PDA

View Full Version : A few dining reviews

mudpuppysmom
01-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi all~

I've not yet finished my trip report, so bear with me there.....it's really been a tough few weeks here with illness here at home and also the death of one of our beloved pets two days before Christmas!

I did think though about where we ate and what we thought and thought I would share.

As many know from my trip reports so far my DSis and her clan went along this trip. I had told her we needed to make ADR's ahead of time if we wanted to eat at decent places.....well, I was proven wrong and right all in the same trip!

I had made a few ADR's for my family ahead of time.......we ate at Tokyo Dining (the CP package), CP and Jiko. We all were supposed to go to CP together, but plans changed.

Where we ate on the fly:
Sci Fi -- I walked up because everyone was on the verge of a meltdown. I thought we would go to the Backlot Express, but my DSis said, "Why not right here".....they seated us in less than five minutes. We were unimpressed with the menu and I think the only thing that was semi edible was the reuben and DH and I both ordered. DS actually ate his entire meal, but I think that was because he was busy watching the movie and he paid no attention to what he was eating! DS ordered pizza and it was a bit nasty....a dry tasteless crust with canned sauce and a SPRINKLE of cheese on top! DH and I ordered the reuben as stated and they were good, but I would not go back just for that. DSis ordered spinach and artichoke dip b/c she could not find anything else on the menu that she would eat (gee, you'll eat spinach and artichokes and call everything else weird??). The girls both ordered mac n cheese and they thought it was gross, so they ate nothing. We were in and out in about 30 mintues, but it was OK in my book!

Also at MGM we stopped by the Writes Stop so DH could get some coffee (and I could get a brownie!). The brownies are like the Mickey Head brownies.....exactly the same just the shape is different!! OH, how I love them!! I got two and wrapped one up and enjoyed it at home when we got back!! Ahhhhhh, I needed that when we got home let me tell ya!

We were supposed to have breakfast at CP, but plans changed when DSis' boyfriends plane was delayed big time in Philly for his flight down to us and he didn't arrive until 2:30 am and we got back to AKL around 3:15, so getting up and out to MK was not in the cards, so I got up at 7 am and cxl'd the ADR. When my DSis got up she asked if we could still go, just later......um, no! Instead we ate at the Mara for b-fast that morning and it was good, just was we needed and the kids platter was plenty for me; DS had waffles; DH had something, it escapes me though! and DSis and her kids shared a platter and some potatoes and something else, but they were at a different table, so I didn't see everything they had, but DSis did say it was all good!

At AK our family ate at Tusker House, I had no ressie, but I walked up b/c I had intended for us to try Flame Tree, but we were right there and DH actually said to go see if we could be seated, and we were within ten minutes. We ate here in January and this time I could eat meat (I was preggo last time and no meat or protein was what my now DS#2 insisted I take in, so now I know why he is allergic to protein!) Anyway, it was all very yummy once again!!! We'll definitely be back here in the future, but I must say I do miss the old Tusker House.

At DTD on Saturday DSis had requested I make an ADR for her for Capt. Jacks...so I called Dining and they had a table in 30 mintues, so we were off!! We got there and the place was NUTZZZZZZZZZ!! I told her how to get there and my DH waited in line at T-Rex while I showed her where to go......I thought we'd be waiting FOREVER for T-Rex, but it turned out they were seating people as they walked up, so we waited about 20 mintues. DS had seen the construction going on in January and he was psyched to eat here!! He remember about it month after month and nagged me to death about eating there, so we HAD to!! I will say we have eaten at RFC before and the food was a little different, but we all enjoyed it. Our experience here thou was a bit subpar. We were seated in the back, next to the ice room (not sure which room it was, but it had dinos in it!!). DS#1 really enjoyed himself and DS#2 actually was pretty interested in looking around (he's 6 months old). We ordered an app first along with DS#1's meal so he could get started. A few minutes later we ordered the rest of our meal. Now, about 10 minutes later DH and my meals come out......no meal for DS and no app! The server looks puzzled and says he'll be right back! Apparently the back lost our ticket but they were working on DS's meal now....not what he ordered but he ate it nonetheless! He ordered mac n cheese and out came the every famous chicken strips (or nuggets -- I forget which they were), but he ate them! The manager came over an apologized and said she would take care of it on the bill......DS's meal was taken off. Um, we never even ate the flatbread we ordered, so we boxed it up and took it back to the lodge -- since we were paying for it! I'd go back again though despite the mix up.

Ghiardelli -- we met up here after lunches on Saturday....Turns out DSis took one look at the menu at Capt. Jacks and decided they were not eathing there (so much for the ADR I made in haste!) -- instead they ate at RFC (had I known that, they could have eaten with us!! Anyway, I told the kids I would buy them ice cream....so DSis and I went in and ordered cones, but only two of them, she said the girls could share and I knew DS would not eat an entire cone himself, so we shared too. Somehow our ticket got lost and we waited for what seemed an eternity!! Finally we got our cones and everyone enjoyed them! It was the first time we had actually gotten anything inside the soda fountain b/c the lines are always SO LONG!! I would go back again, but not if the lines were out the door.

Tokyo Dining -- I had made an ADR for the CP package and this is where DH wanted to eat (I wanted to eat at Biergarten!). Our ADR was for 5:45 and we were not seated until 6:30. I knew we needed to get in line for the CP so I was nervous!! I had the Bento Box, DS had teryaki chicken and DH had sushi sampler and sake sampler. He enjoyed his meal enough he said he would like to go back. DS liked his meal too (I surmise because of how it was served...but I digress enough). I am not sure I liked the food at all, but I took one for the team and ate there. DS had to use the restroom and we had to walk thru Teppan Edo and he said he wanted to eat there next time!! I think I'd like it better there too, so next time we'll give TE a try!

Jiko -- I also had made ADR's for our family there and thought it would be nice we would just have to wander upstairs after dinner.....and it was nice!! DS#2 had a melt down near the end of the meal so DS#1 and I stayed and paid the bill and got dessert to go while DH took DS#2 upstairs and got him ready for bed. I know we had a flatbread for an app, DH had a glass of wine and DS had the mac n cheese as usual. I ordered the shortribs which is out of character for me. They were very good!! Our server though I remembered from our first trip there and I must say, he has not chaged at all......he just is not up to my standards in a signature restaurant. He never acknowledged DS's presence at the table even when he said EXCUSE ME pretty loudly! He just looked to me for direction on his meal and questions. I tried to let DS speak for himself, but the server just would not have it. Now, I know this is a signature dining place, but I will defend DS and his manners on this one. Kids can dine at these places and mine is one of them -- he is polite and quiet during his meal and not at all disruptive. I can't say the same for the 6 month old though, but that is my fault for taking him there -- but he too will learn how to behave himself in public as he grows! I'm not so sure this will continue to be a must do for us in the future, but I do like it there.

Casey's == we were on our way in one day and the kids said they were hungry and Casey's was right there! I said they had good corn dog nuggets and that was all that was needed said! No line inside and the kids all ate well......corn dog nuggets, dogs and fries all around! It was OK for what we needed and everyone left full.

Aloha Isle -- we HAD to stop for Dole Whips!!! I got DSis hooked on our first night in the World when we went to the Poly to watch Wishes from the beach!!

Which reminds me....Capt. Cooks -- we ate here our first night. It was OK, but fit the bill......kids had grilled cheeses and that is what I had too....the adult version. This kids' were like bricks but mine was good! I got a dole whip for the fireworks show and everyone wanted a bite!! Needless to say it was gone in no time flat!

We ate at Mara a bunch of times and it was all good.....I'd go there if we were not in a park and needed something quick.

We also ate offsite a few times as we had a car and could do so.

We didn't eat at some of our normal places, but that was ok, we had some new experiences!!

I think I covered them all!!

SBETigg
01-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the report. You had some interesting experiences. I think the server at Jiko was awful to be rude to your DS. Signature dining doesn't mean no families or kids welcome. It's Disney. I think it's great that your son wants to order on his own and I hope he wasn't discouraged.

WDWFanatic
01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
First, so sorry about the loss of your pet:(, and hopefully you've gotten all the germs shipped out of your house!

Great report. I'm glad you were able to do some walk ups. I'm hoping it will be the same for us in late April when we go.

pdrlkr
01-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the reviews! :eat:

Natazu
01-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Bummer about the server at Jiko. Do you remember who it was?