PDA

View Full Version : Q re: points at multiple resorts...

Dsnygirl
01-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi all...

I was reading another thread, and a question came up -- if we were to buy 230 points at OKW and then in the future, wanted to buy more but couldn't so had to buy elsewhere -- or chose to buy elsewhere, maybe another 100 points -- am I right in realizing that we couldn't use all 330 points in one place on one trip, but would have to break it up b/w resorts??

We are hoping to buy enough for a 10-day trip every year, although we may bank a year for a cruise or something like that... but we'd like to add on so that we can get a larger place for a reunion someday, or to travel with our children when they're older and have families... so to do that, would I need to keep all my points at one resort? Or could you combine the points from the two contracts into one stay at one resort?

Thanks for the clarification... we newbies have a lot of questions... :blush:

DizneyRox
01-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Yes, you CAN use them all in one place, technically.

What I meant is that, you can book the 230 points at OKW at the 11 month window, but won't be able to book the other 100 points at OKW until the 7 month window. At 7 months, it's very possible that there are no longer the accomodations you want available at OKW.

Points maintain their home resort in terms of the booking window. If you had two seperate contracts, you could transfer then into one and use them all at once, but the points maintain their home resort.

If you had one contract with multiple home resorts, you can use them for one stay, multiple resorts, etc, but the booking window stays with the points.

Here are your options, and I may have missed a few:

1. Sell your existing contract and buy a 330 point contract at OKW (if you like OKW) or some other resorts you want to stay at.
2. Book 230 points at OKW, and 100 points at your new home resort. Waitlist for the rooms you need at OKW and hope it comes through, if it does, cancel that OKW stay and use the points for the waitlist. Hopefully you have enough points to cover OKW, and understand that if OKW costs less points, you may have missed your booking window to "save" those extra points.
3. Book the 230 at OKW and HOPE at 7 months you can book the remaining stay at OKW. Bank anything left over.
4. Book 230 at OKW and Book 100 at you other resorts and just transfer when you need to.
5. Book your 230 and look at renting the points you need from an OKW member who's not interested in using them BEFORE The 7 month window opens for the rest of the world.

Guapo
01-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Or, you could not use the 100 points one year, and bank them for the next year.

Then, when you get next year's allotment of 230+100 points, PLUS the 100 that you banked, you've got 430 points to use.

If you need more points for a larger villa, either borrow from the year after that, or bank more than the 100.

(This is assuming that the use-years for the 2 contracts start on the same month. If not, then some additional point juggling might be needed.)