PDA

View Full Version : question about kid clubs

scootch713
01-03-2009, 09:25 AM
We are going with a large group(30+) My one daughter is the only one who is going to be in the 7 and under club. She will be 7years, 7 months at time of sailing. Is there any way she can go with the 8 and up group??(which would include her 10 year old sister) Also, are parents allowed to play in the play area with the kids at all(say for an hour or so?) thanks much.

ElenitaB
01-03-2009, 11:50 AM
From what I understand, for moving children up to the next group they are evaluated on a case by case basis, but it seems that it happens more when they are much closer to their birthday than your daughter will be. What they will allow more easily is that your 10 yr old join in her younger sister's group.

Parents are allowed in the first night, from what I remember, to help the kids (and the parents) get comfortable and acclimated.

My DS was 10 by the time we started cruising so we don't have much experience with the younger age groups. By 10, the last thing he wanted was Mom around at the Lab. ;)

scootch713
01-03-2009, 12:14 PM
My husband doesn't want our 7 year old in there alone.... and maybe her 10 year old sister would go with her. She is actually the problem(10 year old) We "briefly" lost my then 6 year old at an aquarium and since then she has been having HUGE anxiety issues about being away from either of us(even by a few feet), to the point we are about to have counseling. Thanks for the info.....

TammiMcMan
01-03-2009, 01:00 PM
We had a similar situation. Our then 7 year old, was only 2 months away from her 8th birthday. Her cousin was 10 and we spoke to the counselors about moving her up to the lab. They talked to her for a few minutes and agreed that she would be fine with the 8-10 year old group. I don't think I would consider moving a 10 year old down. They would be bored to death.

Definitely inform the counselors about any anxiety issues and you may want to keep a close eye on the activities that are taking place at the lab. They do sometimes leave as a group and travel to meals, the movies, or another area of the ship for trivia games or even up on the sports deck. It sounds like that could cause some concern for your 10 year old.

Parents can come into the club/lab with their children and play games, although you don't really see that much with the older ones. Again though, just set aside some time at the beginning of your cruise to sit down with a counselor and probably your 10 year old as well. What they say could put both your minds at ease.

DisneyFr33k
01-03-2009, 01:41 PM
When we sailed last February, our 10 year old went down to our 8 year old's group. We didn't know we could ask to move him up. He is actually the physical size of a 12 year old and ironically our now 11 year old is the size of a 9 year old!

TammiMcMan
01-03-2009, 01:57 PM
When we sailed last February, our 10 year old went down to our 8 year old's group. We didn't know we could ask to move him up.The 8 year old would still be in the lab though. They share the same play area with the older kids, but do different group activities. I think in the OP's situation, her youngest is not yet 8, so she would be in the club still with 3-7 year olds. That's a different play area and includes activities like dress up, playing on the Pirate ship and having tea with Wendy. A 10 year old would probably not have very much fun moving down to that age group.

On the Disney Cruise line website, they do have podcasts which give a great overview of both the club and the lab.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks to the OP for this question. I am concerned somewhat as well.

My DS6 is very mature for his age. He plays with his DS9 and older friends all the time. I am concerned that the 3-7 yr old club will be too "childish" for him. I hope your right...that they will look at each situation on an individual basis.

TammiMcMan
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
My DS6 is very mature for his age. He plays with his DS9 and older friends all the time. I am concerned that the 3-7 yr old club will be too "childish" for him. I hope your right...that they will look at each situation on an individual basis.They definitely review case by case, however, it's typically with children that are within a few months of the next age group. Unfortunately, I don't think they'd be willing to move someone 2 years younger than the next age group. Please let us know how it turns out for you.

scootch713
01-07-2009, 07:46 PM
They definitely review case by case, however, it's typically with children that are within a few months of the next age group. Unfortunately, I don't think they'd be willing to move someone 2 years younger than the next age group. Please let us know how it turns out for you.

This is the response I am getting just about everywhere.... makes sense though as those kids could potentially be with 11 year olds.

TammiMcMan
01-07-2009, 09:26 PM
This is the response I am getting just about everywhere.... makes sense though as those kids could potentially be with 11 year olds.And I think the staff ratio per child is lower in the lab as opposed to the club. Plus they give parents the option of letting children leave on their own, without having to be signed out.

Auroring Good Time
01-09-2009, 05:15 PM
No worries about a 6 year old being bored, they have plenty of activities as well as computers and games. My DS was 6 the first time he went in. He was and still is a very active and very intelligent boy. He enjoyed the activities so much, it usually resulted in tears to pull him out of there at night. Also, from what I remember, the 3 and 4 year olds have some different activities that the 5-7 year olds.