PDA

View Full Version : Torn between Ohana and Chef Mickey's

vorpalswrd
01-03-2009, 04:13 PM
So I want to go to Ohana because I love love Stich but my DH wants to go to Chef Mickey's (mostly for the breakfast pizza). Now we have no kids going with us, other than the ones forever trapped inside our bodies so...Which would you choose. Is the food basically the same at both? Chef Mickey's seems more southern style to me, which I have no problem with, just no Stitch is all...:stitch: The only breakfast buffet I have done in Disney before is 1900 PF. I understand that Ohana is family style and not buffet but that's not an issue. I seems like the Ohana menu is ...lacking in special things whereas Chef Mickey's has some unusual choices. Okay, the more I type the more I have resigned myself to the fact that we are going to Chef Mickey's. Guess I'll have to find Stitch in the park. Anybody think Ohana is the better choice?:confused:

stitchaholic
01-03-2009, 04:32 PM
i never did chef mickey's for breakfast,but we did do the best friends breakfast at ohana's,i loved the breakfast there,there was fresh waffles,eggs,sausage,bacon,fresh fruits and really yummy coconut and pineapple sweet breads,i prefer the atmosphere at ohana's,it is more personal and a smaller venue,along with lilo and stitch you get mickey and goofy and some of the others.
i will be doing both this trip,so i will be better informed then,but if i had to choose,i would choose ohana's:stitch2:

swampfox28
01-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Personally I'd choose the Ohana breakfast ANYDAY over Chef Mickeys. Many people love CM's, but I just didn't like it that much.

I'm a HUGE Stitch fan, so I worked it into our meal plan a couple of years ago (along with CM's another day). It was night and day. I thought I'd much prefer the buffet breakfasts (more choices, etc.), and we DID love Cape May's (in the Beach Club near Epcot) because it had a cool "at the beach" theme and was very intimate and laid back compared to CM's.

CM's was LOUD. And very crowded! And, as I posted a second ago in another thread, you're basically trapped at your table whenever a character gets nearby (even if you don't know how long it'll take them to get to your table) because if you MISS them, you'll wait 45 mins to an hour to wait for them to pass by again.

The food was good, but I felt overwhelmed with the noise and how rushed everyone seemed.

On the flip side, besides the awesomeness that was Cape May character buffet breakfast, my FAVORITE character meal of our whole trip was the Ohana breakfast. It was only about half full (if that) when we went (perhaps not a popular stop - yet?!) But there was Lilo, Stitch, Pluto, and Mickey and we got to spend TONS of time with them! They came by our table every few minutes - and spent loads of time with us and our kids!!

Our youngest was very shy and all of them tried to engage her - but never in an overly intrusive way. Pluto got down on all fours and acted like an adorable puppy to make her smile. Stitch was so intriguing that even though she wouldn't let him touch her, she wound up following him as soon as he left the table (SO FUNNY!) Whenever he turned around she preteneded she wasn't - so he'd keep up with the charade!

At one point, DH took her to the bathroom and our son (9) and I were at the table when Stitch came by. With hand movements, he asked us where she went - and we laughed and told him we ate her. (It seemed funny to us at the time, though it DOES sound weird now!!) Anyway, without missing a beat he rubbed his tummy and made a thumbs up sign. :thumbsup: BOY did we all get a good laugh about that!

OH, the food - I was worried, because I'm kind of picky, but it was, hands down, the best breakfast we had at WDW! The server told me to at least TRY their special breakfast blend punch (that has passion fruit, orange juice, etc.) and I was skeptical - but it was fabulous as was EVERYTHING else they brought us. Esp. the breads and sausages!

Unless you feel you HAVE to experience CM's, you know MY vote for your breakfast!!

GOOD LUCK - I'm sure you'll have fun whichever you pick!!

-Sarah

mom2morgan
01-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I"d do O'Hana's. I find both the food and the atmosphere much better - fun, but more adult. Chef Mickey's is very....BRIGHT. Both are loud, but I find CM's a bit stark while O'Hana's is warm and cozy (just my impression of course). I've eaten both breakfast and supper at CM's, and there really is NOT any unique or unusual food.

ElenitaB
01-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I agree with everyone who's posted here already... I totally prefer 'Ohana over CM. We had a grand time with Mickey, Pluto, Lilo and Stitch; the food was decent; the view was lovely and you could actually converse with the other people at your table.

kathiep
01-04-2009, 09:10 AM
We would choose O'Hana. The food is just better.

mouseketeer mom
01-04-2009, 09:19 AM
They're both so different, you can't really compare.
Chef Mickeys is loud, almost like a breakfast factory..it is very crowded, and you go to the buffet for your food, and the characters come around. You have to watch for the characters, so you don't miss them while at the buffet. However, I don't mean to sound negative, we love this place. It is a high energy, classic Disney character breakfast. The food is yummy, its just a really fun experience. I would recommend trying this place at least once. You can't help but get caught up in the excitement!
Ohana's is family style. The food comes to you, as much as you want, and the characters come to you too. In some ways, its more relaxing. It is also a fun place. There is a morning parade with maracas and the characters for the kids to march in. The juice is fantastic!! A tropical blend that we all love! The food is some of the best breakfast food we have enjoyed on Disney property.
Honestly, you are choosing between 2 of our 3 breakfast places at WDW! Kona being in our top 3 also!

DANAM
01-04-2009, 05:43 PM
'Ohana's all the way!!! That is our family favorite.

threeh
01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
another vote for Ohana's :mickey:

mudpuppysmom
01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
We just did Ohana a couple weeks ago for the first time. My DSis suggested we go there and no one objected (we had been wanting to try it out). I will say that the only thing I really absolutely hated was the checkin....it was horrible! You first have to find the line to get into, then wait to be given a pager, then once it goes off find the CM waiting for YOUR party! Granted, they do all sort of say to each other "who has the XXX party" and it's figured out easily, but it is just so crowded up there where you check in!

Now that the unhappy stuff is out of they way! The food was VERY good and the service was also very good -- the juice was free flowing!! We did have to ask for more waffles and wait a few mintues for them though, but the other food was hot, fresh, and plentiful!! I think my niece and I could have just eaten fruit the entire meal and been happy!!

The kids all enjoyed the characters (which did come sorta fast.....boom, boom, boom and we were done -- free to eat in peace I thought, so it was nice that they came as soon as we were seated I thought....Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Lilo and Stitch came by I do believe [does minnie really come around??? I can't remember without looking at the pics!).

All said, we'd go back to Ohana without a problem or protest.

As for CM's.....my DS#1 wants to go to "where Mickey is the Chef" he tells me.....I will say that I felt very rushed there. There is different food, but I didn't think it was as fresh as Ohana. The character interaction was not very good either -- we didn't see half the characters in the hour and ten minutes we were there! How? I have no idea!! Either DH or I was ALWAYS at the table with DS while the other went to refill plates. It was not worth the wait or the time I thought. I think we would go back here and there, but not something I'd go out of my way for.

Ropachs
01-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Been to both, like them both enough to go back...and back again. If we could only do one, I do think I would choose Ohana, it's just more memorable.

Ian
01-05-2009, 03:42 PM
From my experience, all the breakfast buffets in WDW are exactly the same. Same food, same service, etc.

I'd just pick the one with the characters/atmosphere you think you'll like best.

But I can tell you that we had dinner at Ohana last month and didn't like it at all. I don't get the hype ... the food was bad.

betteratmk
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
:mickey: we like both places, we try to go to Chef Mickey on our first night to get in the Disney spirit! It is loud but you are at Disney! We also love O'Hana's, especially appreciate the laid back atmosphere a few days into the trip when we are beginning to tire out :blush: I don't think you can go wrong with either place, it just depends on what you crave more.

dteed
01-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Both are great, if it was me making the reservations I would just tell him Chef Mickeys was not available. Or, do both on different days, you gotta eat right?

SurferStitch
01-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Ginormous Stitch fan here!! :stitch2:

We eat at 'Ohana every trip (breakfast and dinner). I love seeing Stitch first thing in the morning while having breakfast. Stitch in and of himself makes 'Ohana my favorite.

But....

The food is better at Chef Mickey's. I have to disagree about all breakfast buffets being the same. I think CM's, 1900 Park Fare and Donald's Safari breakfasts each have unique and different offerings.

Our favorite breakfast buffet is Donald's Safari Breakfast. We just love all of the offerings they have, and Daisy is there! It's always been excellent for us!

But, if I could choose only one....'Ohana.

StillSimbaGirl
01-07-2009, 12:47 PM
We went to O'Hana for dinner a few years back...it was okay. Discovered my DD doesn't really like ANY of the food when it is served "family style" - the quality ranges too greatly. Could be hot; could be cold; might be fresh.

She likes it prepared hot for her.

She prefers the buffet at CM. She has more options...and she can spot when it comes out "Hot and Good.""