PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers Hat at DHS

chrisb26
01-07-2009, 11:51 AM
When I was at DHS the other day they had just put up a big wall half way around the hat. The pin store was still there but the entire front part was blocked off and they had signs up saying they are preparing for a future production or something like that. Does anybody know what they are doing back there? It looked like they had some construction equimpment set up back there but I have no idea what they would be doing.

Figment!
01-07-2009, 12:06 PM
The Sorcerer Hat is undergoing a cosmetic refurbishment.

Current work appears to be just re-painting.

2Epcot
01-07-2009, 12:09 PM

No chance Disney is using invisible paint?

Marker
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM

I hope not!! :smickey:

Stu29573
01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Kill....the...hat....Kill....the...hat...Kill...th e...hat....:thedolls:

JPL
01-07-2009, 01:22 PM
In order ot remove the hat they would have to change the Facade of the GMR since the reason the Hat was put into place was to block it since they no longer have rights to use the image for promotioanl purposes.

Stu29573
01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
In order ot remove the hat they would have to change the Facade of the GMR since the reason the Hat was put into place was to block it since they no longer have rights to use the image for promotioanl purposes.

Fine don't use it for promotional purposes. Just move the hat elsewhere and give us a well themed street again!

Actually, as Werner Weiss over at Yesterland points out, this probably isn't the case:

"The Internet legend doesn’t make much sense when you think about it. Guests can still see and photograph the Disney version of the Chinese Theatre—just not from as many angles as previously. To believe the legend, you would have to accept that Disney is stuck with a contract that allowed them to build a replica of the façade of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in 1989, but, if the theater were sold, would only allow guests to see it if they were looking from an angle or standing very close in front of it. "

His take is that the suits simply decided the hat was a better icon than the tower (which it is...in a different place).

GrumpyFan
01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Actually, as Werner Weiss over at Yesterland points out, this probably isn't the case:

"The Internet legend doesn’t make much sense when you think about it. Guests can still see and photograph the Disney version of the Chinese Theatre—just not from as many angles as previously. To believe the legend, you would have to accept that Disney is stuck with a contract that allowed them to build a replica of the façade of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in 1989, but, if the theater were sold, would only allow guests to see it if they were looking from an angle or standing very close in front of it. "

His take is that the suits simply decided the hat was a better icon than the tower (which it is...in a different place).

I have to agree with this. I like the hat as an icon, just not where they decided to put it.

Also, I'm no lawyer, but even if they weren't legally allowed to use Mann's Chinese Theatre for "promotional purposes", that wouldn't necessarily mean they have to cover it up. In all likelihood, it would just mean Disney themselves couldn't use it in their print, internet, TV and other advertising media.

Ian
01-07-2009, 02:36 PM
That legal baloney makes no sense. MGM doesn't even own Mann's Chinese Theater?? Why would the dissolution of that contract with MGM affect Disney's useage of the theater image??

I honestly have no idea what prompted them to build that hat monstrosity, but the only thing that would satisfy me is if they were using those construction walls to hide the rigging of the dynamite.

I HATE that stupid thing!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Also, the concept of the Chinese Theater dates back to before Coney Island. It was an exhibit at early World's Fair and Disney could just call it the Chinese Theater. Just because it looks like the Mann's Chinese Theater, doesn't mean it is.

cindchan
01-07-2009, 09:05 PM

Hear hear!!

I was hoping that they were tearing it down. I can't stand that thing! I can get one decent shot of the theatre! And it takes away from the "hollywood set" image they're trying to have there.

Little Round Bale
01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
I personally like the hat. But I would not be oppossed to them relocating it but not too far.

Yes I agree it is not the right theme but I like it...:blush:

KevMcNJ
01-08-2009, 10:34 PM
last January was my first visit in 15 years.

I saw that stooopid hat and thoguht what the **** is that?

Just ruins the whole scene

chrisb26
01-11-2009, 12:10 AM

Thanks, I wasn't sure what it was considering it was only covering half the hat. I was there Sunday and it was normal then walked in Monday to see a giant blue wall around half of the hat with stuff back there but I believe it was just lifts and such that they would use to repaint.

Thanks for the fast response!

cgriff
01-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm sure they are installing a huge Sorcerer Mickey beneath (and at the same scale as) the hat, and every 15/20 minutes Mickey will rise up and strike a pose from "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" scene of Fantasia... And then retract back down into the ground, leaving just the hat... Right?

cindchan
01-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm sure they are installing a huge Sorcerer Mickey beneath (and at the same scale as) the hat, and every 15/20 minutes Mickey will rise up and strike a pose from "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" scene of Fantasia... And then retract back down into the ground, leaving just the hat... Right?

Oh, I'd pay extra to see that! :rotfl:

JPL
01-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Just because it looks like the Mann's Chinese Theater, doesn't mean it is.

It's was built using the original plans almost an exact replica. It's an Icon

That legal baloney makes no sense. MGM doesn't even own Mann's Chinese Theater?? Why would the dissolution of that contract with MGM affect Disney's useage of the theater image??

It has nothing to do with MGM it's the new company that purchased the theater and they wanted too much money to renew the agreement for Disney to use it in promotional material and they wanted Money whenever Disney showed it in a TV special. It is even absent from the artwork they sell in the parks. The one artist that draws all the park scenes is not allowed to add it in I personally asked him and the reason he gave was legal reason with the licensing agreement.

Marceline
01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I honestly have no idea what prompted them to build that hat monstrosity, but the only thing that would satisfy me is if they were using those construction walls to hide the rigging of the dynamite.

I am just glad I am not alone in my disdain for that weenie Hat. I love Sorcerer's Apprentice as much as the next Disneyphile but I miss the way it used to look without it.

We were watchin' old home movies of our 93' trip and MGM looked so much cleaner, tighter, well themed...it made so much more sense without that thing. :confused:

Here's to hoping that the next company that owns Mann's won't try to twist Disney's arm about it.

Tinkerbell19
01-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Another hat hater here!! :down:

My favorite thing about DHS is feeling like you are in old hollywood or on a hollywood set and seeing the theater when you first walk in made you feel that way. Now you have a dumb, gigantic hat in the way :shake:! I almost would bet Walt would've been against that idea!

Don't get me started on losing residental street either!! :cry:

luvDaMouse
01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
:confused:The first time I was at MGM was in 2004 and the hat was there.I had no idea it was put there later, I cant imagine it without it? Does anyone have any pictures pre hat??

MegPeg85
01-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Another hat hater here!! :down:

My favorite thing about DHS is feeling like you are in old hollywood or on a hollywood set and seeing the theater when you first walk in made you feel that way. Now you have a dumb, gigantic hat in the way :shake:! I almost would bet Walt would've been against that idea!

Don't get me started on losing residental street either!! :cry:
COMPLETELY agree!! I miss the old Hollywood feel you are supposed to get at MGM (can never call it DHS :mickey:). The hat just looks like an afterthought. I am crossing my fingers that it is moved somewhere else....but I can understand why there may be a licensing problem.

Residential street! Tragic! When I work at the Backlot Tour I am CONSTANTLY getting questions about residential street. People remember that more than anything!

cindchan
01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Residential street! Tragic! When I work at the Backlot Tour I am CONSTANTLY getting questions about residential street. People remember that more than anything!

I loved the Residential Street! It was great to go through! I was saddened to learn that it was gone. Even though the car show is really cool to watch, I miss the old street.

Tinkerbell19
01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I loved the Residential Street! It was great to go through! I was saddened to learn that it was gone. Even though the car show is really cool to watch, I miss the old street.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who misses that :grouphug:! Even though the houses were fake I always wanted to live there when I was a kid. Have WDW literally be your backyard! It's hard to take the backlot tour because I miss it so much :sad:. Thank goodness for memories:mickey: !

grumpydude
02-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Save the hat::)

jetsdc
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Does anyone have any pictures pre hat??

Assuming we're allowed to link to google - if not I apologize...

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=disney-mgm+studios+1980s+photos&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddisney-mgm%2Bstudios%2B1980s%2Bphotos%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den% 26sa%3DX&imgurl=af4f746d05bed75b

Tink#64
02-04-2009, 11:50 PM
WOW! Thanks jetsdc! I don't know that I've ever seen a street shot like that minus the hat! That was so cool! Now I understand all the disdain for the hat!

When we first visited in 2002, the hat was there, I can't imagine it without the hat! I love the hat! But, seeing how the streetscape looked pre-hat, I wouldn't mind if the hat were moved to another location! But, I can't imagine that happening. Hmm....

Along the lines tho of the added hand & wand to SSE! Which again were up for our 1st trip, and I was so sad when I learned that they were being removed! I thought SSE would look naked, but seeing it last year, WOW! It's gorgeous! So I guess never say never! Maybe, just maybe! :fingers:

Mackflava99
02-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Wow that picture is great thanks- it does look better

Stickey
02-05-2009, 12:56 PM
The Chinese Theater is mediocre at best.
The Sorcerer's Hat is a true Disney icon. :smickey:
A slightly different location for the Hat would have been better.

Mousemates
02-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I must admit that I like the hat....as for it making the park seem less "Hollywoodish," that really isn't such a bad thing. We visited the real thing a couple years ago and it was pretty disappointing (with the combination of vendors, street performers, hucksters, panhandlers, and other nefarious types roaming about...the area was also very dirty). We much prefer the sanitized disney version...hat included. :thumbsup::smickey:

AXOAlum
02-05-2009, 05:20 PM

:ditto:

:haha: love it!!

Tinkerbell19
02-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I must admit that I like the hat....as for it making the park seem less "Hollywoodish," that really isn't such a bad thing. We visited the real thing a couple years ago and it was pretty disappointing (with the combination of vendors, street performers, hucksters, panhandlers, and other nefarious types roaming about...the area was also very dirty). We much prefer the sanitized disney version...hat included. :thumbsup::smickey:

I understand how the "real" hollywood isn't anything like Disney. DIsney didn't want it to be like the "real" Hollywood. It's the fantasy of the old hollywood settings in the 40's and 50's. If you watch old movies or even television shows (for example: I Love Lucy :thumbsup:) they make out old Hollywood to be glamorous and exciting :cool:. (Of course the real thing isn't) So Disney took the old hollywood feel and made it to be that magical place they make it seem in the movies and television. I don't remember anything about a gigantic hat being a part of that :shake:! Don't get me wrong, I love the Hat:mickey: ...just not where they have it. Takes away the cool feeling. To me anyway!
:mickey3:

Goofster
02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Assuming the theater holds a copyright on its design and that the dispute with Disney is true, the copyright will probably expire around 2020 (the theater was built in 1927). The copyright would only be good for about 95 years from creation. Maybe Disney is holding out until that time period and will then tear the hat down. Just speculation on my part though. :secret:

Tink#64
02-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Goofster - That's a good one! :goofy: Goofy - but good! :thumbsup:

Crow
02-11-2009, 12:59 AM
someone had said the hat wasnt supposed to be there.........if it had been in another spot that wasnt so bad I wouldnt have minded...but the blockage of the GMR doesnt cut it

RocknRoller94
03-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Fine don't use it for promotional purposes. Just move the hat elsewhere and give us a well themed street again!

I don't know. The tower's kinda cool.

Sir Goofsalot
03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
They only put the hat there for photographs. Since Disney is the most photographed place worldwide. So they put it there, so when people come in they see that first and start taking pictures. And if people dont have cameras they buy it. I love disney, its just to obvisous.

Polynesian Dweller
03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Assuming the theater holds a copyright on its design and that the dispute with Disney is true, the copyright will probably expire around 2020 (the theater was built in 1927). The copyright would only be good for about 95 years from creation. Maybe Disney is holding out until that time period and will then tear the hat down. Just speculation on my part though. :secret:

Actually, it is not covered under copyright law but trademark law. Trademark covers icons, like the Coke script, the Pepsi ball, the name Sony and so on. Among the many aspects of trademark are that the registered trademark owner maintains ownership of the trademark as long as they have used it in a 5 year period. Unlike copyright it can, therefor, be trademarked forever as long as the owner activley uses it.