PDA

View Full Version : Moderate Result - Family of 3 - one 4 yr. old child

MindyMouse76
01-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Hello!

The last time I was at Disney was in 2000 - before we were married. We now want to take my 4yr. old little girl. Last time we stayed at the All Star Music. We loved it there, but want a little bigger room etc. Because of that we already decided we want to stay at a Moderate Resort. We are planning on going the second week in November. I am leaning towards POFQ, but not 100% sure. I have heard that some people say it is more romantic - so not sure if it is OK for a family... We like pools, but my daughter still gets scared when it gets in her face and splashing. Do they all have shallow ends? Do all of them have a playground? I heard that the POFQ one is tiny. Any pictures of that? Also - how far away is the food count at POFQ to the Riverside one? Do they serve the same food? Also - does the Carribean one really have a sandy beach that she could play in - not that I am sure we will have time for that!

So many decisions! :-)
Any suggestions for a family of 3 - one child that will be 4 yrs and 10 months old that the time we go.

Thanks again!
Mindy

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
We love POFQ! We're also a family of 3, myself, DH and DD who is now 10. We've been to FQ twice, when DD Was 7 and 9 and it is her favourite resort. We actually tried to change resorts for our upcoming trip and she refused to stay anywhere else.

So, the playground is fairly small, but it is a set of climbing equipment and didn't seem to be too busy. The pool is great. There is a slide, but it isn't too high or too fast, and there is a kiddie's pool and I've seen lots of kids playing on the stairs in the shallow end.

The food court at FQ is quite good, and again, because the resort is smaller, I've never been when it is crazy-busy. Riverside has a larger selection of "Grab-And-Go" items, but otherwise they both serve the standard food court fare. FQ has beignets that are cooked fresh to order (So yummy!) Depending on where you are in the resort POR is a short walk away, or you can take a bus or boat over the main building. But, in the time we've been at FQ we've only ever gone to Riverside to grab some sandwiches to take home with us.

We like the small size of FQ, the last thing you want to do when you're tired is walk for miles at your resort.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
01-02-2009, 11:26 AM
POFQ is the best mod resort for small children. Everything is close by, it is quiet, the pool is great but not over the top. There is one bus stop and the food court is adequate. We have stayed at all the mods and they each have something special. Having two kids of my own we always have a less stressful time at POFQ.

CanadianWDWFan
01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
We have been to POFQ twice and actually prefer it to any on the other Mods. We have two boys (10 and 4). They both love the pool. Being the smallest resort is perfect for us. No room is very far from anywhere on resort.

To get to POR is about a 5-10 minute walk depending on what end of the resort you are staying in.

vicster
01-02-2009, 11:51 AM
We stayed at POFQ for the first time last September. I loved that it's a smaller resort. The reason I didn't care for CBR is that it's just too large. I would definitely stay at POFQ again.

MindyMouse76
01-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks so much! I think I am sold on the POFQ then!

Is there a specific building I should request? Any better than others? I also noticed that it can be cheaper if you get a Standard View vs. the Water view? It is really worth the extra money for the Water View when you are really just sleeping there?

Thanks again!
Mindy

teambricker04
01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
We generally do Values or Deluxes. The only mod we have stayed at is the POFQ. We LOVED it!!!! The pool was a bit smaller than we thought it would be, but our oldest (4 this month) is scared of the water so small works. It isn't very shallow, but if your DD is a swimmer, she would be fine. There is also a small kiddie pool. We really enjoyed the smallish feel of it and that there is a boat to DTD. It was much quieter than the AS and we liked the choices at the food court. The buses were great and the stop easy to get to from all areas of the resort.

vicster
01-02-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't think it's worth extra money for a water view. If your kids want to use the pool you might request a building close to the pool. The great thing about this resort is it's small and all the buildings are relatively close to the pool and food court. Last year at CBR we were so far from the food court we had to take an internal bus to get there.

MindyMouse76
01-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Is there a layout I can see of the different buildings within POFQ? Just to get an idea of everything.

Thanks again!

vicster
01-02-2009, 01:43 PM
INTERCOT > Resorts > Disney Resorts > Port Orleans French Quarter Resort

Port Orleans French Quarter Resort

INTERCOT Recommended

Magical Journeys Travel

click here to reserve a room or find a vacation package today with INTERCOT's Official Travel Partner!

Without a doubt, our favorite moderately priced resort themed after the French Quarter in New Orleans. This hotel has a great pool "Doubloon Lagoon" architected around a sea serpent, food court, Mardi Grogs bar, and interesting Gift Shop. The combination of detail, service, value and comfort make this resort outstanding.

Accommodations:

Size of Rooms: 314 square feet

Number of beds: 2-double beds (846) - King beds (62), 12 disabled-accessible rooms.

Features of Room: A nightstand, refrigerator, an armoire, a TV, a luggage rack, a small safe, a small table with 2 chairs

Roll away bed - $15.00 per night night.
Cribs are available upon request.

Bathroom: 2 pedestal sinks with mirrors in a vanity area separate from the tub and toilet.

Balcony: No

Occupancy: Maximum four-person occupancy per room. If there are more than 2 adults in a room, there is an additional charge of $15 per adult, per night.

Dining:

Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory Food Court
Hours: Continental Breakfast: 6am – 7am
Breakfast: 7am – 11:30am
Lunch: 11:30am – 5pm
Dinner: 5pm – 10pm
All-Day Dining: Pizza Shop and Bakery - 6am – 12am
Range of Food: baked goods, pizza, pasta, fresh fruit, hamburgers, fried chicken, Tex-Mex , and breakfast items
Prince Range: $3.00 to $8.00 per entree

Mardi Grog’s
Pool Bar
Hours: 11:30am – 9:45pm
Range of Food: Hot dogs, submarine sandwiches, ice cream novelties

Scat Cat's
Lounge
Hours: 4pm – 12am
Range of Food: featuring a full bar, specialty drinks, appetizers, sandwiches, salad, and soup

Sassagoula Pizza Express
Room Delivery Pizza*
Hours: 4pm - midnight
*a 17% service and gratuity charge is added.

Recreation:

For the Swimming Fan: The main pool area, Doubloon Lagoon, features water slide and a hot tub.

For the Mouseketeer: A children's playground is located at Doubloon Lagoon.

For the Game Player: South Quarter Games Arcade

For the Athletic One: Jogging and walking trails located along Sassagoula River. The Dixie Levee marina is located along Saasgoula River and offers boat and bicycles rentals. Carriage Rides are also offered. See our Horseback Riding & Hayrides for more details.

Fishing excursions are 6:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.
(Hours vary seasonally.)

Cane pole fishing near Ol' Man Island
$4.00 per half-hour per pole.
Family special (four to six poles) - $12.50 per half-hour.
Reservations can be made up to 60 days in advance.

For the Shopping Guru: Jackson Square Gifts & Desires - 8am – 11pm

Transportation:

Bus: Bus transportation is available to all theme parks, water parks, and the Downtown Disney.

Approximate Duration:
Disney's Hollywood Studios -- 15 minutes
Epcot -- 10 minutes
Magic Kingdom -- 10 minutes
Animal Kingdom -- 15 minutes
Downtown Disney -- 15 minutes

Boats: You may reach Downtown Disney by traveling on the Sassagoula River Cruise.

Don't know if there's a layout but this will tell sort of tell you which buildings are closest to the pool/food court. Hope it helps.

Room Location:

What building is closest to the pool area?
Building 5 & 2

What buildings are closest to the main bus stop?
Building 4

What buildings are closest to the food court?
Building 4 or 3

tinksmom02
01-02-2009, 02:55 PM
I agree with everyone else's comments regarding POFQ. I think it will be perfect for your family!

Regarding room requests, the first time we stayed there we had a waterview room in building 5. Our room faced the river and it was lovely. We were right around the corner from the pool. It was really a perfect location.

Last trip there weren't any waterview rooms available so we got a standard and requested (and got) building 4. Again, close to everything, including the bus stop.

I like the size of the resort, and the natural stuff that can entertain kids. My daughter (and husband) had fun looking for frogs in the fountains each night. The resort just never seemed that busy or crowded. (Course, we were never in the food court during peak times).

I think you'll enjoy it. I think 4 & 5 are closest to everything, but even the "far" buildings aren't really that far away.

sainter
01-02-2009, 04:56 PM
You asked about the 2 foodcourts -- they do NOT have the same food choices anymore. POR has several "made to order" choices and FQ has several New Orleans type coices. I like that we can walk to either to have some different things!

nicjohn3
01-03-2009, 09:16 PM
We have stayed at POR several times and love it. The boat ride is nice--20 minutes ride to DTD or 5 minute ride to POFQ.

FQ is smaller than POR. The food courts at both are good. No problems with buses, however, some times the buses pick up FQ first so that is good for you.

Beignets are a must!! Take the time to walk both resorts --they are very pretty and both are very quiet!!

mini
01-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Resort maps can be found under Info Central tab

wdw_bound
01-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Unless you have the same sleeping habits as your 4-yo, I would recommend the waterview (and a couple of fold-up chairs). That way, you can put her to bed/nap and take your foldup chairs and sit just outside the room (and I do mean just outside for safety reasons). With a waterview room, you can sit peacefully with your refillable mug cotemplating the day you have just had. Of course, you could do this without the waterview, but it wouldn't be nearly as nice.

Have a great trip - your DD is at a wonderful age to soak up all the magic. :mickey:

buzz2001
01-04-2009, 07:59 AM
CSR!! Queen beds, newly refurbished rooms and many more deluxe amenities for the same price as other mods.