PDA

View Full Version : Crowds right now?

samanthastanky
01-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Hello! I am going for a week at Pop Century starting on January 17. I've been to WDW several times during January before, and it's always empty. I wanted to see if anyone could tell me how the crowds have been so far this month. Curious because of all the crazy deals they've been running if it will be busier than I am used to in January.

Thanks! And looking forward to riding Space Mountain one last time as is! :mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-09-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm afraid that it will be relatively busy when I'm going. DH and I arrive on the 25th and are there until Superbowl Sunday the 1st.

stephntampa
01-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I was there for the day on January 5th @MK, and it was crowded, but getting there early and uitlizing fastpass we accomplished all we wanted to do. Have fun!:mickey:

Trev&Ev Mom
01-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm afraid that it will be relatively busy when I'm going. DH and I arrive on the 25th and are there until Superbowl Sunday the 1st.

I'm curious but also afraid. We leave on the 21st and I just hope there's not a ton of people there. We've gone many times in January and its been really great...not a lot of people. I can only hope...

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm curious but also afraid. We leave on the 21st and I just hope there's not a ton of people there. We've gone many times in January and its been really great...not a lot of people. I can only hope... I figure since the last time I went it was during the week of Christmas with our ENTIRE family of 6 and this time it is the last week of January with just my DH and I....I won't care about crowds.

jonah'smom
01-09-2009, 03:31 PM
we have been here since the 4th. It hasn't been too bad but has been more crowded than I expected. Last night seemed to be the worst yet at Hollywood studios. At 10 minutes till closing the wait for TSM was 110 minutes and tower was 70. That was also with the Fantasmic theater filled to capacity!!!!! It was NUTZ!!!!! Haven't been to a park yet today but we're headed to Epcot in a bit. They have evening EMH tonight. I'm sure with most of the marathon crowds coming in it will be NUTZ too, but I'm hoping they will all be turning in early tonight. :fingers:

teambricker04
01-09-2009, 09:08 PM
DS and I went to Epcot today... it wasn't as bad as I had expected. Lots of people leaving at about dinner time and not too many going in for EMH. No waits this afternoon for Nemo, JITYI, SE and 40 for TT. We didn't check anything else out as it was just a quick trip today. There are a TON of marathoners, but I suspect it will thin out after the weekend.

BiloxiMom
01-09-2009, 10:36 PM
The Touring Plans web site has the last week 1/24-1/31 with most days of 5s. They don't ever go much below a 4 (generally.) They do have Friday, 1/30 as a 7 and 1/31 as an 8. I'm optimistic that it won't be too bad. Hopefully, I'll have seen everything by Friday and the increase in crowds won't make me grumpy.

csdavis
01-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I was there for the day on January 5th @MK, and it was crowded, but getting there early and uitlizing fastpass we accomplished all we wanted to do. Have fun!:mickey:

We were there also that day. It seemed to clear out a good bit by early afternoon. A CM at Epcot said it was the holiday stragglers trying to get in one last park before their flight home- not sure about that though!

disneyjoe
01-11-2009, 02:18 PM

I'm curious how you know that this week will be busy? We are also going to be there at the same time and were curious what it was going to be like. Not used to big crowds in January so I thought this would be a less busy time to go!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-11-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm curious how you know that this week will be busy? We are also going to be there at the same time and were curious what it was going to be like. Not used to big crowds in January so I thought this would be a less busy time to go!

I don't know that it will be busy, but assume it will be since the Super Bowl is in Tampa which is less than 2 hours away. I figure that Friday/Saturday will be all the people that are in town for the game doing some Disney time and that Sunday evening and Monday/Tuesday will be those doing Disney before they head home from the game.

ThanxForNoticin
01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
we have been here since the 4th. It hasn't been too bad but has been more crowded than I expected. Last night seemed to be the worst yet at Hollywood studios.

We were also there last week, and I was also very surprised by the crowds. It wasn't as busy as peak times, but it was far busier than we've experienced in Januarys in the past. It had to be a combination of some people extending their holiday trip, people getting there early for the marathon weekend, and probably most likely - the Disney promotion of 3 nights free is working to bring people in. If the promotion is really the reason, then it might be busier all through January. I guess time will tell.

CaptSmee
01-12-2009, 11:24 PM

I wouldn't count on it being too busy. It is after all the slowest time of the year. Sure the Superbowl might pick up a few extra visitors to the area, and the current promotion is probably bringing some people in but again...it's the slowest time of the year.

BiloxiMom
01-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Oh I really, really hope you're right. DH cannot stand crowds and we always go in Jan. If it's busy in 2 weeks my future trips may be in trouble!

dixiepixie
01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
We are headed down Friday and I too am curious about the crowds. It seems like they are higher than usual for this time of year. Hopefully the holiday crowd and marithoners will be gone by the time we get there. Anyone there now that can offer some insight?

Meteora
01-13-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm here now, and while the crowds aren't awful, they're worse than I was expecting for this time of year. Most popular rides are still 40 minutes and up unless you go first thing in the morning, but it's manageable. The exception was yesterday at DHS--huge, huge crowds. I've been during Christmas week and seen lighter crowds. Fantasmic was standing room only by 6:15 for 7 o'clock show. It was practically impossible to walk.

jaredkari
01-14-2009, 08:17 AM
We just got back and I would agree with other post. The crowds are not awful but you can count on having pretty good wait times by the afternoon. We got up early everyday and hit the parks. In the first 2 hours we had a good time but after two hours it was too busy to get a lot done. I honestly don't really believe there is a down time at WDW. We talked to a former CM while waiting in line for TSM and he said this is about as light as it gets. We still had a good time though :mickey:

BiloxiMom
01-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Anyone still there and care to comment on the crowds? Please say they're dwindling....:blush:

Rhetoric2000
01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Was in Animal Kingdom today and was alarmed how busy it was. Nothing truly horrific you understand, and it would be possible to get everything in, but the place had far FAR more people in than one would normally expect well into January.

BiloxiMom
01-14-2009, 09:13 PM
OH NO! I wonder what that means for the end of next week... Could you possibly take all those people home with you?:D