PDA

View Full Version : Value or Moderate??

Belster
01-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Hello,
We are thinking about booking another trip to the world this year. I have stayed at delux and at value, both are great to me. We have recently been staying at value because of the cost. I am thinking about booking moderate for next time, the value rooms are just so small. We have my husband, myself, DD11, DS4 DS10months. Are the rooms that much more roomy? If not I cannot see why I would pay more money. Any recomendations as to where might have the most space and if it is worth it???

Thanks!

g8rgirl29
01-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I personally love the villas, especially with small children. The washer and dryer and having a full kitchen was such a help!! You don't need to pack nearly as much. Breakfast is a breeze. The added space is wonderful!! If the cost seems high you can look into renting DVC points. We did this last year and saved quite a bit.

WDWFanatic
01-07-2009, 09:11 PM
We found the room part itself not much of difference in size, but the bathroom was a lot easier to use in the Mods.

We've stayed in both and are doing value on our next trip to save money, and because we like the food court area better.

Either way I'm sure you'll be happy.

KatMark
01-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Truthfully, we don't care for the values (our kids didn't like it the one time we stayed there either). We just find them too noisy and too crowded...we felt like people were on top of us all the time. That being said, a lot of people like them and choose them for the cost and because they only sleep there. DH and I prefer a moderate (deluxes are out of our pocketbook with two boys in college) because it is more spaced out and it is very quiet and peaceful (even walking into some of the deluxes it is very loud). We like the CSR because it is as close to a deluxe as you can get without paying the price. And we've had 7 perfect stays there and have booked stays 8 and 9 for this year.

badkitty
01-08-2009, 01:33 AM
The rooms are slightly bigger at the mods (when you open the door, the bed -double- isn't as close). The open floor space will be smaller at CSR with the new queen-size beds but the bigger beds will be nice. As WDWFanatic stated, the bathroom and sink area are the big plus.

kakn7294
01-08-2009, 08:37 AM
We do find that the moderates have more room than the values, particularly at CBR where the rooms are as large as at WL. It's much nicer having that bit of extra space plus we really like having the fridge and coffeemaker. Perhaps the Family Suites at All Star Music would meet your needs.

IloveDisney71
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I've stayed at mostly value resorts, but also once at the Poly and once at CBR. I found the room at CBR to be somewhat bigger than the values. We don't spend very much time in our rooms so it didn't really make that big of a difference to us. We did like the atmosphere of CBR - it was more relaxed and quiet.

DDuck66
01-08-2009, 01:04 PM
It really depends on your needs and wants. If you spend more time at the resort, I would go with the moderate. If you hit the parks until you drop, then the Values are more bang for the buck. Since I moved close by and go monthly, we actually spend more time at the resorts as we do not feel that we have to stay at the parks from open to close.

LuvAllPrincesses
01-08-2009, 01:22 PM
We are in the same boat as you, Belster, 2 adults and DS15, DD7, and DS2 - after just getting off a 10 night cruise, even in a junior suite, we all agree that more space is very important! When I got my 40% off pin the other day, we decided to book a cabin at Ft. Wilderness for Nov/Dec. We've stayed at values (1 room and 2 connecting rooms) and moderates. I have contacted numerous people who love the cabins. They used to be in the deluxe category, but were recently moved to moderate, so with our 40% offer we are able to get a cabin for 7 nights, and 8 day park hoppers for 4 paying guests (free baby) at right about $2000. I am not a fan of camping at all, but everything else it has to offer sounds unbeatable. Just a thought!

thrillme
01-08-2009, 11:24 PM
I usually stay at the Values and I love them. I tried a moderate and it was very nice too (CSR) but it was "too big". Not the room but the resort.

I did like where my friends stayed...Carribean Beach. I hear the French Quarter is supposed to be nice too.

I really didn't notice the room to be that much bigger than the "Value" but...they had QUEEN beds over the annoying doubles (do husbands and wives REALLY share a "double" bed in REAL life???)...I'm certian the queen bed has taken up the "extra" space in the room....the pool at the moderate had a slide and they also had a "hot tub".

If you can afford it...I'd stay at CBR (not CSR). I think they got queen beds now too.

Hammer
01-08-2009, 11:46 PM
If you can afford it...I'd stay at CBR (not CSR). I think they got queen beds now too.

Actually, only Coronado Springs received the queen bed upgrade (which was done primarily for competing with other convention resorts).

I do think maybe Caribbean Beach Resort would be a good choice for you as the extra square footage above the other moderate resorts would give you more room for the baby's pack and play crib.

mdhiggin
01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Enjoy the values while you can. When your baby turns 3, you'll have to have two rooms at many resorts. Save up some money towards those expected costs. CBR and CSR only allow four to a room also, except under 3. Save POR for when baby is older. They allow five to a room. Some of the deluxes only allow four too. You might want to check this out before you have to get two rooms at the pricier places. I think AKL and WL are 4 only.

CleveRocks
01-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Here's a general way to compare the Moderates and Values:

Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
Value rooms don't.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
Value rooms don't (or you'll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR's have 1).
Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
Values have neither.

Moderates provide pool towels at the main pool.
Values do not provide any pool towels … you must use your room towels.

Moderates' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Values' bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
Values have more "hardscaping."

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ ... food court only).
Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
Values don't have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
At Values, it's $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

POFQ and POR have boat service to Downtown Disney.
CSR has full room service, and a gym.
Values are much more "kid-themed" and whimsical-looking than the Moderates.

Goes4FastPass
01-09-2009, 10:51 PM
We stayed at a value recently and they had towels at the pool (just like our last POFQ stay) and organized actvites all day long.

When you consider the cost difference between a value and a mod remember to multiply that $50, $60 whatever times the number of nights your staying.

We've got lots of sinks at home, we find having one at a value resort no great hardship.

I used to be a no value resort snob. The biggest difference between value and moderate is the marketing people tell you you're cooler if you stay at a moderate.

CleveRocks
01-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I feel badly for anyone who feels cooler because they stay at a Moderate resort than a Value resort.

Brooklynos
01-09-2009, 11:49 PM
We have stayed at a value, two different Moderates and a deluxe. Pop was great and worked well for us but it was off season and not too crowded, but no complaints on the room. AKL was the best, but there is a premium for the amenities that we can't afford every trip. Our fave resort is POFQ. It's smaller than the rest of the moderates and it has a boat to DTD. My husband and I aren't park commandos and spend a decent amount of time at our resort. To us, a moderate is a must because we need the hot tub after most the day in the park (I have two bad knees that really hurt after walking that much). I also think that your trip will be what you make of it. You'll have a great time either way, it'll just be a little roomier if you stay at a moderate. :mickey:

kathiep
01-10-2009, 11:31 AM
We find the atmosphere of the moderates to be a lot more relaxing. It's never felt as crazy or crowded at a moderate. But maybe that's just the timing of our trips.