande Vista with my brother and his family.The plan was 4 days with them and then 4 days at the CBR.By the 3rd night we were invited to stay with them for the rest of the week if we wished since we all get along so well.My wife and I had a meeting and decided within minutes to stay at the Grande Vista.We thought that the Marriott resorts were so nice and we found out that there was a small town near Disney called Orlando that has other fun themeparks and great places to eat.
I would do it all again in a heartbeat if the opportunity arises again.We had an awesome trip with great company and we managed to get back to Disney on our next trips.You'll have fun and you might even find that it's not that bad of an option,yes,we do love Disney resorts,but it's still a great trip even if you don't stay on grounds.

thatkindofday
01-10-2009, 03:48 PM
This trip may be a good opportunity to visit other Orland attractions along with WDW.

there's other things in Orlando than Disney World??:confused:
Seriously, the last two times that my whole family (about 30 people ranging from 4 yrs old to 80 yrs old) has gone together, we've stayed off property because it was sooo much cheaper. It is different from being on property and you don't get some of the perks as a resort guest, but it's still Disney World and you'll still have fun. And you can always visit the resorts and go resort hopping.

laward32
01-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I understand completely. I really wouldn't want to stay offsite, it wouldn't feel the same. I will say I love Disney so much I will go however I possibly can.
I hope you can get excited by the time it gets here. I know you will still have a great time with your family, but I understand it won't "feel" the same.:mickey:

jakeybake
01-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Call me crazy but I feel like I am going to feel like a second class citizen when I'm there. Crazy I know.

Jay

andreallybadeggs
01-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Nothing wrong with feeling a little disappointment that you won't have the same experience you've enjoyed so much in the past but I think you may find that as you're "faking it" for the kids you actually end up enjoying this a lot more than you anticipate. We've stayed at every level of Disney lodging and several off site locations yet still always had a great time. I agree with others that perhaps you should be very intentional about making this a different type of vacation. Do something non-Disney fun this time that you've never considered before: an airboat ride, day at another park, an athletic event, beach time, Kennedy Space Center, activities at the Marriott, an off-site dinner theatre, outlet shopping...whatever appeals to you and your family. In our family we practically bleed Mickey but found that something as simple as a good pizza and playing cards around the condo table can truly make for a wonderful family memory. As much as you love it, I'm sure there are other BC stays in your future. This isn't THAT vacation so rather than feeling like a 2nd class Disney citizen, make it first class Orlando all the way. To paraphrase an old Texas tourism commercial, "It's like a whole 'nother country" :thumbsup:

Hammer
01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Call me crazy but I feel like I am going to feel like a second class citizen when I'm there. Crazy I know.

Jay

Then why are you going? You may think you are pulling the wool over your kids' eyes, but I'm sure they sense your displeasure. You are going into it with a negative attitude and unless you change that, you are destined to have a bad time.

Let me puts this another way. My parents are not fans of Disney (specifically my father). My sister and I went multiple times as children because my parents felt it was their duty to take us. They always had fun, but prefer all-inclusive type vacations like cruises (but not DCL as they like to have the option to spend an evening gambling on the ship). I bought DVC (because of the points design works for how I am able to vacation) and have invited my parents a couple of times. On these vacations, I tailor it to their likes (resort dining and a good pool with a full bar) and I use EMH for my park time (if I have an AP). If not, I just enjoy the opportunity to spend time with them and give them something back.

So, I say use this vacation to try other things and go into these new experiences with an open mind rather than see it as not a WDW vacation,