PDA

View Full Version : how do you rent a rental car???

scootch713
01-06-2009, 02:28 PM
ok, sounds stupid... I am considering doing ME to a value resort for a few days, then will need a rental car for a couple days to do Sea World and get to a cruise..... how the heck do I get the rental car on my check out day from say All Star Movies??? tks.

faline
01-06-2009, 02:48 PM
There are car rental agencies on site at Disney World. National and Alamo are both on site. Both, I believe are located at the Dolphin, while one operates from the car care center. I forget who is where.

If you rent from the car care center, they will pick you up at your resort and transport you to the car care center to pick up your car.

I understand there may be other rental agencies located at hotels in the Downtown Disney area who may also offer pickup service.

Guapo
01-06-2009, 04:52 PM
You might also want to do some price shopping, and consider renting a car from the airport on the day you arrive, skipping the ME experience altogether. You may be surprised at what you find.

I did this a few trips ago, and I found that it costs less if you do not use one of the on-property rental companies. You pay a bit extra for the on-site conveniences mentioned above. Even though you’ll have the car for a few more days, you may end up paying less out of pocket. Better to pay less, and have the car for more days, than to pay more for fewer days, just to get a “free” ride on the ME.

If that is the case, (and if you are going to need a rental car anyway), then you just got yourself a better deal.

CleveRocks
01-06-2009, 05:27 PM
ok, sounds stupid... I am considering doing ME to a value resort for a few days, then will need a rental car for a couple days to do Sea World and get to a cruise..... how the heck do I get the rental car on my check out day from say All Star Movies??? tks.It would probably be more trouble than it's worth, but here's an option. You can reserve a DME ride back to the airport during any day of your stay ... it doesn't have to be on your last day. You can go to the airport yourself via DME bus and pick up a rental car there and then drive back to the resort.

Like I said, it's probably inefficient to do it this way, but it is something you can do if you want.

WDWFanatic
01-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but is it cheaper to rent from the airport than onsite w/the same agency?

Are the fee's and taxes higher on site than at the airport?

Beast_fanatic
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but is it cheaper to rent from the airport than onsite w/the same agency?

Are the fee's and taxes higher on site than at the airport?

There's not an entirely simple answer to that because rates vary wildly, but when I was looking for a rental on my last trip, renting from the airport was cheaper than renting on-site. It was actually the cost per day for the vehicle that varied, not the fees and taxes, at least in my case.

faline
01-09-2009, 07:16 PM
A few years ago, we needed a car for a couple of days out of a 9 or 10 day trip. We priced out renting a car on-site for the days needed. In the end, we ended up renting a car for the duration of our trip, even though it sat in the parking lot for most of the trip simply because it was less expensive to do so!

E-Ticket4
01-09-2009, 08:29 PM
For our trip last Sept I did a lot of checking on rental cars. When I first started price shopping, I was finding $300+ for 8 days with a mid-size car. Pring was not much better for a compact. I found that the on-site rental cars places charged on average $25 more, it might have even listed on the pricing list as a resort fee, or some other name. In the end, I must have checked a 100 different discount code combos and ended up with a mid-size Dodge Charger for $100.50 for 8 days - whats that $13 a day? Seriously, how could you go wrong.
*keep in mind - at that point gas was up there in price so maybe they were not getting a lot of rentals? But I consider my work to get the rental a big score.

Minnie's Northern Friend
01-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I shopped and shopped for rentals-- we actually used priceline and rented a mini-van for $22/day--

down from the $55 we were quoted.

disneyfan328
01-12-2009, 09:04 AM
for those that have gotten these great deals who did you go to and what discounts did you use? I have been checking and so far found one day rental on property is going to run me 45.00 - If I can rent one for a whole week for 100.00 I would much rather do that!!!!!

scootch713
01-12-2009, 10:05 AM
for those that have gotten these great deals who did you go to and what discounts did you use? I have been checking and so far found one day rental on property is going to run me 45.00 - If I can rent one for a whole week for 100.00 I would much rather do that!!!!!

pm'd you.