PDA

View Full Version : Beverages - Free vs. Charge

CleveSJM
01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
We booked our first cruise for our 20th Anniversary in October. I want to make sure we budget well.

I understand all the booze on board and on Castaway Cay are an extra charge. No problem there because we aren't big drinkers. But what about soda and coffee and the non-alcohol drinks (like the n-a drink of the day I see in Navigators)?

I understand there is a 24hr beverage station for soda. Does that also have coffee/tea? Also, what about "fancy" coffee in the cafe or bars? Or soda in the bars or at the pool, or even at Castaway Cay?

And I think I know, sodas are included with the meals.

Is there someway to prepay for "unlimited soda"?

Thanks!

tinktude
01-03-2009, 09:25 AM
When we went last year it was like this. If you asked for soda in the bar area you had to pay for it. If you got it while eating it was included with the meal. The soda stations on the upper decks are all you can drink no payment required. I do know that there was hot chocolate up there, but since we are not coffee drinkers I did not look to see if there was coffee.

I am almost positive that if you get any specialty coffee's then it will require payment, as well as the special drink of the day.

pilk
01-03-2009, 10:39 AM
We did a cruise in May '08. Same as tinketude we aren't coffe drinkers. What I can say was that any non-alcholic drink (except "sparkling water") was included in the meal costs. As I recall there was coffee at the drink station.

You do pay for drinks (non-alcholic included) at any of the bars.

TammiMcMan
01-03-2009, 11:54 AM
But what about soda and coffee and the non-alcohol drinks (like the n-a drink of the day I see in Navigators)?As previously posted, soda, coffee & tea are free at the drink station and when ordered in the restaurants with your meal. You will pay extra for anything you order at the bar, get from waitstaff, purchase at the movie theatre or get from the speciality coffee shop. That includes non-alcoholic drinks.

I understand there is a 24hr beverage station for soda. Does that also have coffee/tea? Also, what about "fancy" coffee in the cafe or bars? Or soda in the bars or at the pool, or even at Castaway Cay?Yes, coffee & hot water at the drink station. As posted above, there is a charge for fancy coffee and anything you get at a bar. There is a free drink station on Castaway Cay, or you can pay at the bar.

Is there someway to prepay for "unlimited soda"?The very first DCL cruise we took, you could purchase a sticker to put on your key to the world card. It worked great for the kids, but I'm nearly positive they did away with it when they opened up the drink station.

ElenitaB
01-03-2009, 12:07 PM
You will pay for "drinks of the day" -- alcoholic and non-alcoholic. There is a charge for anything purchased at the Cove Cafe (specialty coffees and teas). There is a charge for smoothies at meals as well. There is also a charge for sodas that are requested as part of room service.

Plain coffee (i.e., not cappucinos or expressos or "specialty" coffees) is available at no charge at the restaurants, as is tea (but not a chai latte as it falls in the specialty drink category). Brewed tea is also served at no charge and there is a very nice selection of Twining's teas available at meals, through room service and at the beverage station on Deck 9.

The beverage station does have coffee (decaf and regular) available. My memory fails me though when trying to remember if hot cocoa was available or not. Sorry!

miasmom
01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Is the 24-Hour Beverage Station free, or do you have to pay for those drinks?

TammiMcMan
01-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Is the 24-Hour Beverage Station free, or do you have to pay for those drinks?free at the drink station

CleveSJM
01-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Thanks everybody! Couple follow-ups. On Castaway Cay, is there a beverage station by the adult beach or just one "kinda" central?

Also, what is the approximate charge for a specialty coffee or non-alcholic smootie type drink?

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

TammiMcMan
01-04-2009, 02:10 AM
If I remember correctly, the specialty coffee prices were in line with someplace like Starbucks. I want to say the smoothie drinks were closer to $6-$7, but they were fairly large and came in the collectable plastic mugs. If you do purchase from waitstaff around the pool or at the bar, then don't forget to factor in the 18% gratuity (it's automatically added).

DisneyFr33k
01-04-2009, 08:03 AM
On Castaway Cay, is there a beverage station by the adult beach or just one "kinda" central?

There is a drink station near the outside seating area where they serve lunch. It isn't too far from the beach, depending on where you decide to set up camp on the beach. When we went, we tried to be one of the first off the boat to get a good place.

susie & perla's mom
01-04-2009, 02:52 PM
do they still have the refillable mugs?:cheers:

ElenitaB
01-04-2009, 04:06 PM
We've cruised in 06 and 08 and didn't see refillable mugs like at the WDW resorts. Sorry!

From what I recall, the smoothies at dinner were around $4 (different from the smoothies at the bars and at CC). As Tammi said above, the specialty coffee and tea drinks at the Cove Cafe were in line with Starbucks prices. BTW, the Cove Cafe also has a "frequent flyer" card. Ask for it if you're going to be there often.

DisneyFr33k
01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
do they still have the refillable mugs?:cheers:

We cruised last Feb and there weren't any then.
:(