PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Weekends 2009

DizneyFreak2002
01-04-2009, 11:50 AM
My friend, a CM in WDW, said she read in the CM newsletter that the Star Wars Weekends dates for 2009 would be May 22 to June 14... Just passing on a bit of info..

MirandaC
01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
please say this isn't true !! we are going 6/18 for SW weekends!! my husband is a star wars SUPERFAN and will be really really really upset if they have changed the dates to be earlier than usual!!

JPL
01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Those are the official Dates May 22nd through June 14th. They are actually closer to the original May Dates that were common before they interferred with the Star Wars 30th Anniversary Celebration.

MirandaC
01-05-2009, 03:59 PM
i just told my DH!! he is sooo disappointed. we have already scheduled our airfare and can't make any changes! not to mention that we already booked our trip w/ DW. oh no! when did the dates come out?

joanna71985
01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Yay! I can't wait! I hope some of the same celebrities from last summer come back again (specifically Warwick Davis. I would love to meet him again).

wire0monkey
01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
i just told my DH!! he is sooo disappointed. we have already scheduled our airfare and can't make any changes! not to mention that we already booked our trip w/ DW. oh no! when did the dates come out?

I'm so sorry. I hate it when that kind of scheduling doesn't work out.

There are still cool "Star Wars" things to do at the Studios.

It's too bad you're going to miss the parade and the 501st, though.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-05-2009, 04:38 PM

They were posted in a recent Cast Newspaper released from Disney.

KylesMom
01-05-2009, 04:51 PM
They are actually closer to the original May Dates that were common before they interferred with the Star Wars 30th Anniversary Celebration.
Yep, it's been very recent that they changed from a May/June lineup to all June dates. We almost always hit SWW during our early trips to Disney in May . . .

While I'm bummed that they are going back to the May/June timing, at least we'll be able to participate on the afternoon of the 13th when we arrive as well as Sunday the 14th. Miranda, I'm sorry you and DH are going to miss it! :(

dolphinmickey9170
01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
They were posted in a recent Cast Newspaper released from Disney.

Hey Jess, Ben wants to know if you will go with us? Get us into the correct lines and have some fun too? Is there a schedule posted as to who will be where and when?

KylesMom
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Is there a schedule posted as to who will be where and when?
Actually Jessica would be perfect for this one - other than the parades, "hoopla", trivia contest & a few other things, the meet and greets are very poorly marked as to who will be where and when. You really need to find a knowledgeable CM with a coveted schedule (not published to guests) to hit the characters you really want to meet with! 1/2 of the CMs with SWW shirts on never have an idea (nor a schedule), unless they're a character handler.

MirandaC
01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Yep, it's been very recent that they changed from a May/June lineup to all June dates. We almost always hit SWW during our early trips to Disney in May . . .

While I'm bummed that they are going back to the May/June timing, at least we'll be able to participate on the afternoon of the 13th when we arrive as well as Sunday the 14th. Miranda, I'm sorry you and DH are going to miss it! :(

me too! and thank you for the considerate thought! luckily we have been before, but i used SWW as a persuasion tool for my DH! now he is completely bummed. he is an avid collector! i am still happy because we are still going to WDW!! :mickey: but don't tell DH :secret:, i have to be properly upset for him!! ;)

KylesMom
01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Miranda, if it makes you feel any better, I'm sure all of the limited edition merchandise will be gone by the time we get there . . . :(

MirandaC
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
kylesmom,
i sure hope you get some really good stuff!! enjoy your holiday!! :thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Actually Jessica would be perfect for this one - other than the parades, "hoopla", trivia contest & a few other things, the meet and greets are very poorly marked as to who will be where and when. You really need to find a knowledgeable CM with a coveted schedule (not published to guests) to hit the characters you really want to meet with! 1/2 of the CMs with SWW shirts on never have an idea (nor a schedule), unless they're a character handler.

I hate the term handler lol. It makes it sound like I'm fondling them! Well....I do pull on tails a lot but that's a different story!

Nothing yet. They just announced dates. We haven't even started auditioning for cast yet. But I'd expect to see the usual - Luke, Leia, Anakin, Darth Maul, Vader, Amidala, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Aurra Sing, Greedo, Storm Troopers, Clone Troopers, Mace Windu, Jedi Mickey.

Hopefully, the return of Donald and Goofy.

I'll keep an eye out for more information as it comes available.

joanna71985
01-06-2009, 04:39 PM
I hope Leia Minnie, Vader Goofy, and Trooper Donald are back this year.

KylesMom
01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd love to see the return of the face character who was playing Anakin in 2005 . . . WOW! ;)

dolphinmickey9170
01-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I hope Leia Minnie, Vader Goofy, and Trooper Donald are back this year.

I sure hope so too!! WOOHOO!!

Tink#64
01-31-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure when WDW went to all June dates for SW days.? We visited in May a few years ago & it was SW weekends in May then! Hmmm, I guess they like to keep us guessing! It's like the current WDW calendar! :thedolls: It's very hard to schedule these things as far out as we really need to without all of the information! :mad:

joanna71985
02-01-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure when WDW went to all June dates for SW days.? We visited in May a few years ago & it was SW weekends in May then! Hmmm, I guess they like to keep us guessing! It's like the current WDW calendar! :thedolls: It's very hard to schedule these things as far out as we really need to without all of the information! :mad:

The all-June dates were in 2007 and 2008. Before that, they were half May and half June. I prefer the half May/half June dates better myself.

LorrieP
02-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Do the events run Friday, Saturday, Sunday or just Saturday and Sunday??

We arrive on June 11 and are trying to figure out whether to go to DHS on Friday or Sunday?

Thanks

Carol
02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Do the events run Friday, Saturday, Sunday or just Saturday and Sunday??Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

jcvalenti
02-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I was so angry about this ... I bought plane tickets for a trip there this summer, and we're coming down on 6/15. If I had known they were going to move the weekends up again, I'd have gone down on 6/13 so we could be there. This realllllly ticks me off, as SW Weekends were the highlight of our trip back in 2005 and in 2008.

There is always a chance they might "Extend" the weekends. The last time they started in May (2005, I believe), didn't they "Extend" the SWWeekends an additional 2 weekends ?

I pray they do that again, as my 9 year old and his 9 year old cousin (who is also going) are huge Star Wars fans and they love seeing all the characters. Not to mention the 3 year old who is a jedi in training.

joanna71985
02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I was so angry about this ... I bought plane tickets for a trip there this summer, and we're coming down on 6/15. If I had known they were going to move the weekends up again, I'd have gone down on 6/13 so we could be there. This realllllly ticks me off, as SW Weekends were the highlight of our trip back in 2005 and in 2008.

There is always a chance they might "Extend" the weekends. The last time they started in May (2005, I believe), didn't they "Extend" the SWWeekends an additional 2 weekends ?

I pray they do that again, as my 9 year old and his 9 year old cousin (who is also going) are huge Star Wars fans and they love seeing all the characters. Not to mention the 3 year old who is a jedi in training.

Unfortunately they probably won't extend the SWW (as they haven't the past 3 years).

JPL
02-04-2009, 08:24 PM
And not to rain on anyone's parade so to speak but there are also some quiet rumblings that could very well be the last SW Weekends at WDW. I know alot is riding on Star Tours 2.0 and the future of the event. I just wanted to give a heads up to the collectors out there who may want to pick up an extra item or two just in case.

jcvalenti
02-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I really hope they continue the SW Weekends ... both times I've attended, it's been an absolute blast. I would love to see a revised Star Tours ride ... and maybe even another Star Wars themed attraction. Maybe an interactive ride like Toy Stoy Mania .... even a Cantina Bar would be awesome !

I know Star Wars ain't Disney per se, but it fits in seemlessly with the Hollywood theme and really adds a dimension that a lot of people seem to enjoy.

TheRustyScupper
02-08-2009, 06:50 PM
1) I don't understand the disappointments.
2) Planning trips without a WDW schedule is always hit-and-miss.

3) As for this being the last SWW, there are always rumors about this.
4) However, this year the rumors seem to be more wide spread.
5) I think we need to wait and see, after all, they do bring in big bucks.

jcvalenti
02-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Well, unforunately when you have lots of kids and other families and work and school and all that, I can't wait until Jan or Feb to start planning a trip ... it usually takes much longer. Plus for us, our school year in Michigan doesn't end until June 12, so going earlier is not an option.

The disappointment comes from the fact the last few years SWW has all lasted later into June. We went on June 26 last year, and in 2005 (the last time we were there), they had extended it for an extra 2 weekends in June ... so we made it then too.

So there's not a whole lot we could "do" to make it there earlier. I just wish Disney recognized what a draw this is, and either added a couple weekends to accomodate those with school issues, or published schedules earlier so that people at least would know when planning whether or not SWW was going on.

Judging by the crowds last June when we went, it was phenomenally popular ... so I wonder why they would want to cut it short.