PDA

View Full Version : Help for a pregnant kitty!

jeddalynn
01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Does anyone know anything about cats!?

My pregnant kitty seemed to go into labor last night (we knew she was due any day). She started purring rhythmically, acting restless (rooting around) and being hyper affectionate. She had a small mucusy/bloody discharge. She then quickly delivered a undeveloped fetus (about two inches long). After that she kept doing what she'd done before (purring, rooting, cuddling) but after a couple hours seemed to return mostly to normal (although she keeps sticking to my side like glue).

She's eatting, going to the bathroom and drinking like normal but she still looks obviously pregnant.

Anyone expereinced this before or can give advice!?

MNNHFLTX
01-05-2009, 11:55 AM
When I was growing up one of my grandparents' barn cats gave birth to two kittens one morning and then delivered two more kittens the next day. It was odd. So I'm thinking it's possible your cat will still have more kittens.

Did you call your vet this mornng to ask about it? That would probably be the best thing to do.

RenDuran
01-05-2009, 01:59 PM
The only time I was around cats delivering kittens was when I worked at an animal shelter. It was always in the litter box!

My suggestion is to call your vet, like the other poster suggested.

Good luck to your cats!

jeddalynn
01-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Ok, I'm in e-mail correspondence with a vet. Will keep you posted. We're just worried because DH is out of work (but is starting a new job on the 19th, thank God) and has been for three months so things are really tight for us. I'll find a way to take her if she really needs it.

Thanks for the help.

jeddalynn
01-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Update:

The vet set it doesn't seem that she needs an emergency visit because she's not lethargic and is eating well but to keep an eye on here and make an appointment if she doesn't deliver in the next few days.

She is currently cuddled up to me and purring away!

Magic Smiles
01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
I hope that everything goes well. I just loves cats.

jeddalynn
01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Good news! I took kitty to the vet. They took x-rays and it looks as though she has two well developed kittens inside here! She doesn't have a temp. and she's not acting sick so the doctor says we should wait it out for several more days to a week and he expects she will deliver! (though obviously no guarantees).

He says it's rare, but cats can get pregnant again WHILE pregnant! So she must have got out several weeks ago and got pregnant again. That, he suspects, is the fetus she passed Sunday evening. He said not to worry about the light bleeding she's been having. We'll keep in touch until the kittens are born!

Thanks, everyone, for your support and kind words!

RenDuran
01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I was wondering about your cat this morning. I'm glad she's doing okay.

DizNee143
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
glad to hear your cat is doing good..
hope she has her kittens soon..and they are all healthy!!! :)

thrillme
01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I really hope all her kittens are healthy. I LOVE kittens. I adopted a stray that got pregnant at the same time I did (my late husband SWORE he had nothing to do with the cat:blush:).

I do encourage you to look into getting her fixed as soon as the kittens are weaned. There are several organzations that will do the fixin' FREE for certian income levels and others that will do it really cheap (I got mine spayed for $25...of course you're supposed to have their shots updated but I did that ANYWAY because she was a very friendly stray and we were having a "rabies" outbreak in our area...I took her in and got her shots but I didn't know about the "bargin" spay operations at the time).

In the meantime look forward to the kittens...THEY ARE SO CUTE!!! I bought my cat a little kitty condo and she loved it for birthin' her babies. When their time comes she'll like to find a quite dark place.

jeddalynn
01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I am planning on getting her fixed asap. Apparently she needs all her shots first so it should be a couple of months (that's what the vet said).

We're glad its just two kittens because we have a home for both! We're so excited. I hope it works out! I'll admit that now if something goes wrong I'll be pretty disappointed :(

tinksmom02
01-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Good luck with your cat! I have to agree with another poster...you should probably get her fixed as soon as you can after she weans the kittens. My mom's cat kept sneaking out of the house while she was nursing and getting pregnant again. Not to scare you but I think she had 4 litters before we could get her fixed. So keep a CLOSE eye on her if you don't get her fixed right away LOL

jeddalynn
01-08-2009, 07:19 PM
No babies yet but Casey (our kitty) is acting VERY restless. She keeps nuzzling and digging around under blankets and pillows and basically in every place it would NOT be good to give birth in! We've had a box with paper for her for weeks but, of course, in true cat fashion, she ignores it!

I can't wait for our "Casey Jr's" to arrive!

jeddalynn
01-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry to say that Casey's two kittens were stillborn last night. Casey is doing just fine. She has been very affectionate. I was up with her until two last night and she slept with her head on my pillow the whole time. We are very sad but are thinking about adopting a kitten/cat from the Toronto Cat Rescue next month. We're going to give ourselves time to decide because we don't

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement. I'm kind of blue today but I'm just thankful Casey is ok.

RenDuran
01-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Poor Casey...I'm sorry her babies died.

kakn7294
01-09-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm sorry but glad Casey is okay.

Magic Smiles
01-09-2009, 08:00 PM
What sad news, but glad that Casey is doing okay. Adopting another cat would be so great!

Melanie
01-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Awww, I'd been checking back for an update. I'm sorry the kitties were stillborn. :( Glad Casey is okay though! :pixie: