PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Chef Mickeys???

Trev&Ev Mom
01-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks to the 4/3 deal, we booked an extra day. I had to book an addtional ADR for dinner. I booked dinner at Chef Mickey's for my DH, DS4 and DS8 our first night there. I've never been to Chef Mickeys and just want to know that it isn't a big mistake. We already have booked LeCellier, O'hana, Tutto Italia, Mama Melrose Fantasmic Package, Teppen Edo, Chefs de France. Let me know what you all think about Chef Mickeys and whether I should keep it or look for something else.
Thanks!!!

big blue and hairy
01-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I would keep it. IMHO Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace are the kings of character meals.

:sulley:

mom2morgan
01-03-2009, 11:52 AM
For the sake of the kids, it is a GREAT reservation! We've been twice. We weren't terribly impressed with the food or service last time, but it wasn't horrible. The food was standard buffet fare - enough decent food to eat, but probably the weakest meal of the trip. BUT that isn't really the reason to go to Chef Mickey's - it is the characters! And they do a great job. I'm not even sure my nine year old ATE but she's raved about the meal ever since (oh, scratch that - I know she ate SOMETHING because she also loves the "make it yourself" sundae bar for dessert!) Your other reservations are for great restaurants, but not really "child centered" so this will probably be the one your kids like best. (actually, even my 16 year old liked it - we have pictures of her "kissing" both Mickey and Donald - and the characters were doing a really cute little pose with their hands up to their faces like they were blushing. These are now on her Facebook page entitled "my vacation romances". LOL)

WDWFanatic
01-03-2009, 11:54 AM
We really enjoy the dinner of the breakfast at Chef Mickey's. It's pretty much standard buffet food, but the characters are plentyful. It would be a great way to end your vacation.

Enjoy!

ElenitaB
01-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Please don't flame me but I'm not a CM fan. Granted, it's the only character meal outside the parks where you can hobnob with Mickey (at dinner) and Donald (Minnie, Pluto and Goofy hang out at Cape May at breakfast time, and Mickey and Pluto hang with Stitch and Lilo at breakfast over at 'Ohana). However, the "f" that many associate with Chef Mickey fun, translates into frantic and frenetic for me.

The number of children crying because the characters weren't at their tables yet was just overwhelming. Then, of course, were the kids who just didn't wait until the characters came to their table and just joined in on the fun at our table (makes for some great pics to have an unknown child in your pics) while their mom and dad were MIA in the parenting department.

My DS did have fun but he was very disappointed when certain characters never made it to our table. And since there are sooooo many tables to be visited, the characters really just came by for a hug, an autograph and a picture. CM was our first character meal but we've since discovered that there are better experiences to be had where the characters have the time to interact with the people in your party and not have to rush off to the next table.

Your mileage may vary, and it's a good opportunity to meet the characters your first night without having to enter a park. By no means is it a "big mistake." It was just an experience (or experiences because we went back another year) that I don't want to repeat.

tadshome
01-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I would keep it. IMHO Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace are the kings of character meals.

:sulley:

I totally agree... Chef Mickey and Crystal Palace are fantastic :cloud9:

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
01-03-2009, 01:29 PM
:mickey: We enjoy both breakfast and supper at CM's. Characters are the big show here, but there are a couple of really good things on both the breakfast and supper. Lots of standard buffet food, but enough choices to make everyone happy. We are booked in again in April !!

DANAM
01-03-2009, 01:47 PM
We are not huge CM fans either. The atmosphere is great but if you really enjoy the other places you picked I would probally say you aren't going to be fans of the food. Don't get me wrong the food is not bad but it is definately not one of the better ones either.

stitchaholic
01-03-2009, 01:50 PM
i think that your kids will love it! my 2 kids did DD8 and DS6,the food is ok,you will find alot to eat,but it's fun there,that is what it is meant to be.

King Triton
01-03-2009, 01:57 PM
I'd definitely keep the Chef Mickey's reservations. Your kids are perfect ages for it!

Trev&Ev Mom
01-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the great opinions. We've never done a CM with the boys (boys are a bit tough - all the princess stuff doesn't do much for them) so I was a bit concerned.

swampfox28
01-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I think you should keep it - it sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your other choices and have made some great selections. It might be just what you hoped for and I personally know people that like it. (I MUCH prefer the Ohana breakfast that has Mickey, Pluto, Lilo, & Stitch or Cape May that has Chip, Dale, Goofy, Mickey, and Minnie.) I know, however, that sometimes I love places that others are only so-so about it's true that many people on Intercot LOVE CM's.

When we dined there a couple of years ago for breakfast, we weren't that happy with it. We liked taking the monorail to the resort and THAT was fun, but then we got there and it was so loud even OUTSIDE the restaurant that we were stunned!

Okay, popular kids place, we'll just adjust... Well, it stayed loud and REALLY crowded. We were told by our harried host/server (it's a buffet, but you do get a person that assists you) not to be absent when a character comes by because it'll be another 45minutes to an hour before they return! WHAT!?

We felt like we were trapped at our table the second a character entered the room on our side because we didn't want to miss the autographs, photo ops, etc.

The food was no better or worse than the other breakfast buffets, but IMO MUCH less intimate a place to hang out with characters.

I guess I sound like I'm being negative, and I'm sorry - I know how stressful it is trying to make the "perfect" choices and hearing so many differing views. If it were me, I'd consider what my famliy was doing that day and what kind of place they like. If you might be at Epcot, I really do love Cape May's breakfast and it is usually SO much more calm and has a neat beach theme. If you're doing MK, then CM's or the Ohana breakfast would work because each is a short monorail ride from the MK.

...Wait. Did you say breakfast or dinner? If you said dinner, then I've got less info!! (Sorry!) But we DID love Whispering Canyon - not a character meal, per se, but in a GREAT hotel with LOTS to see/do and a VERY fun atmosphere!

Okay, enough confusing info for now! Hope I helped a little and didn't make things worse. Have a great trip!!

-Sarah

MinnieMommie
01-03-2009, 05:18 PM
CM is a fun, active (as well as interactive) venue. The food is fine enough, plentiful and varied with an impressive desert selection. We used to take our kids on each trip when they were young. It is worth a try at least once. During our experiences at CM the characters always spent time at our table and there were always ample photo opps. Get ready to twirl your napkin! :mickey:

jpH/keD
01-03-2009, 05:30 PM
We have been to WDW twice and plan on several more before our kids are grown. Chef Mickey's is our MUST DO dinner. Gotta have Mickey time and he comes around more than once! The food is basic, however the desserts are pretty good! We choose different restaurants each time EXCEPT CMs!! Try it- I think your kids will love it! :thumbsup:

mkymouse0206
01-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Chef Mickey's is a must do for us.:mickey: Our first night at Disney we eat at CM to kick off our vacation. Our last meal we eat at Ohana.:lei: Just a tradition for our family and the two meals we most look forward to. I wouldn't say the food at CM is outstanding but you can't beat the atmosphere, the kids love it!

mic_keyfan
01-03-2009, 09:23 PM
DH celebrated his birthday there a few years ago, what a blast we had lots of attention from the characters and a sing along with them all! Both of our boys and their Grandparents thoroughly enjoyed themselves! Food is OK nothing to write home about...Would recommend breakfast as we found it to be better than the dinner!

nicjohn3
01-03-2009, 09:31 PM
It is a must at least one time--We have went the past 3 times we went to DW, however, if you are going for a "great" meal--forget it. It was okay IMO. I am not a big breakfast person so that may be it. I love the atmosphere and the monorail ride. I love the fact that you can get pictures and autographs without having to stand in line in the parks. They rotate through within an hour. We are going to try Ohanas in March instead.

tinksmom02
01-03-2009, 09:57 PM
CM is becoming a must-do dinner for us each trip. True, it's loud and crazy, but our DD loves it. The food seemed to be better in Sept 2008 than it was in 2007. The characters do kind of zoom by, but we've always had most of the characters stop by twice, and we've never missed any.

I think your sons will have a great time.

mom2morgan
01-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience! It certainly was loud, but there weren't any crying or roaming children the times we've gone. And I thought the service staff was pretty good about monitoring where the characters were at...Goofy got to the table before ours, then had to go in the back, and when he came out he went straight to the table right AFTER ours. Our server, Steve, noticed before we even had a chance to say anything and came right over to say he'd send Goofy our way right away.

Please don't flame me but I'm not a CM fan. Granted, it's the only character meal outside the parks where you can hobnob with Mickey (at dinner) and Donald (Minnie, Pluto and Goofy hang out at Cape May at breakfast time, and Mickey and Pluto hang with Stitch and Lilo at breakfast over at 'Ohana). However, the "f" that many associate with Chef Mickey fun, translates into frantic and frenetic for me.

The number of children crying because the characters weren't at their tables yet was just overwhelming. Then, of course, were the kids who just didn't wait until the characters came to their table and just joined in on the fun at our table (makes for some great pics to have an unknown child in your pics) while their mom and dad were MIA in the parenting department.

My DS did have fun but he was very disappointed when certain characters never made it to our table. And since there are sooooo many tables to be visited, the characters really just came by for a hug, an autograph and a picture. CM was our first character meal but we've since discovered that there are better experiences to be had where the characters have the time to interact with the people in your party and not have to rush off to the next table.

Your mileage may vary, and it's a good opportunity to meet the characters your first night without having to enter a park. By no means is it a "big mistake." It was just an experience (or experiences because we went back another year) that I want to repeat.

wdwfansince75
01-03-2009, 11:05 PM
To the OP....We have done CM breakfast and dinners with kids and grandkids aged 3 months to 43 years, and all ages in between. It's not gourmet dining, but not one of our rather large family group ever left hungry. We have pictures from at least 8 different years, over the last ten years ( and even from the 80's, although the CR character buffet had a different name back then). We have never been disappointed. The last trip, our party of 12 celebrated most of the party's arrival night at CM....wonderful way to start the trip, and DGS#4 had his first character meal that night....He was hesitant with the Big Cheese, but really warmed up to Goofy.
We have never been rushed, nor have we ever had the unknown child problem....but we have always had 3 to 7 children in our party.....maybe they slipped in undetected...... With parties as large as 15, we have never been seperated. Did get 3 tables with the party of 15, but they were next to each other.......As individuals, we all have other favorites, but as a group, the clan considers it one of the "must do's" each trip.

Trev&Ev Mom
01-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Thank you all for your great opinions. We are looking forward to CM now thanks to you all!!!

wickedwitch
01-04-2009, 06:27 PM
We do chef mickeys everytrip.the food is meh,but face time with the big cheese without waiting in lines is worth it.

Plus my 16 yo dd must get her minnie in traditional dress picture or there will be an issue!

mrmcgiv
01-05-2009, 02:33 PM
we went our 1st trip for dinner dd - 6 ds - 3, it was fun, food was OK, seating was poor, Svc good, char interaction - OK. We went last month for breakfast , DD 6, DS 4. fOOD WAS FAIR, svc wa porr, character interaction was so-so. If you have never been I would go once (for dinner) and decide for yourself. We will never go back.

CU Tiger
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I would keep it if I were you. Of the sitting options, we enjoy breakfast the most. The number of characters is great and they have a lot of food options for breakfast.:mickey:

megustamex
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Another vote for really don't like it. The food was really awful IMO. The characters were the best of course, because you get all the classics. We went in the late afternoon and had a lot of attention too. Just really hated the food.