PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain/Tommorowland Transit Authority Refurb Start Date & Tentative End Dates

WDWRox
01-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Message updated by Figment! on 02-03-2009 at 7:55 AM:

The Walt Disney World Resort has internally announced tentative completion dates for the Space Mountain and Tommorowland Transit Authority Refurbishments. Currently, the Tommorowland Transit Authority is scheduled to re-open August 19, 2009 and Space Mountain is schedule to re-open November 22, 2009. Both attractions are still scheduled to close April 19, 2009.

Message updated by Figment! on 02-02-2009 at 3:55 PM:

The Walt Disney World Resort has announced a tentative time period for the refurbishment to its Passholders in their most recent newsletter.

In 1975, we were lucky enough to become home to the original Space Mountain® attraction. And now we’re returning the favor—by
returning the attraction to its “opening day” splendor. Beginning in
April 2009, Imagineers will perform a “space-lift” to make this classic
even better.

Don’t worry. The original elements—from the serpentine track to
the exterior silhouette—will remain unchanged when it reopens later
this year.

Message updated by Figment! on 01-06-2009 at 10:09 PM:

In addition to the internal announcements, the Walt Disney World resort has now publicly announced that both Space Mountain and the Tommorowland Transit Authority will be closed for refurbishment April 19, 2009 through at least July 31, 2009.

It should not be expected (at this time) that the attraction will re-open August 1, 2009 rather the current public refurbishment calenders only run through July 31, 2009.

Message originally posted by WDWRox on 01-05-2009 at 12:09 PM:

I found this information on another site, and it sounds pretty definite about the time frame for the big refurb of Space Mountain:

"Space Mountain is set to begin it's year long refurbishment on April 19, 2009. It is expected to open late 2009 with no specific date."

Figment!
01-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Yes, this was recently internally announced.

Ian
01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
"Space Mountain is set to begin it's year long refurbishment on April 19, 2009. It is expected to open late 2009 with no specific date."Looks like they're trying to keep it open through the busy Spring Break/Easter time frame and then take it down in the lull between then and the summer crowds.

DD will be bummed, though, that it's not open when we're there in September.

princessgirls
01-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Looks like I will just make it before the refurb!!

It is mine and the girls favorite, not the DH's however... at 6'5" he gets really banged around in the "space capsule".

Thanks for the info!

Julie:mickey:

Crow
01-05-2009, 01:44 PM
so i will get to show it to the nephews for their first trip Easter wk.
my sister still hates it from our trip as kids in the 70s...now we will see what her kids think.

GrumpyFan
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Are they planning to do the "Rocket Mountain" plussing and re-tracking of it, or is it just a cleanup/refurb?

I don't get why they don't fast track this and do it now. They don't have anything else (known) in the queue to be opening in the next year with the exception of AIE. Both of their Orlando competitors are opening big thrill rides, plus Uni has the Harry Potter land coming soon. It just seems to me they would be trying to get this thing going real fast so they would have something to compete with. I'm afraid they are going to get started with it in April, then once the summer crowds hit, they will see a sharp decline in attendance and push the project into overdrive and make cuts to it so it won't be as good.

P.S. No offense, but I think the title should've read Unofficial - Space Mountain Refurb Start Date

BrerGnat
01-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Oh, yay! We'll get to ride it as well for our trip in March/April before they shut it down. While I much prefer the DL version, my sister and friend who don't frequent DL as I do, would be REALLY bummed if Space Mtn. were closed during our trip. Plus, I still love WDW's version for sentimental reasons. It was my first "real" coaster, and I look forward to riding it whenever I'm at WDW.

Ian
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Anyone know what, exactly, is going to be included in this?

Originally I know the scale was pretty significant ... complete re-tracking, bringing in the new side-by-side seating configuration from DL, sound system installation, upgraded special effects ... the works.

But from all I've read, I'm assuming they've vastly scaled this back and it's now just a standard refurb/safety upgrade, etc.

Does anyone have any details?

DizneyFreak2002
01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Not sure Ian... From what I read on other sites, the refurb was scaled back to maybe a few pieces of track being replaced, better banking turns, and typical sprucing up...

I hope that is not all they do, but, if that's it, then so be it...

Melanie
01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Hmmm, not good. I'll be disappointed if it's just your run-of-the-mill rehab.

DizneyFreak2002
01-05-2009, 10:04 PM

Dunno if I would be disappointed.. Depends on what they actually do... What I read was of course speculation.. Best thing to do is wait until Disney releases what they have planned...

Crow
01-06-2009, 02:33 AM

i agree

WDWFanatic
01-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I hope that they do a really big rehab since we are getting there two 2!! days after it goes down for rehab, lol. It has not been my favorite for a while, just to rocky, so hopefully it will be a better ride.

KylesMom
01-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I too am doing some serious speculating on this news. Rumours had the TTA going down with Space Mtn simultaneously. Now with the post of the rumored Galaxy Palace theater being razed, what are they going to do - shut down 1/2 of tomorrowland, or keep it localized to just the actual coaster & put some type of overlay in the tunnel of the TTA when you go through Space Mountain and the wall where you can see the interior of Galaxy Palace Theater?

One thing I certainly agree on . . . I too would be majorly disappointed if this is a 'standard' refurb . . .

DH took the news last night like a man :D but DS was pretty upset, even though I've been warning him about this for the past two years!

Dsnygirl
01-06-2009, 01:44 PM
"Space Mountain is set to begin it's year long refurbishment on April 19, 2009. It is expected to open late 2009 with no specific date."
I'm guessing that the re-furb won't be what was originally planned, based soley on what you wrote above that they released... how can they do a year-long refurbishment, starting in April, and still re-open in 2009?? ;) I'm thinking that it will be a scaled back re-furb, if it's that much shorter of a timeframe that it will be down. :(

But -- I shouldn't complain -- maybe it'll be open in October after all, and my girls won't care about a re-furb... they'll just want to ride their favorite ride!!

MOJoe
01-06-2009, 02:42 PM
If Space is getting a refurb, Disney won't want us getting a peek while riding along the TTA, right?
I can hear it already, "Now Approaching Space Mountain! ....Pay No Attention To The Men Behind The Curtains!"

sleepingbooty
01-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Well, its nice to hear something semi-official, but I am a bit bummed to hear it will be off line in September. :(

PirateLover
01-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I can deal with Space being down for our trip this summer. I mean I love it, and we used to ride over and over again, but with my fiance's back surgery in Oct of 2007 it's been rough for him, so we only rode twice last trip. A smoother track will be a welcomed addition. I really don't care if they leave the rest of it pretty much the same. What I DO care is if they close down TTA. I mean, I totally get why they would... I think the typical WDW guest goes on the ride expecting to see something, unlike us super fans who just ride the thing around and around for the fun of it. :blush:
ETA: Just heard it IS official for TTA. Oh well.

the other micki
01-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Yep, I saw it on the WDW site as I looked at the April hours today. Space Mtn. and TTA going down for refurb on April 19th. We'll be going on April 26 :( Missed it by one week! Oh well, catch it next time!

Crow
01-07-2009, 01:35 AM
If Space is getting a refurb, Disney won't want us getting a peek while riding along the TTA, right?
I can hear it already, "Now Approaching Space Mountain! ....Pay No Attention To The Men Behind The Curtains!"
:rotfl::pixie:

Melanie
01-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Dunno if I would be disappointed.. Depends on what they actually do... What I read was of course speculation.. Best thing to do is wait until Disney releases what they have planned...

Have you ridden the new Space Mt. at Disneyland (or even in Hong Kong)? Having done so, I'll definitely be disappointed if WDW doesn't get the same treatment. FAR superior rides!

WDWFanatic
01-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Well it looks promising since the rehab looks to be a long one.

I too am more upset that TTA is going to be closed. I really enjoy a rest and ride on that and was hoping for a peak at SM, lol.

Oh well, I can take these rehabs, they are much needed.

goofy for pluto
01-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I also hope that WDW gets more than just a basic refurbishment. The Disneyland version is so much nicer, and the new rocket ships are so much more comfortable to ride in.
I just hope that they don’t change the star tunnel. I love that queue. :mickey:

Crystal
01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Ahh i'm more sad about TTA being down while we are there... :(

Ian
01-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Same here ... I'm definitely going to miss the TTA!

badkitty
01-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Add me to the list for missing TTA the most. SM I can take or leave (the DL version is so much better). But TTA was so relaxing!:(

JPL
01-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I love SM it was my first Coaster and will miss it on my next trip but honestly add me to the list of people who will miss the TTA more since I love to relax and take a ride through Tomorrowland to refresh myself during the day or when I feel myself fading at night.

MarkC
01-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I also hope they do a good refurb. I'm about 6'5" and rode it for the first time in about 5 years during our trip last week. My legs don't fit all the way under the bar and about 1/3 of the way in I knew I made a mistake. The bar kept pounding into my thighs, so I hope this is corrected. And before anyone assumes anything else, I weigh only 205 so for my size I'm not heavy. I just don't fit and would love to ride it without having pain. Mark

BrerGnat
01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Well it looks promising since the rehab looks to be a long one.

Not to burst your bubble, but the DL rehab took nearly 2 YEARS. There is NO WAY they can rebhab the WDW Space Mtn. anywhere near as well as they redid DL's in such a short time period. They can't even do a complete track replacement in under 9 months...they could maybe add new cars with onboard audio...maybe.

I am hoping the original rumor has a typo and they meant that Space will reopen in late 2010. THAT would make a GOOD refurbishment possible.

Ian
01-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm almost positive this is just a pretty standard safety rehab. Maybe some minor track replacement, potentially some special effects enhancements (read that to mean "replacing the 1970's era flashing lights with 2000's era flashing lights"), and then just a basic cleaning/re-painting/polishing, etc.

In only 8 months I can't see them accomplishing anything significant.

WDWFanatic
01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm almost positive this is just a pretty standard safety rehab. Maybe some minor track replacement, potentially some special effects enhancements (read that to mean "replacing the 1970's era flashing lights with 2000's era flashing lights"), and then just a basic cleaning/re-painting/polishing, etc.

In only 8 months I can't see them accomplishing anything significant.

Well that stinks, if we're going to miss it on our trip I'd rather have it for a big rehab;)

Tekneek
01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
TTA is closed simply because Space Mountain is being worked on? Can Imagineering not come up with a way to block the windows in some way that keeps their secrets? As if we ride TTA just to peek into Space Mountain...

I hope there is a better reason for closing it than that.

trackbarroness
01-07-2009, 06:06 PM
In one word Safety

WDWRox
01-07-2009, 06:21 PM
I also found this information regarding the extent of the SM refurb (from the Orlando Sentinel):

"The construction work will include installing new track inside the enclosed coaster, which carries guests in the dark through a series of sudden drops and sharp turns. The layout of the track will remain the same, however.

Other upgrades will include a new enclosure for the ride's queuing area and a new ceiling inside its signature, white dome, Finger said.

Finger said the renovations are the first substantial work on the ride since September 1999. The project follows a series of other makeovers Disney has made in recent years to some of its oldest attractions, including the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean in the Magic Kingdom and Spaceship Earth in Epcot.

Disney fans have been swapping rumors for more than a year that the company was planning a sweeping overhaul of Space Mountain. In 2005, the Walt Disney Co. completed an extensive, two-year makeover of the Space Mountain at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

But the changes to Orlando's version of the ride -- it's the original Space Mountain, having opened Jan. 15, 1975 -- are likely to be more modest.

"We're retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain a right of passage at the Magic Kingdom that's been enjoyed by generations," Finger said."

Stu29573
01-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I may be flamed for saying this, but the idea that they are leaving many elements of the ride the same really pleases me. I know that the DL Space Mountain is wonderful and all, but if i want rock music blaring while on a super-slick high thrill ride, there's another option just a park away....
I like DW's somewhat cheesy rendition of "space- 1970's style," and was disheartened to think it was going away forever....

Just my opinion...:mickey:

WDWRox
01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
You won't get flamed by me......at least not on that. I'm in complete agreement. The fewer REAL changes to the current Space Mountain in WDW, the better. I love the queue music (entering and exiting) and the dark twist and turns of the queue in entering the building, and even the ride itself......the twists, turns, and sudden dips. The only thing I'm glad about is that on a refurb a few years back they finally removed all those stupid TV screens with the Mario Lopez stuff in it.

Melanie
01-07-2009, 07:21 PM
I may be flamed for saying this, but the idea that they are leaving many elements of the ride the same really pleases me. I know that the DL Space Mountain is wonderful and all, but if i want rock music blaring while on a super-slick high thrill ride, there's another option just a park away....
I like DW's somewhat cheesy rendition of "space- 1970's style," and was disheartened to think it was going away forever....

Just my opinion...:mickey:

Have you ridden the Disneyland version?

It's not a thing like Rock 'n Roller Coaster, and it still very much incorporates "cheesy space 70s style". The music isn't rock music at all. I'm sure you can find the soundtrack somewhere on the net.

Like I always say, I'm not great with details, but the Disneyland version is just a well updated version of the ride we all know and love. I say good riddance to a rickety, jerky ride, and I'll take a smooth trip through space anyday.

cindchan
01-07-2009, 08:55 PM

*CHOKE* *laughs* Oh yeah! I can hear it! In that same booming, almost echo-y voice! :funny:

But in all seriousness, I'm glad that I'll get to ride it before it goes down for a long time. I'm going to kinda miss standing in line staring at the ceiling. I know it sounds silly, but I love watching the "traffic". Seeing the huge meteors ply through the skies. But I'm weird that way. ^_^

PirateLover
01-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Ok I admit that I've previously been against WDW getting the DL overhaul but I just recently changed my mind. I watched a great youtube video of Disneyland's version that includes film of the outside, the queue, the actual ride (it's all dark but you hear the soundtrack) and the exit. It all seemed OK, but the exit is what sold me as it still has the classic SM soundtrack, which is what I adore. I did not know that, and that was the main thing I didn't want to lose. So even though it looks like WDW ISN'T doing this... if they did, I would welcome it as long as they kept the original soundtrack in tact for some portion of the attraction :thumbsup:

CaptSmee
01-08-2009, 01:52 AM
I really hope it's a complete overhaul like the DIsneyland version, but it sure doesn't sound like it if it's only for a few months...

Spaceship Tigger
01-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Not too concerned about SM being closed while we're there, but I'm pretty disappointed to hear about the TTA. That's something we could always count on for a break when the park was crowded...

disneyorvegas
01-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I am happy that WDW Space Mtn. will not be totally purged like the one in DL, I like the original set-up, they can just make it slightly smoother and beef up the safety.

I have one question, which may be a stupid one, SM was scheduled for it's annual maintenance this month, for a week or so. Will that still occur, or will it go without any maintenance until it is closed down in April??

scoot241
01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I really hope the queue music stays the same. The Space Mountain entrance music might be my favorite piece in all of WDW.

I'd also like a smoother ride. After riding DL's Space Mountain, WDW's deserves a similar ride. Comparatively, WDW feels like a wooden roller coaster.

Maybe we can get some new meteor effects projected on the ceiling instead of the chocolate chip cookies that fly by, too. ;)

Mr. Brass Bonanza
01-08-2009, 02:55 PM
I really hope the queue music stays the same. The Space Mountain entrance music might be my favorite piece in all of WDW.
Me too! When I first read this rehab would involve the queue area, I was like, "oh no!" The cosmic queue music is something that stays in my head and something I look foward to. I also like the cheesy special effects in the windows that make the little astronaut look like he's moving when you're moving.

Imagine...one of my favorite things at WDW is a queue area. Am I nuts? Maybe...but if they yank all that out, I will be soundly disappointed. Change the ride itself all you want, but please keep the queue area the way it is!

RBrooksC
01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
http://www.wesh.com/cnn-news/18433002/detail.html

Trev&Ev Mom
01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
I am so happy its not January, as originally announced!!!

Ian
01-08-2009, 03:34 PM

It's not a thing like Rock 'n Roller Coaster, and it still very much incorporates "cheesy space 70s style". The music isn't rock music at all. I'm sure you can find the soundtrack somewhere on the net.I totally agree ... the really great thing about the DL version (which I should be riding in ... oh ... about 39 days or so!) is the way it blends newer technology with the older feel.

I, for one, am disappointed that WDW's isn't getting the same treatment. Especially considering the fact that the money they're spending on this rehab virtually guarantees that they won't ever go forward with bringing the DL version to WDW. :(

Coach48
01-08-2009, 04:37 PM
My kids both love The TTA...we're going Apr. 14.Talk about cutting it close!

January-2007
01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
This stinks. We'll be there in May. The TTA is always our first ride. I will miss it so much, and DH will miss that and especially Space Mountain.

CanadianWDWFan
01-08-2009, 07:26 PM
We are going in August, if TTA is down still my little guy is going to be one unhappy camper! :pout::sad:

As for SM, there are always other attractions to go on. But no where to get "around" like the TTA!

joelkfla
01-09-2009, 12:26 AM
The internal announcement says that TTA will "operate with varied schedules during the refurbishment...", which seems to say it will not be down for the entire 6 months.

Tekneek
01-09-2009, 10:23 AM
The internal announcement says that TTA will "operate with varied schedules during the refurbishment...", which seems to say it will not be down for the entire 6 months.

That seems to mean that you will never know when it is open or closed, without actually walking over to it.

GrumpyFan
01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
From the article link above:

"The ride, according to Finger, will retain its classic shape and the track design will remain virtually the same."

This doesn't sound encouraging as far as enhancements go. It sounds as though it will just be a minor refurb as opposed to a major upgrade as some rumors have indicated. However, a news and rumors site, named Screamscape, is reporting the following:

Space Mountain: Mission 2 - Rumor - (1/9/09) While Disney still isn’t saying much, a Screamscape source tells us that Space Mountain will very likely get entirely all new track after all. I know in the past I had heard that they were getting price quotes for both whole and partial replacement and at one point they were leaning towards going the cheap route and just replacing some of the track. According to our source, the new track is necessary due to the new heavier rockets that will feature on-board audio. They also tell us that the queue may end up looking much more like the California version, it should have a new Re-Entry tunnel effect at the end and that we can expect to see station-gates added to the loading areas. Apparently there is also talk about putting in the cool “revolving tunnel” effect on the lift hill, though that aspect has not be finalized since the current version has it’s own uniquely themed lift-hill and there is an effort to preserve some classic elements from the current ride since it is the original.

Imagineer1981
01-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I also hope they do a good refurb. I'm about 6'5" and rode it for the first time in about 5 years during our trip last week. My legs don't fit all the way under the bar and about 1/3 of the way in I knew I made a mistake. The bar kept pounding into my thighs, so I hope this is corrected. And before anyone assumes anything else, I weigh only 205 so for my size I'm not heavy. I just don't fit and would love to ride it without having pain. Mark

Just FYI, the 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 seats have ALOT more leg room then the front. I am 6'2 (and former Space CM) and I fit just fine. The lap bar is still tight but not nearly as bad as the front.

scoot241
01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
From the article link above:

"The ride, according to Finger, will retain its classic shape and the track design will remain virtually the same."

This doesn't sound encouraging as far as enhancements go. It sounds as though it will just be a minor refurb as opposed to a major upgrade as some rumors have indicated. However, a news and rumors site, named Screamscape, is reporting the following:

Space Mountain: Mission 2 - Rumor - (1/9/09) While Disney still isn’t saying much, a Screamscape source tells us that Space Mountain will very likely get entirely all new track after all. I know in the past I had heard that they were getting price quotes for both whole and partial replacement and at one point they were leaning towards going the cheap route and just replacing some of the track. According to our source, the new track is necessary due to the new heavier rockets that will feature on-board audio. They also tell us that the queue may end up looking much more like the California version, it should have a new Re-Entry tunnel effect at the end and that we can expect to see station-gates added to the loading areas. Apparently there is also talk about putting in the cool “revolving tunnel” effect on the lift hill, though that aspect has not be finalized since the current version has it’s own uniquely themed lift-hill and there is an effort to preserve some classic elements from the current ride since it is the original.

I saw Screamscape's rumor earlier this morning. The revolving tunnel is cool, but personally I'd rather keep the current scene for the lift hill.

I'm trying to figure out what they mean by the queue will look much like the CA version. The CA queue isn't much to look at from what I can recall. The first portion is outside, and once you get inside it's just a tunnel (no 3-D star panels or anything) until you get to the loading area and you load in an area that looks like a loading bay with a spaceship in it. The WDW queue is much better IMO except for the loading bay area. This would also require some new structure to recreate the loading bay and enclose the loading area since it's open to the entire dome right now, and you wouldn't be able to watch the cookies, I mean meteors fly by. This is, however, one of the reasons I think DLR's is much darker (the other is because the TTA does not run through it).

Ian
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I saw Screamscape's rumor earlier this morning. The revolving tunnel is cool, but personally I'd rather keep the current scene for the lift hill.Yeah, I agree. I really like the lift hill in WDW.

NotaGeek
01-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I agree. I really like the lift hill in WDW.
Wait until you ride the one at Disneyland. It's AWESOME ... the lift hill is my favorite part! AND ... you can raise your hands without hitting the roof!

Ian
01-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Wait until you ride the one at Disneyland. It's AWESOME ... the lift hill is my favorite part! AND ... you can raise your hands without hitting the roof!You didn't read the whole thread, obviously. ;)

I LOVE the Disneyland version (I've ridden it a few times). And I agree the lift hill in DL is awesome, too, but I kinda want WDW's to retain that part for personal, sentimental reasons.

Has to do with my Dad, who passed away a number of years ago ... long story ...

teamblackwell
01-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I guess its a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the WDW version over the DL version. For me, the DL version is too smooth. I like the jerky feel and sudden drops of the WDW version.

Hammer
01-09-2009, 11:01 PM
While I would like Space Mountain to be improved, I don't necessarily want a carbon copy of the Disneyland version. See, if Disney made too many of the rides exact replicas at both parks, that would give many people less incentive to go to both parks. This would leave to fewer visitors, which means less money, and we know how Disney cares about about their profits (as any business should). Think about it. Why should someone fly 3,000 miles to California if they could experience the same thing a lot closer in Orlando (or vice versa)? Contrary to how it seems on Intercot, there is only a small percentage of Disney fanatics.

Ian
01-10-2009, 01:02 PM
While I would like Space Mountain to be improved, I don't necessarily want a carbon copy of the Disneyland version. See, if Disney made too many of the rides exact replicas at both parks, that would give many people less incentive to go to both parks. This would leave to fewer visitors, which means less money, and we know how Disney cares about about their profits (as any business should). Think about it. Why should someone fly 3,000 miles to California if they could experience the same thing a lot closer in Orlando (or vice versa)? Contrary to how it seems on Intercot, there is only a small percentage of Disney fanatics.Right, but to play Devil's Advocate on Disney's side, remember how much money they save by re-using ride designs.

Cutting out the need to spend all that R&D money makes a huge difference in the cost of an attraction, so being the penny-wise/pound-foolish corporation that they are I'm sure they look at that like a value proposition for the company.

WDWRox
01-12-2009, 10:10 AM
I guess its a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the WDW version over the DL version. For me, the DL version is too smooth. I like the jerky feel and sudden drops of the WDW version.

I agree with that completely. When I watched a video of the Disneyland SM, though, I think I'd like it if it was a two person car rather than the single rider one in WDW.

mjaclyn
01-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Does anyone know what exactly they'll be doing to the TTA? I hope they don't change it too much...I love that ride. It's so relaxing!

Also, I haven't been able to read through all of the posts on this thread so I'm not sure if this has been answered or not...but is the SM refurb going to be anything like the Disneyland one awhile ago? DH and I rode on the *new* Disneyland SM and it was spectacular!! I loved the new cars, smoother track and especially the soundtrack! I think Disney World would greatly benefit from a similar SM refurb. I hope that's what they're planning!

BMan62
01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Does anyone know what exactly they'll be doing to the TTA? I hope they don't change it too much...I love that ride. It's so relaxing!

Also, I haven't been able to read through all of the posts on this thread so I'm not sure if this has been answered or not...but is the SM refurb going to be anything like the Disneyland one awhile ago? DH and I rode on the *new* Disneyland SM and it was spectacular!! I loved the new cars, smoother track and especially the soundtrack! I think Disney World would greatly benefit from a similar SM refurb. I hope that's what they're planning!

Probably not much change with TTA, but it HAS to go down with SM because it goes THROUGH SM. While there may be major construction/destruction going on inside SM, Disney cannot take the chance of having a customer hurt.

mcjaco
01-12-2009, 05:12 PM

It's not a thing like Rock 'n Roller Coaster, and it still very much incorporates "cheesy space 70s style". The music isn't rock music at all. I'm sure you can find the soundtrack somewhere on the net.

It is if he/she rode it during it's Rockin' Space Mountain phases.

Melanie
01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
It is if he/she rode it during it's Rockin' Space Mountain phases.

True, true....but that was only music-wise, at night and long gone, if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't put it past them to bring it back though.

mcjaco
01-13-2009, 10:13 AM
^ I rode it 2007, in the day. They added Red Hot Chili Peppers music and concert lighting to the whole thing.

It literally was RnRC Lite.

I still rate WDW's SM higher than the newer DL version. I just like the track arrangement and the themeing better.

BrerGnat
01-13-2009, 11:38 AM
^ I rode it 2007, in the day. They added Red Hot Chili Peppers music and concert lighting to the whole thing.

It literally was RnRC Lite.

That was just a temporary thing. They also added RHCP music to California Screamin. It was supposed to be so they could call those two "new" attractions, to temporarily boost attendance. It only lasted like 4 months, then back to normal.

It's sort of unfortunate that you did not get to experience the REAL New and Improved Space Mountain, because it really is awesome, and you cannot even fathom how cool it is since you essentially missed out on most of the improvements when they turned it into the "rock concert version". You missed out on the extra darkness, swirling stars cosmos effect, excellent soundtrack, and effect of fans blowing cold air as you "blast through space", which really heightened the whole experience.

I would highly suggest riding it again, before you decide that WDW's SM is better.

I also love WDW's Space Mtn, for sentimental reasons, but it's just not as well executed.

johnO
01-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Some things have become classic over the years and have great sentimental value to WDW lovers. Does everything need to be changed or 'upgraded'? IMHO, what makes WDW such an amazing vacation is the sentimental value one has towards the rides, sights, smells, experiences, etc..., that make WDW more than just a 'place'. SM is a classic at WDW, some things aren't classic, like Stitch's Great Escape..........

mcjaco
01-13-2009, 12:49 PM
That was just a temporary thing. They also added RHCP music to California Screamin. It was supposed to be so they could call those two "new" attractions, to temporarily boost attendance. It only lasted like 4 months, then back to normal.

I am well aware of this.

It's sort of unfortunate that you did not get to experience the REAL New and Improved Space Mountain, because it really is awesome, and you cannot even fathom how cool it is since you essentially missed out on most of the improvements when they turned it into the "rock concert version". You missed out on the extra darkness, swirling stars cosmos effect, excellent soundtrack, and effect of fans blowing cold air as you "blast through space", which really heightened the whole experience.

I have riden it before the Rockin' temporary makeover.

I would highly suggest riding it again, before you decide that WDW's SM is better.

I also love WDW's Space Mtn, for sentimental reasons, but it's just not as well executed.

As my above statements provide, I've riden both. I still find WDW's the better version. Smoothness or new ride technology doesn't excite me. It's the overall experience, and I find WDW's to be better (not superior). The ride is rough, but the experience, to me, is more fulfilling.

Emme&TeddysMommy
01-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Were going to wdw in late September early October, does anyone know a projected open date to the TTA and Space Mountain? I would hate if we weren’t able to ride those on our trip. It’s my father’s first trip back to the world in 8 years and he can’t wait to go on Space Mountain.

BrerGnat
01-14-2009, 11:03 AM
I have riden it before the Rockin' temporary makeover.

As my above statements provide, I've riden both. I still find WDW's the better version. Smoothness or new ride technology doesn't excite me. It's the overall experience, and I find WDW's to be better (not superior). The ride is rough, but the experience, to me, is more fulfilling.

Oh, okay, at least you had a chance to experience the ride as intended. That was my point.

I don't think WDW's SM should ever be a carbon copy of the one at DL, but I think every roller coaster can benefit from a smoother ride, more comfortable seating, and the sensation of going faster than you really are. This is where the WDW's Space Mtn (as well as the Matterhorn) currently lacks, big time. I don't find the enjoyment of getting off a ride with a headache or the feeling of being banged up.

The visual and tactile effects can remain the same, for sentimental value. That, I agree with. They better NOT change the queue music in the tunnel, or the little astronaut holograms, or the lift hill scene. I love that stuff! I even love the "chocolate chip cookie" meteors. :D

scoot241
01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
The visual and tactile effects can remain the same, for sentimental value. That, I agree with. They better NOT change the queue music in the tunnel, or the little astronaut holograms, or the lift hill scene. I love that stuff! I even love the "chocolate chip cookie" meteors. :D

The more I think about it, the more I feel like I would be satisfied if they only changed out the track. I actually do like the "cookie" meteors even though I make fun of them.

Figment!
01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Were going to wdw in late September early October, does anyone know a projected open date to the TTA and Space Mountain? Their currently is not one, other than "Late 2009".

The general consensus of speculation is that it will not open earlier than a Mid-November to Early December time frame.

pluto 77
01-14-2009, 02:23 PM
This stinks! We will be in WDW on our honeywoon in the beginning of October. SM really does need some work, even if it not a major refurb maybe they can make it smoother. But i will miss TTA! It is just so relaxing and we love to ride it in the middle of a crazy day just to relax!

mcjaco
01-15-2009, 12:11 PM
The general consensus of speculation is that it will not open earlier than a Mid-November to Early December time frame.

I would think they'd want it opened up by the holiday season.

epceddie
01-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Just read that Space Mountain will be closed April 19 until late 2009 for refurbishment.

If that's the case, I sure am glad I got a chance to ride it a couple of times the first week of January. It's one of the most popular attractions at WDW and a lot of people are going to be disappointed, but I've also read that the ride really needs some work.

The newsletter also said that Tomorrowland Transit Authority will be closed 4-19 to 8-19.

Tomorrowland just won't be the same without them.

goofy89
01-15-2009, 01:04 PM
The newsletter also said that Tomorrowland Transit Authority will be closed 4-19 to 8-19.

I hope that is true! We usually go to WDW the last week of August and I would be sooo happy if at least the TTA will be open! :mickey:

Tinkerbelly84
01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I heart the TTA :(

scoot241
01-15-2009, 01:39 PM
FYI, lots of discussion here:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=147953

Briansmom
01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
What I DO care is if they close down TTA. I mean, I totally get why they would... I think the typical WDW guest goes on the ride expecting to see something, unlike us super fans who just ride the thing around and around for the fun of it. :blush:

Yes, we can do without space mountain only because our special son cannot ride it as it is now with single seating....HOWEVER......no TTA while we are there in May....OMG...whatever will we do?? I have been going on that since 1975 because I just love it (yeah, I know, I'm weird). Well, I guess I know what we'll do....we won't ride it... :pout:

DisneyTiff
01-24-2009, 10:47 PM
The TTA is one of my favorite rides. You get a great view of many of the landmarks in MK. Fortunately, it will still be runnng during my next trip.

dmosher
01-24-2009, 11:43 PM
I have a very reliable source on this one. This will be a lite overhaul, not quite the usual "just maintenance" but nothing at all near what DL went through. Some general modifications to the que, the tunnel and some interior stuff, but the track will remain pretty much the same, no removal of 2nd track, no change in the lights (not going to be pitch black like it use to be sadly), etc. I know this will be a disappointment to some, but unfortunately, given the time allotment listed, there is absolutely no way a major modification of ANY kind will be taking place.
:pipes:
D

TinkRocks
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I understand the safety issues regarding the rehab of Space Mountain, but why couldn't Disney temporarily enclose the TTA tunnel in Space Mountain?

Dsnygirl
01-27-2009, 01:38 PM
I was very sad when I learned SM would (probably) be down when we take our girls back in October... but based on my experience this past weekend with it, I think that ANY kind of overhaul, no matter how inconvenient, is definitely for the best!!

We were there w/ our girls in December, and SM was down quite a few times in the evenings, closed for the remainder of the night... a few other times, it went down while we were in line and we had to wait while the lights came on and they worked on whatever was wrong...

I was also at Disney for a "girls weekend" this past weekend with friends, and spend a bit of time Friday morning, most of Saturday and a small bit of time Sunday evening at MK - and Space was down 4 times during those short periods!! Twice it was just down for about 20 minutes, and we just had to wait... but two other times, they actually closed down the ride for the evening -- and the last time, I was in line with a special "Priority FP" I'd received b/c of issues at my resort, and I was not too happy I'd given it up for ride they shut down before I was able to get on! :( The did issue "re-entry passes" to everyone, but for those of us that were leaving the next day, it didn't help much. I know, they tried... but for one ride to be down this much... they ought to just take it down now and get the work over with! :confused:

Figment!
02-02-2009, 04:04 PM
**Original Post Updated**

Ian
02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
From what I've heard it should be about a six month rehab, so look for it to be back up and running before the holiday season starts.

Dsnygirl
02-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Well, we are hoping to be back in "the world" in late October, so I will keep my :fingers: that we are lucky enough to find it open again!! :thumbsup:

Figment!
02-03-2009, 08:41 AM
**Original Post Updated**

Dsnygirl
02-03-2009, 09:39 AM
:( Oh well... guess we'll miss SM unless we wait 'til January.... but at least the TTA will be up! :thumbsup: Of course, with the economy misbehaving the way it is, we may wait 'til January anyway -- and then we'd have both!! ;) Decisions, decisions... :blush:

Ian
02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Those dates fit what I've heard and, for us, the timing is perfect.

Our next trip is August 30th, so the TTA will be back up and running by then. After that, it's Christmas so we'll get to see the new Space Mountain!

jcvalenti
02-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I really don't are about Space Mountian (being a 6'3" 250 lbs man, I could never tolerate riding it) ... but the TTA closing really bums me out. That's the perfect ride to end a day at MK .... rarely any wait, a nice relaxing trip, and a constant breeze. Also a great way to take pictures at the park.

My 9 year old was crushed when he found out there wouldn't be any TTA this trip.

battle beast
02-25-2009, 10:37 PM
I am really glad that the Matterhorn ERRR, :secret: "Space Mountain" is getting a refurb... finally. It's really been quite bumpy, so I hope a smooth ride will do the trick!

GothMickey
02-26-2009, 08:14 AM
The date given to reopen Space Mountain is November. However, there are people I know who have said that November isn't set in stone. They believe the refurbishment will go into next year. I'll believe that when I see it though. Phil Holmes hates to have ANY attraction closed at any time. Do you really think he'll let Space Mountain remain closed through the holidays? I have also heard new rockets will be part of this refurbishment. Can anyone confirm that?

Emme&TeddysMommy
02-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Hope this helps!

The Space Mountain rehab has an start/end date: April 19 - November 21, 2009.

The Tomorrowland Transit Authority will be closed from April 19 through August 24, 2009.

PrettyMinnie
02-26-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm glad they are fixing up Space Mountain, I just wish it want when I was there. :(

scoot241
02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Hoping the TTA reopening doesn't get pushed back. I've accepted that Space won't be open on my trip, but it would be nice to at least have the TTA.

Kisobel
03-10-2009, 02:54 AM
thanks for the info

kate

brer frog
03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm going down April 2 - 9 Will the rides be open then? according the the post it will be but I've heard rumors that they will be closed. Did I miss something in the middle of the posts with a date change, or am I there just before it closes?

IamBelle
03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh I'm happy about the TTA opening Aug. 19th! I'm so happy it will be open when I go!! So, when you go through Space Mountain, will you see them working on it?? That would be even better than seeing it with the lights on!

SpecJoe Magic
03-13-2009, 05:16 AM

You, as well as anyone else that is tall, better hope that they don't put the same type of rockets that they use in Disneyland's Space Mountain into WDW's Space Mountain. Granted, the current WDW rockets are a tight fit, but at least it's possible for tall people to ride in them. I'm 6'9'' while wearing my shoes, and I can ride Space Mountain at WDW in its current state. It's not extremely comfortable, but I have discovered a way to sit that makes it not painful (I slide forward in the seat as much as possible, so that the bar doesn't pinch my thighs). I couldn't fit into the rockets at Disneyland's Space Mountain at all. The lap bars are narrow, and there isn't much leg room either. The Cast Members working the attraction were nice enough to give my wife and me Fastpasses for any attraction in the the park (even though she got to ride it). I saw another tall guy not be able to ride it either. I am very disappointed in the design of Disneyland's Space Mountain rockets. People in general are bigger and taller than they used to be, and Disney should have taken that into consideration when they did the refurbishment for Disneyland's Space Mountain. If they decide to add rockets to WDW's Space Mountain that have side-by-side seating, let's hope they they provide plenty of leg room (much like Expedition Everest) for us tall people.

Just FYI, the 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 seats have ALOT more leg room then the front. I am 6'2 (and former Space CM) and I fit just fine. The lap bar is still tight but not nearly as bad as the front.

You are mistaken. In Space Mountain, there are two individual rockets that are exactly the same design that are hooked together, which makes for 6 riders per vehicle. Therefore, seats 1 and 4 have the same amount of leg room. The same goes for seats 2 and 5. Seats 3 and 6 are the ones with the most leg room. There is one positive thing that seats 1 and 4 have going for them in regards to leg room. There is no seat in front of them, which means that they provide ample knee room. I like seats 3 and 6 the best, but I can manage reasonably well in seats 1 and 4. The only seats I completely avoid are 2 and 5, as they are the middle seats on each individual rocket. They do have more leg room than seats 1 and 4, but it's not enough to make up for the loss of knee room.

JPL
03-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I have also heard from several sources that the refurb will most likely take alot longer than the scheduled time frame and to add at least 2 more months to end of the down time.

Mickey Loves Golf
03-18-2009, 08:50 AM
I know this topic has been discussed at length already (and I couldn't find the original post - sorry) but I just heard it from a VERY reliable source that they are not touching the track at all during the refurb. This refurb is going to address the queue in the load area. I was told the "suits" just aren't happy with the look AND they want to address the issue of FP and SB lines...the merge. I think they want to get guests back inside to wait rather that standing outside. I was also told they may be putting gates at the load area. How many times have you seen a younger guest trying to step in the rocket while it was still moving??? So that issue needs to be addressed as well I was told. ONE MORE THING...I was told that WALL-E may be added to the exit speed ramp.

So from what I've been told, this sounds more of a spruce up and safety issue rather than a major overhaul.

Take it all with a grain of salt BUT this source hasn't failed me yet LOL.

scoot241
03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
I know this topic has been discussed at length already (and I couldn't find the original post - sorry) but I just heard it from a VERY reliable source that they are not touching the track at all during the refurb. This refurb is going to address the queue in the load area. I was told the "suits" just aren't happy with the look AND they want to address the issue of FP and SB lines...the merge. I think they want to get guests back inside to wait rather that standing outside. I was also told they may be putting gates at the load area. How many times have you seen a younger guest trying to step in the rocket while it was still moving??? So that issue needs to be addressed as well I was told. ONE MORE THING...I was told that WALL-E may be added to the exit speed ramp.

So from what I've been told, this sounds more of a spruce up and safety issue rather than a major overhaul.

Take it all with a grain of salt BUT this source hasn't failed me yet LOL.

Link to the thread: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=147953

From the first post, quoted from the AP newsletter:

In 1975, we were lucky enough to become home to the original Space Mountain® attraction. And now we’re returning the favor—by
returning the attraction to its “opening day” splendor. Beginning in
April 2009, Imagineers will perform a “space-lift” to make this classic
even better.

Don’t worry. The original elements—from the serpentine track to
the exterior silhouette—will remain unchanged when it reopens later
this year.

Not saying your source is wrong, but in my opinion the AP newsletter saying the original elements "will remain unchanged" and your source saying the suits are "unhappy with the look" are contradictory. Of course, who really knows what's going to happen.

Imagineer1981
03-18-2009, 10:37 AM
From working there I know that it needs a face lift, many of the effects are dated and the inside queue really needs some freshening. Hopefully the few cosmetic changes will help!

Luv Eeyore
03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Still wish they would bring the changes from the DL SM to WDW.

PrettyMinnie
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Glad they are putting in some updates! :minnie:

Ian
03-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Still wish they would bring the changes from the DL SM to WDW.:ditto:

Stu29573
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I , for one, am glad that the ride isn't being changed much. Still, it doesn't seem to me like the changes you mentioned would take that long...of course it could be more involved than what I'm picturing...:mickey:

brer frog
03-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Are they changing the exit queue any?

be neat if they added new holograms to the entrance queue.

DisneyNut2005
03-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Still wish they would bring the changes from the DL SM to WDW.

Personally, I think that they're going to.

CleveRocks
03-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Link to the thread: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=147953

From the first post, quoted from the AP newsletter:

Not saying your source is wrong, but in my opinion the AP newsletter saying the original elements "will remain unchanged" and your source saying the suits are "unhappy with the look" are contradictory. Of course, who really knows what's going to happen.I disagree with your conclusion. I think they are saying EXACTLY the same thing!

The "original elements" that will remain unchanged are the original elements of the ride itself ... you know, the track. "Unhappy with the look" means unhappy with the areas that people walk through ... you know, the 1970s version of what the future would look like. In the 70s it looked very modern and cool, but now it looks "quaint," like looking into a time capsule.

Those two quotes are saying exactly the same thing to me.