PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining a toddler during the car ride

harlowandthemermaid
01-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm trying to think of some new ideas to keep Vivien(18 mo old) in the car on our drive down. WE are planning for a good deal of the drive to occur during her sleeping hours but need some entertainment for the awake hours. Anyone have any ideas? We have driven to florida with her 2 other times but this is the first trip with her since she has started walking .

SAHDad
01-03-2009, 07:00 PM
We don't do many long trips with DD (now almost 2), but we did do a long drive (MI to Omaha) when DS was about that age. We took a lot of kid-friendly music (mostly Disney stuff), some of his books, and a couple favorite toys. And we stopped every couple of hours and let him run around a bit if need be.

I'd say do whatever you did on previous trips, but budget a bit more time for a couple ants-in-your-pants stops.

teambricker04
01-03-2009, 07:49 PM
We only have done a handful of car trips as well... usually to Grammy and Poppa's house. When we only had one son, we would make sure that we could have one of us sit back there with him if we needed too. Generally we bring a good amount of snacks, some kids music, a portable DVD player, books, and instead of crayons (they end up all over the place!) we bring a small magnet drawing board. Plus, it is amazing how entertained my kids are by watching the world go by while we sing a long to our music!

d_m_n_n
01-03-2009, 08:20 PM
We also used the PP's ideas, but one more is...BUBBLES. My kids liked bubbles in the yard, but put them in the car (with the vents going, of course) and it would keep them entertained forever!!! :D

harlowandthemermaid
01-03-2009, 09:01 PM
I would never have thought of bubbles for the car;) She rarely gets to play with bubbles so I bet that would be a real treat. i had contemplated the portable DVD thing since we have one here somewhere. I also have this thing called "A go bag" that I got from this site called A toy garden. I haven't given it to her yet and it's full of all kinds of little toys etc.
Thanks for the ideas!

hubbyofadisneyholic
01-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I think the DVD player is an excellent idea.
When our daughter and niece were little we made the drive to WDW several times and the VHS player and small TV in the van saved our sanity. (pre-DVD days)
Treat bags with puzzles, coloring books, etc. also helped the miles go by.
Driving all night while they were sleeping also made a big difference.

sassy2000
01-04-2009, 09:50 AM
We have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old and have made several trips with them to WDW. We always have the dvd player but also bring books or a magnadoodle to draw on. Also, we make extra stops at rest areas to let the kids run around. We bring a football or soccer ball for them to play with while stopped.
Best advice is to make it as far as you can while kids sleep.

g8rgirl29
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
My car staples for small children are DVD player, Mini Magna Doodle, a variety of Books and Color Wonders. Also try to map out fast food places such as Chick-fil-A that have indoor play areas and clean bathrooms!! This gives your little one a safe place to run off some of that steam. I also try to keep a few surprise toys to whip out in case of emergency boredom!! We also keep one of those battery operated push light (you can put some masking tape on it so it isn't too bright to bug you while you drive), that can occupy a bored toddler for at least 15 minutes. Have a great trip!!

thumperbug
01-04-2009, 11:42 AM
DVD player for sure. Hit the dollar store to stock up on small but entertaining toys that you can give out when she gets restless along the way. Definitely drive while she sleeps...if you can!

Another helpful tip is to limit her intake of anything that may have high sugar or caffeine (not that kids that age get that much) before and during the car ride that might increase any hyperactivity.

Good luck and have a great trip!!

thrillme
01-04-2009, 03:45 PM
The driving while she's sleeping is the best thing. If you still need to continue driving during her waking hours...a DVD is awesome.

Bubbles, colors etc are all good too. Some DVD players have games in them or the cabability of attaching a game system such as "V-Smiles" to them. You'd need to buy a car AC plug for the system but if this is something they like playing at home...this might be cool.

I don't know how long of a drive you have in store but you'll have to make stops along the way to let her work off some energy.

harlowandthemermaid
01-04-2009, 07:03 PM
It's about 14 hours total, but we are going from MD to SAvannah on day 1, about 10 hours. She is pretty good in the car and very good at quiet play at home so I think we will be okay. She gets sleepy in the car so maybe she will sleep a little more than she usually does during the day ;

TheRustyScupper
01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Three magic words:
. . . Ben
. . . A
. . . Dryl

xoHelloKittyox
01-05-2009, 01:19 PM
And we stopped every couple of hours and let him run around a bit if need be.

I'd say do whatever you did on previous trips, but budget a bit more time for a couple ants-in-your-pants stops.

I use to drive to Florida from Essex MD (about a hour away from you Harlow&themermaide) and we'd stop every other state at the states Wlecome Centers. Every stop we were at, no matter what time of day, I'd ALWAYS see a father and a child playing tag! I guess it was a great way to get the kid moving, PLUS I guess they knew a nap wasn't to far away from that nice long run ;)

Three magic words:
. . . Ben
. . . A
. . . Dryl

I know that people do that for plane trips all the time haha It's terrible, but hey do what yah gotta do! LOL!

Good Luck with everything :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
01-05-2009, 08:39 PM
DVD player, lots of Disney movies!
wooden puzzles with BIG pieces.
magna doodle
music
My kids always did fine on long trips as long as they had drinks and food (nothing chokeable)
Make sure when you do stop you let her run her little legs off. Sitting in that same position can cause clots in her legs becuase of the way they hang off the car seat. ( don't want to be a downer but I had read this when my kids were little, many years ago)

diz_girl
01-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Try to time your stops at Cracker Barrel restaurants/stores along the way. They are all along I-95 about every 1/2 to 1 hour of driving. They are pretty identical and well-kept and they have baby changing areas in both the Ladies' and the Men's rooms. Plus, the changing areas are outside the stalls, rather than inside the stalls, and there's more room to change them since the changing area is a counter with a bar on the side to prevent the baby from falling, which is better than the fold-down changing tables in many places. Vivien can run around inside the store (or outside if it's warmer) to release some energy, of course not actually running. You can also get a cup of coffee or tea to go (but no hot chocolate - at least at the store where I asked for it).

As for what to do in the car, someone was in the back with DS most of our drive last month. We just talked to him, sang songs and acted silly. It was a tough drive, though, and I'm considering the Auto Train for our next trip in a couple of years (I hate flying).

DisneyKings
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
aquadoodle is also good for the car. we get up early so they'll sleep & I keep a box of toys to keep handing out. Sitting back with her can help--you can play little games like peek-a-boo... We also use the chick-fil-a website map program to find restaurants along the way with play areas (McDonalds has one too if traveling on Sunday when chick-fil-a is closed). Good luck!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-09-2009, 10:07 PM
They make little hand held video games too. They are around $10-15 and are battery operated. Most kids are very advanced and can figure them out. At least she'll have fun trying.
And I agree with the portable DVD player, just make sure you have the adapter for the car because the charge only lasts about 2 hours.

DlandMommy
01-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Haha the benadril backfired on us our trip back last time he whined and cried fo 3 hours straight:ill:I was so embarassed on the plane:blush:This time were going to our pediatritian next week and see what she can give us this trip:thumbsup::D

another tink
01-10-2009, 07:42 AM
I went to the dollar store and picked up several toys and wrapped them up. Every 2-3 hrs I would give one to my grandsons. This and DVD's worked wonders. Have a great trip.:mickey: