PDA

View Full Version : Driving from NYC what day of the week?

PETE FROM NYC
01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
My wife and I are both retired,so time is not an issue.After flying down for a dozen trips,we want to to a driving vacation next September,spending at least 10 days at WDW.What days of the week are better driving,traffic wise?
I fiure a two day drive each way,with maybe a couple of side trips on the return.BTW,I am doing all of the driving.

goofyfan4466
01-04-2009, 04:38 PM
my family lives just northeast of philadelphia. we usually leave about midnight friday night / saturday morning. i am the primary driver and i usually drive about 12 hours. we lay over in georgia right off i-95. i have twin 13 year olds so we stop as needed for bathroom breaks.we leave this early to avoid washington early morning rush hour traffic.we stay on i-95 the whole way except now we avoid orlando traffic by taking i-417 ( it is a toll road but well worth the tolls as you totally avoid the dreaded orlando traffic ).if you need any more info. just pm me. we always drive so i may have answers to questions you haven't thought of yet.have fun driving

SteveL
01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
If you come down 95, you will also want to time it to avoid Philly rush hour. Southbound in the morning and Northbound in the evening.

harlowandthemermaid
01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I would drive on the weekend to avoid the DC area weekday traffic, of course there can be some traffic on the weekends, contruction etc so it's always good to check the traffic conditions before you leave. You can take 301 south and avoid DC but it is sort of the long way around DC . WE also try to avoid traffic in Jacksonville and driving on the weekend helps with this, same with Orlando. I don't usually take any of the alternate routes around Orlando but we usually travel on the weekend and traffic is not usually a factor. In my opinion the DC traffic is the worst of the bunch and the one that you really want to avoid the most.