PDA

View Full Version : New RCI trade question

c&d
01-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi, so we were looking into going to Hawaii this summer using our DVC points (saved 2 years of points). When I checked on the options available thru the DVC website there were only 2 options to choose from in Maui. Did we lose all those other options? I also noticed that there were no exchanges for St. Thomas or St. Johns.

I'm not sure I'm liking this. Does anyone know if the website is just not listing all the options?

DizneyRox
01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Something tells me the "deal" with RCI vs II wasn't necessarily in the best interest of the members, unless it was a financial decision in favor of the members (to keep dues lower). But, personally, i would rather have more options and higher dues than less options and lower dues, but surprisingly nobody asked me.

I wonder why I never get asked to take part in these surveys.

Ian
01-05-2009, 02:15 PM
You know, if you're locked into trying to use your DVC points for this trip it really might make more sense to postpone it until 2011 when the Disney resort out there opens.

I'm quite certain your points will go A LOT farther if you do that vs. booking through RCI.

pluto 77
01-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Something tells me the "deal" with RCI vs II wasn't necessarily in the best interest of the members, unless it was a financial decision in favor of the members (to keep dues lower). But, personally, i would rather have more options and higher dues than less options and lower dues, but surprisingly nobody asked me.

I wonder why I never get asked to take part in these surveys.

I was thinking the same thing! Now there seems to be nowhere really to stay in either Italy. I really want to travel there and I wanted to use my points to do so. And I realize they have the Adventures program, but lets face it, I only have 160 pts so I will never be able to do one of them!!! :mad:

DizneyRox
01-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I was thinking the same thing! Now there seems to be nowhere really to stay in either Italy. I really want to travel there and I wanted to use my points to do so. And I realize they have the Adventures program, but lets face it, I only have 160 pts so I will never be able to do one of them!!! :mad:Unfortunately, a minimum contract amount really doesn't get you much outside of DVC. That I will say is one thing that WAS glossed over in my sales pitch. Yes, we talked about using it at II or whatever, but not really how much those stays really cost in terms of points, etc. Luckily, we did the math on the bank and borrow options and figured out the right amount for us.

swampfox28
01-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I didn't know that anyone COULD use DVC points to exchange for RCI points/weeks!

Does that mean there's any way in heck that we could use RCI points to get something at a DVC (or on-site property?!?!)

My FIL has RCI and would let us use the week(s)...!

-Sarah

Disdude
01-05-2009, 10:42 PM
I guess I'm missing something.

One bedroom at the Ka'anapali on Maui
High Season - 160 Points

One bedroom at SSR
High Season - 243 Points
Low Season - 182 Points

I think the exchange rates are decent. I cannot comment on the limited option. I never spent much time looking at what Interval offered. I've never stayed at the Ka'anapali, we only passed by it. We stayed at the Best Western (Dump) last time we were there. It is near the Maui Lea. I really liked the location. I would rather drive to Lahaina and stay in Kihei. Kihei is home to Sansei Sushi. If you like Sushi, this is the place to go. Sunday and Monday always had a line when they opened because they offered 1/2 off sushi for happy hour. Good stuff.

locutus
01-10-2009, 02:34 PM
You know, if you're locked into trying to use your DVC points for this trip it really might make more sense to postpone it until 2011 when the Disney resort out there opens.

I'm quite certain your points will go A LOT farther if you do that vs. booking through RCI.

the only problem with that ideanis that Disney is gonna be on Honolulu not Maui.

DizneyRox
01-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I didn't know that anyone COULD use DVC points to exchange for RCI points/weeks!

Does that mean there's any way in heck that we could use RCI points to get something at a DVC (or on-site property?!?!)

-Sarah
RCI is new to us all, but in the past, people who held II weeks HAVE had diffuculty trading into Disney. This year will probably be easy, and if you want to stay at SSR, I would say your chances are pretty good. But if you want to stay at the more popular/better DVC resorts you will probably have some difficulty. It depends on the location/popularity of the RCI resort.

disney323
01-11-2009, 07:52 AM
I am not happy with the switch to RCI at all. I am very unhappy with the choices that are available. We were going to visit Va. Beach and now we can't because there are no hotels available even near there! I can't believe this!:mad::mad::mad::thedolls::thedolls:

laward32
01-11-2009, 02:29 PM

-Sarah
My parents had II and we have traded twice and the first time we had something within 3 months of the exchange for SSR and this time we exchanged the first of Dec and had something by the 17th for Sept of 09 at OKW. If RCI is not offering as many options as II did, then you may have trouble because DVC members won't be giving theirs up to go other places.
I am really hoping this won't last and when the contract is up they will go back to II, but by then I am hoping to be a DVC owner and not have to use my parents timeshare.:mickey:

swampfox28
01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks!

I looked on RCI's website, but didn't see anything Disney. That doesn't mean it's not there, but so far - no luck!

I'd love to do a DVC - but don't know if we'd get the use out of it to make it worthwhile. If money were no object, I know I'd be thrilled to "have to" vacation at WDW every year (or so) at Beach Club villas - but, for now, we're going to have to stick to our "go as often as we can" plan - which is once every 2-3 years... :(

Thanks for all the helpful info, though to all you timeshare-savvy people!

-Sarah

Patricia
01-14-2009, 08:42 PM
I looked on RCI's website, but didn't see anything Disney. That doesn't mean it's not there, but so far - no luck!

When searching in RCI, use resort codes..

DV01 through DV08 for all DVC resorts. Hope that helps.

swampfox28
01-16-2009, 12:45 AM
Hey - that's VERY helpful, I'm sure...!

THANK YOU!

-Sarah

nic98omo
01-18-2009, 12:05 PM
I am an RCI member with a home resort other than a DVC property. I was able to book a villa and Animal Kingdom for Sept. It was the only availablty offered for the year when I searched. I am finding that the DVC properties' availabilty is rare.

On RCI itself, I have been a member for nearly 4 years. The key to RCI is flexibility and long range planning. Someone mentioned Virginia Beach resorts. The resorts in between Va and Mrytle Beach fill up quickly for summer. If you can't find a resort you want, try the Last Call feature offered by RCI. It offers resorts for a fee of $99-$249 for a week without use of points. I hope that helps you in your searches.

Maleficent's Dad
01-18-2009, 01:12 PM
the only problem with that ideanis that Disney is gonna be on Honolulu not Maui.
:blush: Okay - Not to be "nit-picky," but in actuality, the new Disney resort will be on the island of Oahu. The city of Honolulu is on Oahu as well! ;)

swampfox28
01-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I am an RCI member with a home resort other than a DVC property. I was able to book a villa and Animal Kingdom for Sept. It was the only availablty offered for the year when I searched. I am finding that the DVC properties' availabilty is rare.

On RCI itself, I have been a member for nearly 4 years. The key to RCI is flexibility and long range planning. Someone mentioned Virginia Beach resorts. The resorts in between Va and Mrytle Beach fill up quickly for summer. If you can't find a resort you want, try the Last Call feature offered by RCI. It offers resorts for a fee of $99-$249 for a week without use of points. I hope that helps you in your searches.

I completely agree about flexibility and planning. Since the time share belongs to my FIL, I haven't been aggressively trying to use it to the best advantage; but now that he's let 3 or more weeks EXPIRE (pant, gasp, choke!!), I'm going to just try and use them for us and invite him along (planning WITH him doesn't ever work, btw!)

OH MY GOODNESS - did you say you got ***AKV*** with RCI? Do you use weeks or points?!! We have weeks and I'm kind of freaking out at the mere possibility!!! ('Course, I'd stay ANYWHERE WDW let us if we could use our RCI week, but srsly - AKL!?!? You rock!)

-Sarah:mickey:

nic98omo
01-25-2009, 10:49 PM
OH MY GOODNESS - did you say you got ***AKV*** with RCI? Do you use weeks or points?!! :

I used points on a 2BR. I booked it two weeks ago and took one of two openings in September. There don't seem to be too many opening for AKV, as compared to other resorts.

The only thing I wish I knew is which building I will be in. A DVC rep couldn't tell me until I get a Disney confirmation number.